Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 04:26 AM

376 posts, read 652,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Never before in history has a President with such a horrible record been so popular. The closest thing we've ever had to this was FDR in 1936, but at least unemployment was lower then than it was in 1932 when he took office. Obama supports, having no real record to stand on, have been running an overall negative campaign against Romney but Obama himself is no saint and there is a lot of dirt there if you want to dig deep enough. People act like they don't even care about this Libya scandal but I can guarantee if it was a Republican president, the main stream media would be all over it and people would be marching in the streets about it. But Obama can do no wrong!

The main line we hear from Obama supporters on the economy is how much worse it would have been if Obama hadn't have been elected to stop the bleeding. The thing is, we have no way of knowing for sure Obama had anything to do with the economy bottoming in March 2009 plus that was so soon after his inauguration his policies didn't really have time to take effect. Other than that, Obama supporters either whip out race or accuse Republicans of homophobia. Why are these such big issues in such a critical time in our history when we have so much else we need to be focused on?

Why the continued love-fest for Obama among the younger generation who are $40,000 in student loan debt with college degrees they can't use and working at Little Caesars living in their parents' basements?
The media have created a myth of what Obama is and most of the youger generation have bought it and most of them are easily manipulated by the media and popular culture. I know most of my daughters friends like Obama because the popular culture has manipulated them. They don't have a clue relaly about his plicies besides what has been fed them.

One interesting fact is that it's the yound and poor that have been the most negatively affected by Obama polices and they like him. Conversely, the wealthy have benefited the most from the wall street bankers bailouts and they don't support him has much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 AM

27,124 posts, read 15,303,353 times

Old 10-14-2012, 08:57 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Watching the debate reminded me of a child set out on his own after being raised by parents who failed to teach him responsibility and accountability and let the child think that he was above being corrected or disciplined.

The VP debate
The Occupy fools who believe urinating on a police car is a meaningful political statement would no doubt be impressed with Joe's immaturity, unprofessionalism and his disrespectfully wagging his finger in the face of the female moderator. Uncle Joe had brought us back from the Obama debate debacle they say.

One has to wonder about the serious younger voters who are gainfully employed or the older Democrats who had to experience some queasiness watching the man they want to re-elect to be a heartbeat away from the presidency demonstrate such immaturity and poor character in front of a nationwide audience.

Somehow I have a problem seeing Old Joe's bullying behavior as being appealing to very many young folks who are victims to similar condescension from arrogant professors, demanding bosses, and even older family members who still view them as callow children.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
Quote:
Never before in history has a President with such a horrible record been so popular. ?

Bush is still popular amoung Conservatives, talk about a horrible president being popular.

The fact is that Obama is still popular because the republicans have put out such a weak and horrible candidate. They have no one to blame but themselves when they lose the election.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,278 times
Quote:
Never before in history has a President with such a horrible record been so popular. The closest thing we've ever had to this was FDR in 1936, but at least unemployment was lower then than it was in 1932 when he took office. Obama supports, having no real record to stand on, have been running an overall negative campaign against Romney but Obama himself is no saint and there is a lot of dirt there if you want to dig deep enough. People act like they don't even care about this Libya scandal but I can guarantee if it was a Republican president, the main stream media would be all over it and people would be marching in the streets about it. But Obama can do no wrong!

The main line we hear from Obama supporters on the economy is how much worse it would have been if Obama hadn't have been elected to stop the bleeding. The thing is, we have no way of knowing for sure Obama had anything to do with the economy bottoming in March 2009 plus that was so soon after his inauguration his policies didn't really have time to take effect. Other than that, Obama supporters either whip out race or accuse Republicans of homophobia. Why are these such big issues in such a critical time in our history when we have so much else we need to be focused on?

Why the continued love-fest for Obama among the younger generation who are $40,000 in student loan debt with college degrees they can't use and working at Little Caesars living in their parents' basements?
His record isn't that bad considering what he was handed and his policies benefit the majority of Americans. There are enough people out there that realize this to elect him again. One of the biggest reasons he's popular is that after the Bush years We were so hated international that we had to elect someone like Obama to patch things up a bit and change the international communities opinion on us. Conservative politics make us look like cavemen to other industrialized nations and most Educated people know this. whether they care or not is another story. It's pathetic that Americans where literally claiming to be Canadian while traveling abroad and some still do because of cowboy politics.

Young people like Obama because they can relate to him better. The guy is mildly religious if at all, He's extremely open minded and he comes from humble beginnings. Do you think mitt Romney has ever smoked weed and listened to hip hop or donated plasma to put gas in his car? Hell no, He seems like a decent man That thinks he knows the answers but he can't relate with the common man the way a guy like Obama or Clinton can. Guys like mitt Romney think that all you have to do is lower taxes and get rid of the safety nets and the economy will flow like the Nile river. For the most part that's true on paper but how does making the wealthy even richer and creating low paying jobs with poor benefits for the majority really help this country?

How does mitts life have anything to do with mine or anyone I know.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:21 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,061,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
It's spiritual alright, it's called voodoo!
I can understand why you would say that. That is a small minded conclusion that anyone can draw. I don't sense our President is involved in that, but perhaps someone in his bloodline was. This happens everyday, like some people wonder why they keep going through same situations that are negative, its all spiritual. This is a very spiritual world. I considered Romney after the President agreed to same sex marriage. But when I looked at my beliefs, principles and morales they do not align with Romney.

I know there is freedom of religion in this country, but I am not comfortable with a Romney fratanizing with the dead, that is part of Mormonism, the baptism of the dead. In the Bible it states that we are not to have any dealings with those who have gone before us.

My other issue is Romney is a liar. I know politicians are but Romney is extremely crafty and not to be trusted. Believe me I am not one of those under Obama's trance. The thing is Obama is not aware that he has this gift, I believe it is from his forefathers.

Romney's religion is NOT one of Christian faith. I would not want a man in the White House who believes that Christ and satan are brothers. That is the Mormon belief. My concern is what if he wants to cohort with that evil brother?? I believe Romney is going to lose because he has not shown the American people who he really is.

In the next debates I sense that the world will really get a glimpse into who he really is, Romney. He isn't a bad man, but his intentions are aligned with ALOT of greed. Deep down he is shrewd and wouldn't help someone suffering even if he had the means to. The Bible teaches to help those in need, and NOT brag about it.

Romney has sown alot of bad seeds in his past and he will reap it one way by losing this election. I feel sorry for him and his family because he is not strong emotionally and it will be a blow to him and he may be ill for a while, not severely ill, like an ulcer or depression or hernia. Its important don't just listen to what the candidates say, but read body language and listen to your gut. On the campaign trail Romney's words do not align with what he is conveying. Fortune can't not buy your happiness and success, in his mind as he is campainging (Romney) he feels that this big corporations are backing him and will force employees to vote for him, but little does he know his plan will back fire. Before every action be prepared for a reaction, and because seeds sown from past by Romney(Bain, calloused words, etc) he will reap. I have sympathy for Mitt Romney and family because them losing the 2012 election is going to really rattle them, but they will eventually recover

Old 10-14-2012, 11:23 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Your post is all over the place, but for the main points:

-Nearly all economists agree the recession would've been much longer and deeper if no stimulus had taken place.
-The current economic conditions were not going to be vastly improved in a few years, because they took much longer than a few years to occur.
-People aren't blaming Obama for the Libya attack any more than they blame Bush for 9/11, Clinton for the Tanzania/Kenya attack or Reagan for the Lebanon embassy attack.
-Obama is popular with his supporters for the main reason Romney/Ryan is popular with their supporters: people tend to vote along social issues. People who are pro-choice, pro-gay rights, etc will automatically vote Democratic.
-Obama has actually done well in his time in office, especially with foreign policy and civil rights issues.
-Young people probably appreciate his fighting to keep the interest rates on student loans low (since you broguht them up).

This

Old 10-14-2012, 11:38 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
-Obama is popular with his supporters for the main reason Romney/Ryan is popular with their supporters: people tend to vote along social issues. People who are pro-choice, pro-gay rights, etc will automatically vote Democratic.
-Obama has actually done well in his time in office, especially with foreign policy and civil rights issues.
I and my spouse are pro-choice, pro-gay rights and do not vote automatically Democratic. Personally I do not understand why anyone would vote using the pro-choice/pro-life issue...it was a Supreme Court decision and the President has not authority to change it, no matter what his own personal stance.
Global Opinion of Obama:
http://www.pewglobal.org/2012/06/13/...icies-faulted/

Could you explain to me what Obama has accomplished with foreign policy and civil rights issues? Thanks

Old 10-14-2012, 11:41 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Bush is still popular amoung Conservatives, talk about a horrible president being popular.

The fact is that Obama is still popular because the republicans have put out such a weak and horrible candidate. They have no one to blame but themselves when they lose the election.
Bush was popular in 2004 among conservatives and some independents. He had lost most of that popularity by 2008. Today, he gets looked back on more fondly due to the fact Obama has been so horrible he makes Bush look good by comparison. Its a fact through MOST of Bush's Presidency Americans were doing much better than they are today.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:29 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Romney's religion is NOT one of Christian faith. I would not want a man in the White House who believes that Christ and satan are brothers. That is the Mormon belief. My concern is what if he wants to cohort with that evil brother??
Spoken with the arrogance of limited information. Ya gotta love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections