U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 AM

11,488 posts, read 6,913,309 times

Advertisements

In recent days, it seems to have become more likely that, barring the remote, but possible (and unsettling) outcome of an electoral-vote tie, the results of the coming election will be "inconclusive". If Obama wins, he's not likely to have anything close to the enthusiasm which accompanied the Great Train Ride to his first inauguration, and if Romney wins, the GOP is not likely to regain both control of the Senate and a supermajority in the House.

So the economy seems likely to remain in the "low gear" which I personally attribute to global conditions beyond the control of ideoluges from either side of the aisle, and the fantasies of "swing voters" who simply have come to expect too much can't be answered with pragmatism. The defecits will continue to snowball because the cost of "remedies" proposed by either side are designed with the hope that the burden will fall largely upon the core constituencies and "captive embarasments" of the other.

Not a pretty picture, though as always, there will be opportunities, just as there were in the darkest hours of the Thirties. But who wants to pursue them when there are people out there just looking for the opportunity to provide a new target for the front row at the wrestling match?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-21-2012 at 02:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 02:31 AM

11,886 posts, read 9,839,705 times
I would like to think after this election, the extreme, polar partisanship will mellow at least somewhat, but that would be naive. If nothing else, I would hope a second Obama term would force the Republicans on Capitol Hill to work with the President somewhat on policy, and a Romney presidency would not be as polar due to Democrats' willingness to move legislation (and the country) forward.
I don't know if the partisan pseudo-news media like Limbaugh, FOX & MSNBC are to blame, or the Tea Party and their ideology-at-all-costs philosophy, but there is no longer any grey area or room for compromise in politics these days, and it's sickening. It's not the differences in opinion, but the overall lack of respect for other viewpoints which has ruined everything.
People used to be able to respectfully disagree politically, and perhaps even agree on certain issues which went against the philosophy of their party/political persuasion. Now it's so toxic that if you decide to think for yourself on an issue, you're automatically "one of them".

Old 11-21-2012, 03:12 AM

11,488 posts, read 6,913,309 times
Well, the "tumult and the shouting" have ebbed, but we remain in gridlock. With regard to the previous poster's comments, I have to point out, as a libertarian-grounded conservative, that the stridency of Limbaugh was no more or no less irrational than the cackle-fest that has been going on in this forum for the past two weeks, and that the most dogmatic and irrational components of the Tea Party movement were deliberately singled out for emphasis by their detractors.

Anyone who thinks that the financial stalemate can be resolved by increasing tax rates on a small percentage of high earners alone is fooling him/herself. Tax revenue arises from a broad spectrum of sources, and the adjustments to minimum tax, the giveback of personal exemptions, and the taxability of Social Security beyond a level of income that was considered fairly high back in the early 1980's, but virtually everyone meets today -- all are a guarantee that we're all going to be forced into higher brackets, and there are plenty of people over there in LeftyLand who are licking their chops at the prospect.

Speaking strictly for myself, I would be willing to accept a necessary tightening of the upper brackets, but only on these three conditions.

(1) introduction of consumption-based taxes on obvious luxury items (that's one even your friendly local crack house and meth lab will have to pick up the tab for, and it might uncover a money-trail or two to follow)

(2) a serious attempt to return much of the societal "safety net" to local scrutiny -- the Earned Income Credit has been bastardized into a huge morass of tax fraud; rewarding local oversight via direct return of fraudulent payments could ease the stress on local budgets

(3) intensification of the war on the narco-economy -- if Al Capone fell because he didn't pay his taxes, that strategy needs to be expanded (Personally, I wouldn't object to liberalizatiion of the marijuana laws if it were linked to a major revenue source, but I doubt if the New Puritans -- who aren't in my camp -- would go along; don't hold your breath).

Finally. none of these reforms would require new agencies, new bureaucracies. and expansion of both Federal largesse and Federal payrolls - one big reason why I expect little interest in them to be shown.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-21-2012 at 04:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections