Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,922,861 times

Advertisements

Gecko and Romney had the exact same role while Romney was with Bain. They are vulture capitalist. They don't build things. They do leverage buyouts. If the company gains great, if company fails...great. It does not matter because they will get their money. Their role was never to turn around the company but get management fees from the company.

Greed is good. Is that going to be the new motto? Romney's father was a much better man. I wish he would have instilled better values into his son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,307,323 times
If we're going to compare candidates to fictional characters (which is a little silly if you ask me) I'll take the bait and say that I'd sooner vote for Gordon Gecko as vote for Steve Urkel.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:08 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,334,283 times
Here's the thing. To a point, these guys make money, create jobs, and demand.

To a point.

When that point is reached, government steps in and bails them out.

You need to let a free market economy crash every now and then. And we didn't do that in 08 and 09.

Yes, poor families will hurt, but without a collapse, there can be no recovery. Without letting gecko fail, it encourages a continuation of the same crap that started it.

And really, people will still need food. People will still need electricity. People will still need a lot of things.

But without collapse, there is no adjustment of the system. Economic collapse is how the free market corrects itself.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
If we're going to compare candidates to fictional characters (which is a little silly if you ask me) I'll take the bait and say that I'd sooner vote for Gordon Gecko as vote for Steve Urkel.
O.k. that is funny. I feel safer with Urkel. At least urkel had a heart and would not try to screw me for a dollar.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:12 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,307,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
O.k. that is funny. I feel safer with Urkel. At least urkel had a heart and would not try to screw me for a dollar.
But he always screwed things up and in the end asked, "Did I doo thaaaaat?"

As to Romney being an unethical robber baron you've not a leg to stand on.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:17 PM

7,443 posts, read 5,707,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Here's the thing. To a point, these guys make money, create jobs, and demand.

To a point.

When that point is reached, government steps in and bails them out.

You need to let a free market economy crash every now and then. And we didn't do that in 08 and 09.

Yes, poor families will hurt, but without a collapse, there can be no recovery. Without letting gecko fail, it encourages a continuation of the same crap that started it.

And really, people will still need food. People will still need electricity. People will still need a lot of things.

But without collapse, there is no adjustment of the system. Economic collapse is how the free market corrects itself.
Hit the nail on the head with that post! Rep point for you

Old 10-19-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
But he always screwed things up and in the end asked, "Did I doo thaaaaat?"

As to Romney being an unethical robber baron you've not a leg to stand on.
Perhaps you did not see the Republican primaries. Newt and Perry both called Romney a vulture capitalist and stated that he was not about building jobs but about picking the bones of any meat that was left on a company. This is your party...did they have a leg to stand on?

[MOD CUT/hotlinking]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-19-2012 at 10:14 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 PM

26,943 posts, read 15,160,014 times
"Seriously why would anyone vote for a mormon Gordon Gecko? "

There's not one running.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
"Seriously why would anyone vote for a mormon Gordon Gecko? "

There's not one running.
I guess you never saw the movie.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,473,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Gecko and Romney had the exact same role while Romney was with Bain. They are vulture capitalist. They don't build things. They do leverage buyouts. If the company gains great, if company fails...great. It does not matter because they will get their money. Their role was never to turn around the company but get management fees from the company.

Companies seek private equity capital. Companies go into these business agreements willingly and enthusiastically in exchange for quick cash. It seems reasonable to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections