Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Old people. I work in public housing and many older people do not have a "valid" ID, meaning they may have one but it is expired or they have some sort of card/documentation with their name but do not have a picture ID.

Many of our resident's, their only form of ID is their community ID card that we provide them for access to our buildings for free. And those cards are not considered a "valid" form of ID because they are not made by a government agency and have no identitifying number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How does that work if you were born at home six, seven, eight decades ago?

Why New Photo ID Laws Mean Some Won't Vote : NPR

How it worked in PA was that one was filed by a County official or Dr. after the fact. Ran into that with my mother. Born on 1/1/21 but the Dr. filed and dated it 1/6/21. The discrepancy created issues with Social Security and Medicare. She also insisted on renewing her driver's license after she stopped driving.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I don't know why the later filing date would be a problem. I mean, ALL births are filed "after the fact". One of my kids was born July 4 (I'm not going to say the year to protect privacy, but this kid is a 20something). The BC was signed by the dr. on July 6 but not signed by the county clerk's office until July 20. I suspect a lot of people were on vacation then.

My father always claimed he had no BC, used a baptism cert to join the Merchant Marine in WW II. When my mom sent away for mine when I turned 16 and needed it for something (maybe driver's license?), she asked for his, too, and lo and behold, he had one filed with the state of PA! He was born at home in 1914.

But I digress. My mom actually had her license revoked or whatever you call it b/c of her vision. She couldn't renew. Lots of old people are in that position. My MIL is now 93, and doesn't drive, sold her car. I don't know if she has a state ID. I do know she plans to vote.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 AM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Old people. I work in public housing and many older people do not have a "valid" ID, meaning they may have one but it is expired or they have some sort of card/documentation with their name but do not have a picture ID.

Many of our resident's, their only form of ID is their community ID card that we provide them for access to our buildings for free. And those cards are not considered a "valid" form of ID because they are not made by a government agency and have no identitifying number.
Most elderly I know have a state picture ID card. It is necessary to board a plane, go to the doctor, ER's, open a bank account and in so many other instances to function in our society. Claiming that many or most elderly do not have one or can't get one is just a cop out.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Most elderly I know have a state picture ID card. It is necessary to board a plane, go to the doctor, ER's, open a bank account and in so many other instances to function in our society. Claiming that many or most elderly do not have one or can't get one is just a cop out.
The link I posted last night states that 11% of people do not have the proper ID. I'm not sure how many are elderly. The need for such ID seems to depend, as some are saying they have to present ID at the dr and some do not, for example. Few elderly are opening new bank accounts; none of them are getting carded at the liquor store, many don't fly, etc.

Part of the problem is that some states have limited the types of ID they will accept to just a few.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:30 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I get carded every time I buy liquor. In MD vendors have decided that it's easier to ask for ID than to pay the fines for the constant stings that go on for underage liquor and tobacco sales. Even the guy at the convenience store I'm in everyday for the paper and cigarettes cards me when I get a 6 pack.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The link I posted last night states that 11% of people do not have the proper ID. I'm not sure how many are elderly. The need for such ID seems to depend, as some are saying they have to present ID at the dr and some do not, for example. Few elderly are opening new bank accounts; none of them are getting carded at the liquor store, many don't fly, etc.

Part of the problem is that some states have limited the types of ID they will accept to just a few.
This is true for many (college) students who do have school issued ID but may not yet drive. while their school ID may be accepted in general, it does not allow them to register to vote in many states.

I grew up in NYC. I did not get a driver's license until I was 30. Had absolutely no need for one. I had a passport before I had a driver's license but, that is, ironically, not acceptable proof in many states because it is not "state-issued."

Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
I could be wrong on this, but isn't absentee voting the biggest violater of voter fraud? I don't care what republicans say, if minorities didn't have that much of effect in who wins the election, you wouldn't hear a peep from the righties about all this voter fraud that goes on.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:56 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't know why the later filing date would be a problem. I mean, ALL births are filed "after the fact". One of my kids was born July 4 (I'm not going to say the year to protect privacy, but this kid is a 20something). The BC was signed by the dr. on July 6 but not signed by the county clerk's office until July 20. I suspect a lot of people were on vacation then.

My father always claimed he had no BC, used a baptism cert to join the Merchant Marine in WW II. When my mom sent away for mine when I turned 16 and needed it for something (maybe driver's license?), she asked for his, too, and lo and behold, he had one filed with the state of PA! He was born at home in 1914.

But I digress. My mom actually had her license revoked or whatever you call it b/c of her vision. She couldn't renew. Lots of old people are in that position. My MIL is now 93, and doesn't drive, sold her car. I don't know if she has a state ID. I do know she plans to vote.

Same here. My son was born on 12/25. Didn't file his birth until after the first of the year.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I grew up in NYC. I did not get a driver's license until I was 30. Had absolutely no need for one. I had a passport before I had a driver's license but, that is, ironically, not acceptable proof in many states because it is not "state-issued."
Please provide proof that any state would not accept a US passport. I believe the requirement is "government issued", not "state issued".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections