Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 PM

937 posts, read 926,834 times

Advertisements

I am shocked at the lack of interest in 3rd party candidates. I know they're not viable but they receive hardly any press coverage. I'd much rather my vote go towards Gary Johnson or Jill Stein than Obama or Romney.
How long do you think it will be before a new party emerges to the forefront of the political realm? If ever?
Also, what would be a catalyst for this kind of change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 04:46 PM

1,403 posts, read 936,943 times
Not sure...if Johnson can get 5% of the vote this year in 2016 he has said he is running again and he would have matching funds from the government which I believe is 90 million..so he could get his message out there better..personally I hope another Obama term destroys the country and we can rebuild.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:48 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Unfortunately,until they can raise hundreds of millions of dollars they`ll go nowhere. That`s what we have to live with.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 PM

577 posts, read 992,125 times
I believe it will have to be a Perot type, meaning tons of money to spend. He/She would have to have at least $30-40 million or so to throw in the ring, not including what they could raise from voters. not sure when that will happen if ever.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:53 PM

So by the logic so far, unless they're supported by a megachurch or highly profitable corporation with legislative money to burn, no?
I wish these kinds of things didn't come down to money. Maybe strenuous efforts towards getting their names on the front pages of press and local media with philanthropy or something...

Old 10-29-2012, 05:49 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times
The third party candidates waste their time and money. I think it is sad that our political system has so few options, but unfortunately they are wasting their resources. I think these parties would be better suited to use what money and influenece they have to sway the major parties in their direction a little.

They do a good job of getting their message out there but ultimately if the objective is to win elected office...they just don't stand a chance.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
They do a good job of getting their message out there but ultimately if the objective is to win elected office...they just don't stand a chance.
I wonder why that is? I think it's due to tradition or something but drastic times call for drastic measures.
They need to gain more ground through news outlets and word of mouth from other people.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:41 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Unless they can change the Constitution to have proportional representation...the answer is never. The first past the post system and single member districts pretty much determines that there will always be only 2 major parties that dominate everything.

On the other hand if we changed our Constitution and had elections similar to how they vote for representatives in say Israel we would have robust 3rd parties. Not saying we should, but that is the only way you will see more then 2 parties.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
I am shocked at the lack of interest in 3rd party candidates. I know they're not viable but they receive hardly any press coverage. I'd much rather my vote go towards Gary Johnson or Jill Stein than Obama or Romney.
How long do you think it will be before a new party emerges to the forefront of the political realm? If ever?
Also, what would be a catalyst for this kind of change?
As long as conservatives continue to vote for moderate like Romney, and liberals continue to vote for moderates like Obama, you will see very little diversity in choices

Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Not for a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections