Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Don't make fun of Oral Roberts.

However, the PBS issue, I can see eye to eye with you at. I've been watching PBS most of my life. So many good television programs on the channel. I don't want to see funding slashed for it. There is a reason there are so many telethons on PBS nowadays. Less and less funding.
I used O.R as an example because of the religious right indoctrinations. Personally I do not believe that the republicans really care about PBS or anything else on that station except for NPR. rove and company have pledged to remove the show because they have exposed many sneaky things during the bush error (opps era) and the republican lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
What point of view? I'm asking what have Republicans done to convince Blacks that they aren't a party of racists? There's not much a POV there b/c facts are facts. The best you could come up w/ was freeing slaves. Almost 150 years ago.
If you want to be treated like everyone else, then why demand tailored treatment to somehow look like you don't notice race?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
They freed the slaves.
Interesting you mention that, as 100 years after that, the parties do a 'flip flop'. So basically you mean yesterday's republicans/today's democrats.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 PM

15,086 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I used O.R as an example because of the religious right indoctrinations. Personally I do not believe that the republicans really care about PBS or anything else on that station except for NPR. rove and company have pledged to remove the show because they have exposed many sneaky things during the bush error (opps era) and the republican lies.
Nothing being widely broadcast over the national airwaves ... be it radio or television or print is anything more than propaganda and halve truths.

Some people are convinced that NPR is an independent source since it is a non-profit ... but it's list of donors tells another tale:

NPR: National Public Radio Or National Propaganda Radio? » 12Bytes.org

And, somewhat reflective of the sentiments here .... some claim NPR has a conservative bias, while others insist it is left leaning.

The fact is, the public has been force fed so much crap propaganda for so long now, no one seems capable of determining what the truth really is. And if you don't know that, how the hell could one determine who is being unfairly biased?

The answer is, it's impossible.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 PM

15,086 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Yeah, how dare we have someone in the Whitehouse other than a whiteman. If mitts gets in I hope that you will be happy when he ignores you completely
I'd be happy with a purple president if the mother-shut-your-mouth could make it 24 hours without lying or doing something purely evil.

And so would most Americans, I think. Trouble is, those fellers aren't invited to participate in presidential debates and elections.

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 10-25-2012 at 11:08 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 11:51 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Interesting you mention that, as 100 years after that, the parties do a 'flip flop'. So basically you mean yesterday's republicans/today's democrats.
Is that why the democrats had a senator as recently as 2 years ago that acknowledged they were a member of the KKK?

Old 10-26-2012, 05:32 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,014 times
Republicans don't care about blacks, they know they won't get much support so let it go. They also need to make the core of the right happy and that has alot of negative beliefs about blacks in general so they have to let off these little racist statements every now and then. Even if they're trying to appeal to blacks they'll lose alot of their core support which is older southerners who aren't found of blacks in general. They've put themselves in a box and its hard for them to break out of that.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:55 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
I gave it some time to see if any Republicans would have the decency to say that this was a poorly worded statement and insist an apology should be made. This would at least add some credibility to their party's claim that they don't send out racially coded messages to rile up the racists in their fold.

I'm talking about Sarah Palin 'calling out' Obama for 'shucking & jiving' and then having the gall to claim that there's 'nothing remotely racist' about saying a Black person is shucking & jiving. It's pretty much understood that Palin is an idiot, so I don't put it past her that she doesn't know the racial history of that term as a characterization of Blacks as lazy liars. But that doesn't change that it's a historical fact. And being presented w/ that fact, she has an obligation to recognize that she messed up.

Instead, she wants to ignore the whole of history to maintain this Republican mentality of being blind to racism even when using historically racist language. And then Republicans as a whole feign outrage over Blacks not supporting their party when obvious errors like this are not only go unretracted, they get defended.

So I'll ask again, since every time I do the Republicans on here remain eerily silent: WHAT ARE REPUBLICANS DOING TO MAKE BLACK PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE NOT A PARTY OF RACIST?

For the sake of comparison, a prominent White Democrat politician used the same phrase to describe Obama's actions. He thought it was synonymous w/ 'bob & weave.' When he learned it wasn't, he apologized and explained that he didn't know the history.
So your saying REPUBLICANS are racist and DEMOCRATS are not?
got it..

Old 10-26-2012, 06:56 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
Quote:
I gave it some time to see if any Republicans would have the decency to say that this was a poorly worded statement and insist an apology should be made. This would at least add some credibility to their party's claim that they don't send out racially coded messages to rile up the racists in their fold.

I'm talking about Sarah Palin 'calling out' Obama for 'shucking & jiving' and then having the gall to claim that there's 'nothing remotely racist' about saying a Black person is shucking & jiving. It's pretty much understood that Palin is an idiot, so I don't put it past her that she doesn't know the racial history of that term as a characterization of Blacks as lazy liars. But that doesn't change that it's a historical fact. And being presented w/ that fact, she has an obligation to recognize that she messed up.

Instead, she wants to ignore the whole of history to maintain this Republican mentality of being blind to racism even when using historically racist language. And then Republicans as a whole feign outrage over Blacks not supporting their party when obvious errors like this are not only go unretracted, they get defended.

So I'll ask again, since every time I do the Republicans on here remain eerily silent: WHAT ARE REPUBLICANS DOING TO MAKE BLACK PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE NOT A PARTY OF RACIST?

For the sake of comparison, a prominent White Democrat politician used the same phrase to describe Obama's actions. He thought it was synonymous w/ 'bob & weave.' When he learned it wasn't, he apologized and explained that he didn't know the history.
And a prominent Vice President said: "put y'all back in chains".

The Bee Gees recorded: Jive Talkin. I guess it's time to ban it.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Shuck N Jive Cajun Food Restaurant | Richardson & Dallas, TX on Greenville

How dare these damn people....(or whities for the OP)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections