Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:14 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You'll find that top students in Massachusetts actually tend to get better deals at private schools. I got a full tuition scholarship - more than $35,000 a year at the time. Then there was about $1000 in academic fees, and about $8000 in room and board fees. In Mass public schools, it's the opposite.

For a semester, UMass Amherst breaks down as follows:

Tuition: $857
Curriculum Fee: $4,707
Service Fee: $675
Activities Fee: $48.50
Basic Health Fee: $327

And those are just what are charged every semester. Incoming freshmen pay an additional $500 in fees.

The cheapest rooms (a forced triple) are $2000 a semester plus over $100 for telecommunication fees. Meal plans range from $1000 if you plan on supplementing most of your diet on your own up to more than $3000 a semester if you keep Kosher and need to eat all your meals on campus (because you likely cannot keep a Kosher fridge/microwave with a roommate unless they are similarly as strict).

That's an average of $7000 in required fees EVERY SEMESTER (so $14,000 a year) PLUS living expenses. It's still not entirely unreasonable, but if you think that getting a "full ride" tuition scholarship is great, it's quite disappointing and certainly not something I'd brag about.

And let's face it--the Curriculum Fee is *really* tuition. When I read the definition of it (after I defended Romney), I was amazed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
He said tuition free ride. First, I've never heard of a state raising their fees to six times the cost of tuition, just so they can say that they didn't raise tuition costs, and it looks like they did a good chunk of that under Romney.
Look at the UCs and CSUs in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Almost covered it. How bout, they lack the desire to understand true facts. Something they don't comprehend.

And the crap they spew, they can all put in in their pipes and smoke it.............

Obama is a classless fool And a good liar at that. Wait, not even a good liar at that.

He is a classless, bully, with the stupidest mean look of pounce his prey at these debates, when he does not like truth of what is being said. Can't take things like a man, he has to be a bully.

When you try so hard to put your prey down, and you lose, who is really the fool.
True facts? Is that like wet water?

And please tell me how a poster starting a thread translates into Obama being a classless "fool", a liar, etc. If one poster speaks for the entire party, then Romney supporters are in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
The one thing we can take from this thread is that Obama's supporters don't know the meaning of the word "tuition."

Add another word to the list, which now includes:

*Honesty
*Work
*Accountability
*Integrity
*Budget
*Decency
*Honor
*Tact
*Class
....Riiiiiight. How about taking away the idea that Romney supporters cannot understand that tuition-free ride is a play on words? You need to read to comprehend and comprehend what you read.

It is also interesting that some people who claim that Obama, and his supporters, lack class, honor, decency, and the like do so by bantering about 3rd grade insults. Talk about having class.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Romney's nickname was Fifi while governor, for all the fees he increased under his watch.
That's funny.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
How is the "college" pulling a fast one? They are stuck with whatever regulations are imposed on them by the state! And as I've said repeatedly, Romney hid his revenue increases for teh state of Mass in "fees" so he would be able to say he didn't raise "taxes." Here he did the same thing with tuition.

Tution? Free. But those FEES? As high as tuition in most states.
This is the kind of thing that scares me to death about Romney, because you can't seem to believe a word he says about anything. He doesn't want to be a bad guy and raise tuition, so they keep the actual tuition at rock bottom prices and then add "fees" that are six times the cost of the tuition. Then, years later, he goes on national television in a debate and brags about giving scholarships that give kids a "tuition free ride" when in fact, the scholarship covers a tiny portion of the costs of taking classes, and the scholarships are way lower than most offered to good students at many public colleges in other states.

He's saying he's not going to raise middle class taxes, but what the heck does that mean given his track record? It's like he goes looking for backdoor ways to twist things so he's technically correct, but still does whatever the heck he wants. Is he going to lower my tax rate and then eliminate all my deductions so it costs me thousands more? Who knows with him...

Old 10-24-2012, 02:05 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
What Romney said, while maybe not being a lie, is misleading. If he just said "tuition-free" then it would be a truthful statement. However, since he said "tuition-free ride" he combined tuition-free and free ride, which are two completely different concepts. It makes the situation sound better than it really is, and by association, Romney.

As for the comments about Obama lying about ObamaCare:

as a former Massachusetts resident and college student, do I need to continue to remind you all of RomneyCare...which is strikingly similar to ObamaCare? Do I also need to remind you all that, back in 2009, it was Romney who suggested that Obama model ObamaCare after RomneyCare, and, that it was Romney that suggested the mandate?
You people are downright nuts. So, to you, tuition-free ride means both free tuition and a complete free ride? You Liberals call yourselves intelligent?!?!?! Oh my......... Use your damn heads, it's, "tuition-free" ride. See the hyphen between tuition and free? It CAN NOT mean anything else!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:18 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You people are downright nuts. So, to you, tuition-free ride means both free tuition and a complete free ride? You Liberals call yourselves intelligent?!?!?! Oh my......... Use your damn heads, it's, "tuition-free" ride. See the hyphen between tuition and free? It CAN NOT mean anything else!
No--read the thread. The tuition is only $1700 a year for the UMass system, but they added $10,000 in fees so they can say it's low, and still cover costs The scholarship only covers the actual tuition costs of $1700.00. The cost of just signing up for classes is almost $12K a year. At most colleges, those numbers are reversed--the tuition would be significant, and the fees around a thousand to $1500.00. A tuition free ride in most places would mean a $5-7K or more annual scholarship, and Romney was betting on most people believing that. Nebraska does offer a "tuition free ride" to our top students in the state college system--it's a $6500.00 annual scholarship if your ACT score is 27 or over, renewable for four years. The students are responsible for an additional $1500.00 in fees plus their room and board, and books. It's a great deal--the MA program is not.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:27 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
No--read the thread. The tuition is only $1700 a year for the UMass system, but they added $10,000 in fees so they can say it's low, and still cover costs The scholarship only covers the actual tuition costs of $1700.00. The cost of just signing up for classes is almost $12K a year. At most colleges, those numbers are reversed--the tuition would be significant, and the fees around a thousand to $1500.00. A tuition free ride in most places would mean a $5-7K or more annual scholarship, and Romney was betting on most people believing that. Nebraska does offer a "tuition free ride" to our top students in the state college system--it's a $6500.00 annual scholarship if your ACT score is 27 or over, renewable for four years. The students are responsible for an additional $1500.00 in fees plus their room and board, and books. It's a great deal--the MA program is not.
Yeah and? How did Romney lie? He didn't. I was responding to a poster that said he mixed tuition-free and free-ride together. He did no such thing. There is no other way to interpret tuition-free ride then FREE TUITION, not a completely free ride.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:26 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Default Romney stinks. A flop-flopping liar

No surprise here about the goon. He lies and is losing. President Obama is kicking his arse WHILE he's running the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections