Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 11:10 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
15 polls in Ohio in the last few days. 2 show a tie, 13 show an Obama lead.

Hummmmmm
yep the one I used showed a lead too. 2 points within the margin of error. You do understand there isn't a poll outside the margin of error. Pretty good for the pollsters. they are right no matter who wins

Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
15 polls in Ohio in the last few days. 2 show a tie, 13 show an Obama lead.

Hummmmmm
Right now I'd believe in a utility pole that someone says it's somewhere than an election poll.

Polls say 0bama wins while others say Romney wins - many from one side of those polls will be proven wrong soon enough.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:12 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
yep the one I used showed a lead too. 2 points within the margin of error. You do understand there isn't a poll outside the margin of error. Pretty good for the pollsters. they are right no matter who wins

No, there are polls outside of the margin of error.

However, its a trend, can almost all of the polls show an Obama lead or a tie, and be wrong? Its possible, but its a small, very small chance.

I don't really care which one wins, Obama or Romney, I'm not voting for either, same thing, different party. But the odds, the polls, and what seems to be the mood of the country all favor Obama.

Keep holding onto that slim chance though.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:13 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Polls are just BS, look what happened in the 1980 election the so-called polls had Carter ahead and Reagan won in a landslide. Can't forget as that was my first election I voted in.

What polls had Carter ahead?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:13 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Polls have become incrementally unstable, imo. Too many people have cell phones, too many people knowingly and laughingly manipulate their responses, too many people just flat don't understand the questions.

I've received 2 general election phone polls that I can recall. I was somewhat impressed with the Gallup poll questions as well as with the demeanor of the questioner, and I answered questions honestly. If they were to call me today, I would probably play with them and have a little fun instead of being straightforward.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:14 PM

44 posts, read 43,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The pollster has shown results more GOP friendly than any other pollster in the state the entire time. What is more likely, everyone else being wrong? or one of them being wrong? Also any polls conducted during and in the immediate aftermath of Sandy could have some weirdness to it (which is why Gallup suspended polling for several days). Sandy did impact much of the state, with the Philly metro area being the hardest hit.
Well..by that logic, there are more democratic leaning polls, so therefore they must be right? There are more democratic news agencies, so they must be right too? Come on!

Cant we all just agree that polls are skewed one way or another.....either the turnout favors one party or the other. It should be obvious to us all that we will choose the poll that favors our party. Rassmussen gets 2000 and 2004 right cause it was a R+1 turnout or whatever. Nate Silver gets 2008 right due to D+7 turnout. I remember a saying about "a broken watch is right twice a day"....

I choose to believe my eyes which tell me this election will look nothing like 2008. Of course if Dems somehow turn out with a D+9 advantage, it wont matter much as Romney wont have a chance.

One thing that is benefical, is those people on this forum are all a bit smarter this go around for having particpated in this discussion (especially about polls), and I am thankful for both sides input, even if we dont all agree on politcal issues.

Till tommorrow.....

Old 11-03-2012, 11:15 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Polls are just BS, look what happened in the 1980 election the so-called polls had Carter ahead and Reagan won in a landslide. Can't forget as that was my first election I voted in.
I've never been polled but if I was, I would lie and/or reply no comment. It's nobody's business but mine which party I support and which candidate I support.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:17 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The pollster has shown results more GOP friendly than any other pollster in the state the entire time. What is more likely, everyone else being wrong? or one of them being wrong? Also any polls conducted during and in the immediate aftermath of Sandy could have some weirdness to it (which is why Gallup suspended polling for several days). Sandy did impact much of the state, with the Philly metro area being the hardest hit.
Well, if the Philly area if having problems because of the storm...that's even worse news for obama.

The point IS: PA should not be in play, or MI, MN, WI, IA.

Other point - if all these BLUE states are this close, OHIO is already in the RED column.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Polls have become incrementally unstable, imo. Too many people have cell phones, too many people knowingly and laughingly manipulate their responses, too many people just flat don't understand the questions.

I've received 2 general election phone polls that I can recall. I was somewhat impressed with the Gallup poll questions as well as with the demeanor of the questioner, and I answered questions honestly. If they were to call me today, I would probably play with them and have a little fun instead of being straightforward.
If you read Nate Silvers latest posting, he explains this pretty well. All of the polls are simply a "snap shot" in time. And while they may all be showing Obama with a lead, if one or two is wrong, its likely they are all wrong.

Only about 10% or less of the population has been polled in states like Ohio, others don't answer the phone.

But, this level of polling participation have proven accurate in 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2010. Could they all be wrong this time? Yes, it is a possibility.

And that possibility is the only thing thats holding onto Romney's 16% chance of a win on his index. Mr. Silver is about the numbers, and the odds are clearly in Obama's favor. Its possible they are wrong, and we'll know on Tuesday if thats the case. But they have been very accurate over the last several elections, its very unlikely, about a 16% chance, that they are all wrong.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Dispatch Poll: Ohio's a toss-up | The Columbus Dispatch

Here's the deal 1.6 million have voted early in Ohio this year. This pole says Obama leads 15 percent with people who say they voted early. Romney leads by 11 percent with those who will vote on election day. 5.6 million voted in 08. Even if turnout is down to 5 million Romney will carry Ohio with over 100,000 votes. Do the math.
Not only that. Republicans have GAINED 100,000 in registration, Democrats have LOST 150,000 in registration - a 250,000 swing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections