Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:14 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

maybe I am wrong, or reading you incorrectly
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 03:32 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,158 times
If you are any public figure, especially a politician, ESPECIALLY during an election, it's open season on you for criticism and vitriol. Better have or grow thick skin quickly. Of course Obama never had it or believed he'd be immune to it all. Just because.

All those guys like Rush Love the guy. Really. Four more years of nasty diatribe and high ratings. More money in the bank.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I saw the "Romnesia" comment on the homepage today. Election banter is starting to get a little "below the belt." This won't change the way I will vote, but I can't wait until this is over. This election has pitted so many people against each other, including friends and family members. I know it's getting down to the wire.

What do you think of these "nicknames" and "wordsmithing?" Is this a standard in Presidential campaigning? Other examples?
No matter who does it, it is childish and unnecessary.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:19 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Probably the brightest political moment for me was when McCain called Obama, his opponent, a decent man. He no doubt incensed his base and was doomed by his party from that day on. I guess you are supposed to get your base to hate your opponent by insulting everything about him.
Without politics and religion we would have to face the fact that we all are inherently hateful. Politics and religion gives us a platform for our inherent hate so we choose some nebulous reason to eat other.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 12-29-2013 at 06:14 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 08:05 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,645 times
I think it's childish, but I have more of an issue with people using rude nicknames or slurs for the president than for a candidate.

I didn't approve of the obscene caricatures critics created for Bush, and I don't approve of the obscene caricatures critics have created for Obama. To me, the president of the United States is worthy of more respect than that. I mean, you can disagree with someone without making fun of them.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
I could not possibly care less if someone else does it. And really, it is just a convenient revelation into the mentality and emotional stunting of such people. It gives me a warning that they're probably not capable of adult discourse.

I quit speaking that way when I was a teenager. Why? I grew up.

When I speak about someone, if I chose to use some juvenile nickname it would say nothing at all about that person. They will never see what I write, and if they've made it far enough in politics to even be competitive in a Presidential primary/caucus, much less win some of them or even win the nomination itself, they've already heard it all and have long since learned to completely disregard such petulant idiocies.

But it would say volumes about me. And I have more self-respect to do such things.

[And in response to the logically-bereft rebuttal of "But! But! The 'other side' does it!", I will simply say that my standard for behavior is not to lower myself to the embarrassingly depths of the more childish elements of any side]

Old 01-02-2014, 03:41 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Nicknames are bound to happen. No one every called Ike Dwight except his mother and his wife, and even Jimmy Carter's wife and mom didn't call him James.
The same is true with every President who has ever used his nickname.

Slurs will always be used as well. We are nowhere as good or creative at making them than our ancestors were. As long as both strengthen tribal identity, neither will disappear. And since tribalism rules our politics these days, I don't expect to see any change much at a time when being civil is seen as being a traitor or conceding defeat to the other side.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,080 times
It depends on how derogatory the term is (I would say accuracy, but that can be up to debate on so many names).

Old 01-05-2014, 03:43 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Romney initiated that conversation. I"d bet my life's savings he was trying to rattle or anger Obama.

It should be called the Affordable Care Act.

Your last question is just argumentative.
Actually, it should be called the Unaffordable Care Act.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:31 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Romney used the term "Obamacare" in the first debate, apparently hoping to get a rise out of Obama. Instead, O. laughed it off.

president o is not laughing it off now though
is he??? shoot he is running from it LOL
I would sat Romney was prophetic LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections