Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 09:09 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,674 times

Advertisements

I honestly think the transition to smart phones by an entire generation really puts a question mark on the under 35 crowd and where they stand for all polls. I haven't had a landline in 6 years. Even my parents have dumped a landline in the last 4 years.

Only thing that can be said is historically youth is the least enthusiastic voting bloc. However, the effects of Social Media, Twitter, Crowd Sourcing, etc... didn't exist until the last couple years.

It will be very interesting no matter who wins how the crowd under 35 turned out and who they voted for as it may have very long term consequences for both parties.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:09 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The young will be too lazy to go to the polls this time. It's easy to say you're voting for Obama over the phone, quite another when you have to wait in the cold to vote for someone you're not too excited about.
thatll be offset by pubs who arnt enthused about romney. remember the primaries? nobody wanted romney.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
thatll be offset by pubs who arnt enthused about romney. remember the primaries? nobody wanted romney.
The empty soda can over Obama preference may be overwhelming that. If we had a Kennedy in the WH, he would crush Rmoney. Ohioans aren't as stuck up on religion as the South.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Ohio is tight. Obama is holding a 1-1.7 lead (depending on including or not including the CBS poll which is a bit of an outlier compared to the others). Either way, his lead has fallen, which means GOP enthusiasm + big gains in 'coal country' /S Ohio for Romney could spell trouble for Obama.
Yup I'm just amused about how the libs keep trying to convince themselves Ohio will go for Obama. Their angst is palatable.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yup I'm just amused about how the libs keep trying to convince themselves Ohio will go for Obama. Their angst is palatable.
What dynamic do you see taking place? A lack of youth turnout? Incumbent fatigue?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
I honestly think the transition to smart phones by an entire generation really puts a question mark on the under 35 crowd and where they stand for all polls. I haven't had a landline in 6 years. Even my parents have dumped a landline in the last 4 years.

Only thing that can be said is historically youth is the least enthusiastic voting bloc. However, the effects of Social Media, Twitter, Crowd Sourcing, etc... didn't exist until the last couple years.

It will be very interesting no matter who wins how the crowd under 35 turned out and who they voted for as it may have very long term consequences for both parties.
The non-landline numbers are accounted for in the statistics, at least when I heard pollsters speak on C-SPAN once.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
according to that obama wins thenn right
Missing in the analysis is turnout. Hence the Obama team's desperate push for early voting. They want to get their lazy base to the polls sooner than later.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
What dynamic do you see taking place? A lack of youth turnout? Incumbent fatigue?
All of the above but most importantly dissatisfaction from White voters. What folks are missing is that many White voters simply stayed home in '08. In counties, especially in rural areas where Bush won handily in '04, McCain barely won and in a few instances actually lost. The Columbus Dispatch has an excellent breakdown by region of the phenomonen. NPR in my opinion also had one of the most telling polls of the cycle when they found Romney winning by a near landslide in rural areas. Can Obama turn out his lazy unmotivated base to keep margins high enough to offset the rural tide? I'm skeptical and judging by Team Obama's behavior they are too. Then you have the suburbs polls tightening there and Romney is the kind of candidate that suburban housewives will be comfortable with.

The fire Obama, war on coal sentiment is pretty high now. Also many Dem strongholds like Cleveland have been hollowed out due to foreclosures. Where are these people?

Conclusion Ohio will break for Romney, frankly I'm beginning to think PA will too since they don't have early voting.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Missing in the analysis is turnout. Hence the Obama team's desperate push for early voting. They want to get their lazy base to the polls sooner than later.
To your dismay it seems to be working.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times
Quote:
All of the above but most importantly dissatisfaction from White voters. What folks are missing is that many White voters simply stayed home in '08. In counties, especially in rural areas where Bush won handily in '04, McCain barely won and in a few instances actually lost. The Columbus Dispatch has an excellent breakdown by region of the phenomonen. NPR in my opinion also had one of the most telling polls of the cycle when they found Romney winning by a near landslide in rural areas. Can Obama turn out his lazy unmotivated base to keep margins high enough to offset the rural tide? I'm skeptical and judging by Team Obama's behavior they are too. Then you have the suburbs polls tightening there and Romney is the kind of candidate that suburban housewives will be comfortable with.

The fire Obama, war on coal sentiment is pretty high now. Also many Dem strongholds like Cleveland have been hollowed out due to foreclosures. Where are these people?

Conclusion Ohio will break for Romney, frankly I'm beginning to think PA will too since they don't have early voting.
i dont buy that whites are motivated for romney more then they were for mccain, unless they just want to get the black man out(which i think you are inferring).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections