Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:11 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,190 times

Advertisements

Ok, I admit it, I am a conservative. However, I believe Obama will win this election. What I don't get is all the liberal Obama supporters here, just cheering on like they are going to wipe the floor with Romney. By ALL accounts, IF Obama wins, he will do so just barely.

Now, the first black president of the United States (I'm a black man) and all he "accomplished," yet he is going to barely squeak by? If the liberals of this country do not see this as a great wakeup call, I'm not quite sure what to say.

Millions are voting for Obama, not because they think he is such a great President, its because he is the lesser of two evils. Yet, if you read on here, Obama still walks on water and is a living "god."

What is it with you people, that you cannot admit the fact, Obama has truly been a failure as the president. Truly, he has failed in almost everything he had done, said he would do, and/or set out to do.

Yet, people still hold up signs like he is the second coming. I'd have more respect for the Obama fans, if they held up a sign which said: "You've failed on everything. Yet, I like you better then the other guy." At least then you would have some credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 05:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
People stand around and talking to people who think like them, and then that helps to create a false sense of reality..

If everyone you knew, lived in the projects and was on welfare, you would eventually get the impression that welfare is a way of life, and that its other peoples fault you cant succeed, so why try..

Old 10-25-2012, 05:43 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,648,952 times
I think you need to get out more. Sure, there are people on C-D who are acting like you said above; however, there are plenty of Obama supporters who are disappointed in the administration, who don't think he's going to "wipe the floor" in some huge win, but still think he is the better choice. If you haven't noticed, a good segment of C-D posters are kind of downright crazy, and that goes both ways.

I mean, I read threads here everyday from conservative posters who think Romney is going to be the next savior and that all his not-so-well-established plans are gifts from the gods. They also don't mind some of the stupid things he's said and done and even defend most of the whiplash-inducing flip flopping. You are just not seeing the faults on YOUR side.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:56 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think you need to get out more. Sure, there are people on C-D who are acting like you said above; however, there are plenty of Obama supporters who are disappointed in the administration, who don't think he's going to "wipe the floor" in some huge win, but still think he is the better choice. If you haven't noticed, a good segment of C-D posters are kind of downright crazy, and that goes both ways.

I mean, I read threads here everyday from conservative posters who think Romney is going to be the next savior and that all his not-so-well-established plans are gifts from the gods. They also don't mind some of the stupid things he's said and done and even defend most of the whiplash-inducing flip flopping. You are just not seeing the faults on YOUR side.
We sit here with this country on the edge of a cliff, a cliff this president help put us on, and there is no doubt that this president will take us over the cliff, but the Obama supporters say well he will take us over slower than Romney. Will Romney stop it? Probably not, but there is a chance he will. There is no chance with Obama. Vote for him and the country is finished. We can't have a debt load, like he is projecting in his next term.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
We sit here with this country on the edge of a cliff, a cliff this president help put us on, and there is no doubt that this president will take us over the cliff, but the Obama supporters say well he will take us over slower than Romney. Will Romney stop it? Probably not, but there is a chance he will. There is no chance with Obama. Vote for him and the country is finished. We can't have a debt load, like he is projecting in his next term.

Obama got to this cliff with the IMMENSE help of Congress. Obama states that we are not going over that cliff. Romney won't even have any say in it because, if he wins, January 1st will have come and gone. Your are correct that the cliff has everything to do with this president (who doesn't want it to happen) but more so with the people we have all elected as our congressional representatives. It's now mystery that Congress has the lowest approval rate in history and this is exactly why. They've put their raging partisanship ahead of this country's best interests. If you don't see that, then you are being blinded by your own politics. If you don't take the president's word that he doesn't want it to happen and will do everything to stop it, then there's nothing I can do to change your perception. And you are just like the posters the OP talks about--just from the other side.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:05 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,167,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Ok, I admit it, I am a conservative. However, I believe Obama will win this election. What I don't get is all the liberal Obama supporters here, just cheering on like they are going to wipe the floor with Romney. By ALL accounts, IF Obama wins, he will do so just barely.
I dont know why you are SO shocked, you are on a political forum, obviously you are going to get the extremes from both parties. I do agree that he will barely squeak by, its a simple math problem.

Quote:
Now, the first black president of the United States (I'm a black man) and all he "accomplished," yet he is going to barely squeak by? If the liberals of this country do not see this as a great wakeup call, I'm not quite sure what to say.
Accomplishment is in the eye of the beholder...I can list several things that the left/moderates feel are great accomplishments and that the right/moderates dont like, e.g (I give no opinion either way on this list, because some of it I liked, some of it I didnt like)
Passed Health Care Reform
2. Passed the Stimulus: -.
3. Passed Wall Street Reform:
4. Ended the War in Iraq:
5. Began Drawdown of War in Afghanistan:
6. Eliminated Osama bin laden:
7. Turned Around U.S. Auto Industry:
8. Recapitalized Banks:
9. Repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”:

and the list goes on.......

Quote:
Millions are voting for Obama, not because they think he is such a great President, its because he is the lesser of two evils. Yet, if you read on here, Obama still walks on water and is a living "god."
Yes, and millions are voting on Romney because he is not Obama. Most folks in this election are not voting for anyone, they are voting against someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
People stand around and talking to people who think like them, and then that helps to create a false sense of reality..

If everyone you knew, lived in the projects and was on welfare, you would eventually get the impression that welfare is a way of life, and that its other peoples fault you cant succeed, so why try..
Huh??? The OP asked about how folks could support Obama, and you instantly go to projects and welfare.

I am an independent, I would never call myself a liberal, but I lean left on some things, and definitely right on a host of other things. But statements like this, is why the Republican party is going to die off. If the party returned to some compassionate conservatism, got off the lobbyist teet, left social issues alone, and called out the wingnuts, they could attract Blacks and Hispanics.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,121 times
Quote:
Obama got to this cliff with the IMMENSE help of Congress. Obama states that we are not going over that cliff. Romney won't even have any say in it because, if he wins, January 1st will have come and gone. Your are correct that the cliff has everything to do with this president (who doesn't want it to happen) but more so with the people we have all elected as our congressional representatives. It's now mystery that Congress has the lowest approval rate in history and this is exactly why. They've put their raging partisanship ahead of this country's best interests. If you don't see that, then you are being blinded by your own politics. If you don't take the president's word that he doesn't want it to happen and will do everything to stop it, then there's nothing I can do to change your perception. And you are just like the posters the OP talks about--just from the other side.
The president's words ring hollow. He is the one that hasn't passed a budget in 3 years. He is the one that submitted a budget that got zero votes in congress.(its not all republicans there) How can I take him at his word, when he has had 4 years to stop it, and has done nothing. He has only added to the problem with record spending. Now watch as Obamacare is implemented and the costs skyrocket from the projections, and add even more to the deb, and get us to the bottom that much faster.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:19 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,703,406 times
Quote:

Good points, but I think it goes deeper. I've noticed the same thing here in Florida, with people talking about how great the President has done. They tend to get absolutely livid when I start asking questions about exactly what he's accomplished over the last 4 years and then refute their arguments.

The way I see it, Obama is still riding the underdog wagon in some people's minds. When he got elected, he was young, inexperienced, and black. All of this added up to people wanting him to win so badly that they were willing to forgive his over the top campaign promises and utopian rhetoric. Plus, let's face it, the McCain/Palin ticket left a lot of the Republican party wanting more.

Fast forward 4 years, we now have a President that has proven his inability to lead the country, but all those supporters who so badly wanted him to be the answer to the evils of the Bush administration don't want to admit that they were misled by Obama's ability to read a teleprompter. It is much easier to blame the other guys than it is to admit Obama's failures, especially when in Obama's mind he hasn't failed at anything.

On the other hand, we're seeing the same thing out of the Republican partisans now that we saw out of Obama's followers 4 years ago. The right wing is seeing the direction that Obama wants to take the country in, and it's in direct opposition to where they want it to go. They're also tired of the lies and broken promises coming out of the White House, and are looking for someone – anyone – to turn to. I'd say the majority of true conservatives aren't huge fans of Romney, but their only choice is to support him or to let Obama walk away with the election. Considering that Romney's half-truths and flips aren't any worse than Obama's, they're willing to let them slide in the hopes of winning the White House.

Neither side wants to admit that their nominee is less than desirable, especially this close to the election. And both sides are going to defend their nominee against any and all comers, because to do otherwise would be to admit that our political system is inherently broken.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Good points, but I think it goes deeper. I've noticed the same thing here in Florida, with people talking about how great the President has done. They tend to get absolutely livid when I start asking questions about exactly what he's accomplished over the last 4 years and then refute their arguments.

The way I see it, Obama is still riding the underdog wagon in some people's minds. When he got elected, he was young, inexperienced, and black. All of this added up to people wanting him to win so badly that they were willing to forgive his over the top campaign promises and utopian rhetoric. Plus, let's face it, the McCain/Palin ticket left a lot of the Republican party wanting more.

Fast forward 4 years, we now have a President that has proven his inability to lead the country, but all those supporters who so badly wanted him to be the answer to the evils of the Bush administration don't want to admit that they were misled by Obama's ability to read a teleprompter. It is much easier to blame the other guys than it is to admit Obama's failures, especially when in Obama's mind he hasn't failed at anything.

On the other hand, we're seeing the same thing out of the Republican partisans now that we saw out of Obama's followers 4 years ago. The right wing is seeing the direction that Obama wants to take the country in, and it's in direct opposition to where they want it to go. They're also tired of the lies and broken promises coming out of the White House, and are looking for someone – anyone – to turn to. I'd say the majority of true conservatives aren't huge fans of Romney, but they're only choice is to support him or to let Obama walk away with the election. Considering that Romney's half-truths and flips aren't any worse than Obama's, they're willing to let them slide in the hopes of winning the White House.

Neither side wants to admit that their nominee is less than desirable, especially this close to the election. And both sides are going to defend their nominee against any and all comers, because to do otherwise would be to admit that our political system is inherently broken.

Great post!!

I have no problem admitting the problems with "my" candidate. I think somehow he should have worked much harder to unite Congress even though, deep inside, I think it was/is an impossible job with this particular group that we have. They declared war on day one and, no matter how you want to spin it, you have to admit that they have obstructed movement in this economy. Not because they thought it was the wrong path, but due to some sort of weird vendetta. And I think the Obama supporters have seen that which is why they cut him the slack that they do. Had he got Congress to work with him and his policies were failures, THEN there would be no "out" so to speak. As it stands now, I feel like the Obama administration did not even get to try most of the things/plans that they thought would help. But, I digress....

As a historically voting Republican, I am saddened by what both parties have become, especially the Republican party. While I admit to all of Obama's flaws, I still do not see their plans as being better. Many of them seem destructive to the middle class. Of course, we never know if they are or aren't until they are put in place.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:28 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:

What is it with you people, that you cannot admit the fact, Obama has truly been a failure as the president. Truly, he has failed in almost everything he had done, said he would do, and/or set out to do.

Yet, people still hold up signs like he is the second coming. I'd have more respect for the Obama fans, if they held up a sign which said: "You've failed on everything. Yet, I like you better then the other guy." At least then you would have some credibility.

Don't worry- Obama has already lost. We have-

1. an incumbent behind in the polls two weeks before the election

2. undecided voters break for the challenger in the last two weeks

3. we have the worst economy since the depression

4. the mideast is unraveling due to Obama's policy and there is an impeachable cover up

Obama is gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections