U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:00 AM

11,127 posts, read 12,825,996 times

Advertisements

As the GOP seeks to redefine itself and connect again to the core principles that used to be the basis of its ideology, such as fiscal responsibility, strong family values, and strong national defense, leaving many of the party faithful wondering why so few of the top candidates this election cycle represent these views.

The war party of neoconservatism that infected the GOP like a parasite to a willing host once again rallies around front runner Rudy Giuliani, all the while openly endorsing Hillary Clinton as a plan B, in case the Rudy machine fails. Fred Thompson, seen as the great white hope from down south, with his southern colloquialisms and folksy mannerisms has so far played the role of the sleepy grandpa who dozes off halfway through his grandkids bedtime story. Of course there is always Mitt, three card Romney, who will be more than happy to tell you anything you want to hear, and often does. The GOP seems to have sent McCain back to Vietnam to finish his sentence and all but abandoned him. Oddly enough there is Huckabee, who seems to “fit” and speaks with a rather appealing tone that would make him a more obvious choice to social conservatives, yet his fundraising efforts are, well, flat as a pancake.

There is of course that quirky lil fella from down Texas way who keeps going on about something called our Constitution and how it is eroding. He points out that we as a nation are spending ourselves into oblivion and are in fact placing future generations of Americans into servitude for our irresponsibility today. Then he goes on about some silly stuff like freedoms and liberty, oh so 19th century stuff, so out of date that it simply does not apply to us folks today, in our modern sophisticated world. There is also that stuff about staying out of other peoples business, I mean really, who doesn’t love a nation that doesn’t impose itself on others for their own good. All those simpletons, savages and misguided fools of the world that could so benefit from our illustrious ways.

Well apparently there is a whole bunch of folks here in America and even abroad that think what this man has to say is worth listening to and they are. In fact, if you look up newspapers in Fl, MN, NH, TN, CA, WA, and numerous other states there often local articles about his crazy followers spending their weekends on street corners waving signs and handing out information. Many of the Paul supporters have started attending other candidate’s rallies and events to pass out literature and information while they give up their own personal time. While most GOP candidates are seeing a decline in fundraising, this guy is starting to pick up the pace and the money is flowing in like the Amazon River. Many GOP and even the Democrat candidates are in awe and drooling over the level of support at the ground floor this man is garnishing. The donations that are pouring in aren’t from a few large donors or special interest groups, they are 5,10,20 dollar type donations from more different people than all but a few of the top campaigns. This translates into a very broad base of support as most who donate also vote, like me.

The next step, slander, cheap shots, denunciation, and an all out effort to portray this defender of our Constitution as nutty, out of touch, or at best, idealistic and based outside of the realm of real possibility. While this is taking place there is our commercial media that has chosen to take the “ignore him and it will go away” approach, but even that isn’t working now. The entire establishment that has already picked the candidates for Americans to choose from, you know, Rudy or Hillary, are completely freaking out over what to do next. They can’t seem to attack him personally, after all he has been married to the same woman since like the Stone Age, and he isn’t pandering to any special interest groups, as was witness at the debate at Morgan College. It is also why Ron Paul is so thin in stature, as he won’t allow special interest to buy his lunch. What is left but to attack his positions and this is where it gets really fun since his basic platform is based upon adhering to the very documents that structure our government, society, and way of life.

While the NY to DC corridor of power and the GOP does not know what to do about this dark horse phenomenon, a growing number of Americans do, and they are. As those politicians and power brokers that are so out of touch with main street America will try whatever means possible to maintain things as they are, they will continue to experience what is known in foreign policy circles as “blow back” as it only serves to strengthen this campaign. Paul supporters have not been swayed or deterred by these tactics, nor I suspect will they but to those on the fence you may want to take a second look. Too often people claim they are tired of having the choice between the lesser of two evils and when the opportunity comes along to support a candidate who is obviously better, they succumb to the notion that they are unelectable. This is your chance, an opportunity is at your doorstep, and not nearly the long shot than some may claim. You now have a choice for something other than a spinmeister, double-talker, flip flopper, power monger. There is only one GOP candidate that can not only appeal to the general GOP but many moderates, independents and even a healthy amount of democrats, but also could face and defeat the juggernaut that is the Clinton dynasty and that is the Ron Paul revolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 09:59 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,961,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
As the GOP seeks to redefine itself and connect again to the core principles that used to be the basis of its ideology, such as fiscal responsibility, strong family values, and strong national defense, leaving many of the party faithful wondering why so few of the top candidates this election cycle represent these views.

The war party of neoconservatism that infected the GOP like a parasite to a willing host once again rallies around front runner Rudy Giuliani, all the while openly endorsing Hillary Clinton as a plan B, in case the Rudy machine fails. Fred Thompson, seen as the great white hope from down south, with his southern colloquialisms and folksy mannerisms has so far played the role of the sleepy grandpa who dozes off halfway through his grandkids bedtime story. Of course there is always Mitt, three card Romney, who will be more than happy to tell you anything you want to hear, and often does. The GOP seems to have sent McCain back to Vietnam to finish his sentence and all but abandoned him. Oddly enough there is Huckabee, who seems to “fit” and speaks with a rather appealing tone that would make him a more obvious choice to social conservatives, yet his fundraising efforts are, well, flat as a pancake.

There is of course that quirky lil fella from down Texas way who keeps going on about something called our Constitution and how it is eroding. He points out that we as a nation are spending ourselves into oblivion and are in fact placing future generations of Americans into servitude for our irresponsibility today. Then he goes on about some silly stuff like freedoms and liberty, oh so 19th century stuff, so out of date that it simply does not apply to us folks today, in our modern sophisticated world. There is also that stuff about staying out of other peoples business, I mean really, who doesn’t love a nation that doesn’t impose itself on others for their own good. All those simpletons, savages and misguided fools of the world that could so benefit from our illustrious ways.

Well apparently there is a whole bunch of folks here in America and even abroad that think what this man has to say is worth listening to and they are. In fact, if you look up newspapers in Fl, MN, NH, TN, CA, WA, and numerous other states there often local articles about his crazy followers spending their weekends on street corners waving signs and handing out information. Many of the Paul supporters have started attending other candidate’s rallies and events to pass out literature and information while they give up their own personal time. While most GOP candidates are seeing a decline in fundraising, this guy is starting to pick up the pace and the money is flowing in like the Amazon River. Many GOP and even the Democrat candidates are in awe and drooling over the level of support at the ground floor this man is garnishing. The donations that are pouring in aren’t from a few large donors or special interest groups, they are 5,10,20 dollar type donations from more different people than all but a few of the top campaigns. This translates into a very broad base of support as most who donate also vote, like me.

The next step, slander, cheap shots, denunciation, and an all out effort to portray this defender of our Constitution as nutty, out of touch, or at best, idealistic and based outside of the realm of real possibility. While this is taking place there is our commercial media that has chosen to take the “ignore him and it will go away” approach, but even that isn’t working now. The entire establishment that has already picked the candidates for Americans to choose from, you know, Rudy or Hillary, are completely freaking out over what to do next. They can’t seem to attack him personally, after all he has been married to the same woman since like the Stone Age, and he isn’t pandering to any special interest groups, as was witness at the debate at Morgan College. It is also why Ron Paul is so thin in stature, as he won’t allow special interest to buy his lunch. What is left but to attack his positions and this is where it gets really fun since his basic platform is based upon adhering to the very documents that structure our government, society, and way of life.

While the NY to DC corridor of power and the GOP does not know what to do about this dark horse phenomenon, a growing number of Americans do, and they are. As those politicians and power brokers that are so out of touch with main street America will try whatever means possible to maintain things as they are, they will continue to experience what is known in foreign policy circles as “blow back” as it only serves to strengthen this campaign. Paul supporters have not been swayed or deterred by these tactics, nor I suspect will they but to those on the fence you may want to take a second look. Too often people claim they are tired of having the choice between the lesser of two evils and when the opportunity comes along to support a candidate who is obviously better, they succumb to the notion that they are unelectable. This is your chance, an opportunity is at your doorstep, and not nearly the long shot than some may claim. You now have a choice for something other than a spinmeister, double-talker, flip flopper, power monger. There is only one GOP candidate that can not only appeal to the general GOP but many moderates, independents and even a healthy amount of democrats, but also could face and defeat the juggernaut that is the Clinton dynasty and that is the Ron Paul revolution.
What Ron Paul stands for makes an incredible amount of sense. What he has suffered from the most is the lack of substantial "presence" when he is on the national stage. He already has the ideas, intelligence and experience but to get more votes Ron Paul needs to demonstrate charisma and presence as well. Without those, he'll have a tough time getting GOP backing. Without those he will have a very tough time out-debating Clinton or Obama in the future (they both have charisma and presence in spades).

Old 10-09-2007, 10:08 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,260,412 times
Texas has long viewed itself as a conservative bastion, but the Lone Star State ranked third in the nation between 2000 and last year in receipt of federal dollars, raking in aid and contracts worth more than $1.2 trillion.
Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2007 at 07:16 AM..

Old 10-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Texas has long viewed itself as a conservative bastion, but the Lone Star State ranked third in the nation between 2000 and last year in receipt of federal dollars, raking in aid and contracts worth more than $1.2 trillion.

An analysis by a private watchdog group found that state agencies and a number of congressional districts were major beneficiaries of the federal largesse. For example:

Rep. Ron Paul has long crusaded against a big central government. But the maverick GOP lawmaker and presidential contender also has represented a congressional district that is consistently among the top in Texas in its reliance on dollars from Washington. In the first nine months of the federal government's 2006 fiscal year alone, it received more than $4 billion in federal aid.

• The Texas Transportation Department has lately warned of a budget crunch. Yet the highway-building agency raked in more federal funds than all but three other state agencies around the nation in the first three quarters of the 2006 fiscal year: $2.9 billion
These and other findings are included in a state-by-state breakdown of federal spending by the group OMB Watch.

The analysis provides an insight into where federal dollars are flowing and underscores what Southern Methodist University political science professor Cal Jillson calls the "pork-barrel libertarianism" philosophy of many Texans.

"Texans like to think of themselves as the modern-day Marlboro Man," he said, "small government, low taxes and deregulation and 'keep your hands out of our pockets and I will take care of myself.' But they reach out to Washington every time there seems to be federal money available."
Do YOU have anything to say or are you just trolling? Please tell me you are not going to post this after every post made about Ron Paul are you?

Also, note that if you actually read the entire piece it goes on to say

Quote:
She said Paul will continue to support federal grants to the district,"as long as taxes are taken by force from the people of Texas."

She added, "While Congressman Paul strongly believes that federal spending is out of control, the government has made promises to people in the form of Medicare and Social Security that many rely on, and it would be wrong to break those promises."
Quote:
It is difficult to make comparisons among Texas' congressional districts before the 2006 fiscal year because a Republican redistricting plan approved by the Texas Legislature shifted a number of boundaries, including those in the Gulf Coast district represented by Paul.

But Paul's district ranked in the top five in the state in federal aid before the redistricting.

His current district, which includes Galveston and reaches into Brazoria County, draws a substantial amount of federal flood insurance payments.

A longtime libertarian, Paul has held that federal spending should be limited to what is prescribed in the Constitution. He routinely votes against appropriations bills.
For those folks who might want to read the whole story, then by all means

Texas near the top for raking in federal dollars | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 10-09-2007 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: additional text

Old 10-09-2007, 10:25 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,265,522 times
TnHillTopper, did you write this or find it somewhere else? I need a link to spread this all over the www.

You'd get forty-leven rep points if I could give em out that way,

Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
TnHillTopper, did you write this or find it somewhere else? I need a link to spread this all over the www.

You'd get forty-leven rep points if I could give em out that way,
No, this was one of mine so feel free to pass it on and I encourage you to do so :-)

Old 10-09-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
No, this was one of mine so feel free to pass it on and I encourage you to do so :-)

Well, consider it cut and pasted all over my tiny little sphere of influence, with credit being given to "an unnamed ally aboard another forum".

Old 10-09-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
What Ron Paul stands for makes an incredible amount of sense. What he has suffered from the most is the lack of substantial "presence" when he is on the national stage. He already has the ideas, intelligence and experience but to get more votes Ron Paul needs to demonstrate charisma and presence as well. Without those, he'll have a tough time getting GOP backing. Without those he will have a very tough time out-debating Clinton or Obama in the future (they both have charisma and presence in spades).
It is ironic because if you hear him speak while in a crowd or as the lone voice at the podium, he is quite amiable and eloquent and articulate. He does connect well with an audience but I agree that during a debate when they have their 30 seconds, he does not come off as well. If you haven't already, I might suggest taking a peek at some of his youtube videos were he is in such a setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Well, consider it cut and pasted all over my tiny little sphere of influence, with credit being given to "an unnamed ally aboard another forum".
If you would like I would consider tossing you links to my various published works on this subject as they appear.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:16 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,149,862 times
Quote:
It is ironic because if you hear him speak while in a crowd or as the lone voice at the podium, he is quite amiable and eloquent and articulate. He does connect well with an audience but I agree that during a debate when they have their 30 seconds, he does not come off as well. If you haven't already, I might suggest taking a peek at some of his youtube videos were he is in such a setting.

I find Paul unsettling in every debate I have seen him in but I will agree with you that he is quite amiable and eloquent and articulate outside the debates. I watched a video of his interview with Google. Very different! It’s too bad he cannot capture that demeanor when he is in a debate.

Last edited by ontheroad; 10-09-2007 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: added "quote" marks

Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:

If you would like I would consider tossing you links to my various published works on this subject as they appear.
Absolutely. Either up here or via PM if need be. I just can't stop getting the good word out about Ron Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or