Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I went to get my car inspected at the end of last month. While I was waiting the car salesman came in the office and recognized me. Of course he got around to asking me if I was ready to buy a car to which I replied no, at least not until the election was over. He asked why is that? to which I replied if Obama gets re-elected I will push my car until it will not go anymore.
Which would be being fiscally responsible.

Quote:
There are other things I am holding off on too. Is there anyone else holding off on expensive purchases?
Except for battleships, no. Consumers have been spending on necessities and luxuries for a while now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:09 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
LOL, I don't base my purchases on who is president. I bought a house when Bush was president. We will probably buy another within the next 2-3 years and I won't care who wins, I will buy it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
I just bought a new Honda, made in Ohio. My wife wants a 2nd refrigerator for the basement we finished over the summer to go next to the new washer and dryer.

You know what's going to get the economy going? People spending, creating demand, creating jobs, creating business opportunities, creating wealth. Whoever wins the election will have a negligible effect on the economy. Thank God all the real decisions are in the hands of the Federal Reserve, not elected politicians. You know what WON'T get the economy going? Whiny crybabies who believe the President has a magic wand and make everything all better.

So you can keep pushing your beater while wallowing in bitterness, the rest of us will improve our lives no matter who's in the Whitehouse.
I also agree with the bold. People spending their money improves the economy, not the president. Remember when Bush gave us those "stimulus checks?" That was so people would go out and use them to buy stuff. I did and was happy to get the money but it is just a short term solution. People have to continue to buy things to keep the economy moving.

I try to only buy big ticket items that are made here in America in order to have a positive effect on my country.

In regards to cars, I also drive cars into the ground. I live in a state that taxes cars every year - the ad valorem tax - which I hate. Due to that I will never buy a new car while a resident in this state (GA) because I know people who bought new cars and had to pay $1200 to register said car for a tag. I don't like to pay more than $60. We also have emission testing in my area. My cars have always passed with no problems so I don't think I need a new one just to pass and I won't go out and buy a new one just so I won't have to take the test when it only cost $15 and the tag fee for my new car would be $500 or more. I'd rather pay the $15 - emission test fee, plus $60 tage fee, which is much less than $500.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:21 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Savvy American investors do not need to fear a global power shift, nor the dawn of the Chinese century. Many U.S. companies will benefit by expanding their international market share, and U.S. investors will profit by directly owning stocks in foreign companies. By positioning your portfolio, you can profit alongside them.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Nope. I don't peg my finances to political figures and elections. If i wanna buy something and i can afford it, i buy it.

Simple as that.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:27 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
No, and I don't know anyone who really is.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:40 AM

Ok, thank you for your comments.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4
You know what's going to get the economy going? People spending, creating demand, creating jobs, creating business opportunities, creating wealth.
I agree with this too but putting more thought into it... it is law that the Bush tax cuts will expire for everyone depending on your income level you will have to pay more in taxes. Higher taxes also means less money circulating through local economies and instead depends on government to redistribute it to how they think is best.

This summer the house voted to extend them for everyone including higher income but nothing happened in senate and Obama said he would veto the extension if it gets to him and it includes the extension for higher income levels. At this time this issue is pushed past elections.

My question is since as it stands today, we all get taxed higher what makes anyone think that it would not be veto'ed and we all pay higher taxes.

Just asking an honest question and I would like to hear from democrats on this board.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
I went to get my car inspected at the end of last month. While I was waiting the car salesman came in the office and recognized me. Of course he got around to asking me if I was ready to buy a car to which I replied no, at least not until the election was over. He asked why is that? to which I replied if Obama gets re-elected I will push my car until it will not go anymore.

There are other things I am holding off on too. Is there anyone else holding off on expensive purchases?
Yes. Also trying to get all ailments fixed before Obamacare kicks in fully and they decide I'm only worth a pain pill.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nope. I don't peg my finances to political figures and elections. If i wanna buy something and i can afford it, i buy it.

Simple as that.
So you're living your life as you see fit, regardless of politics, I can dig that,

Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
I agree with this too but putting more thought into it... it is law that the Bush tax cuts will expire for everyone depending on your income level you will have to pay more in taxes.

This summer the house voted to extend them for everyone including higher income but nothing happened in senate and Obama said he would veto the extension if it gets to him and it includes the extension for higher income levels. At this time this issue is pushed past elections.

My question is since as it stands today, we all get taxed higher what makes anyone think that it would not be veto'ed and we all pay higher taxes.

Just asking an honest question and I would like to hear from democrats on this board.
My taxes went down after Obama got elected. Remember that nearly half of the stimulus was tax cuts.

That tax cut was helpful. I was keeping more money, and therefore spending a little more, which helped the economy. I also paid off some debt.

But if the Federal debt is truly the biggest threat to this country, I'll proudly pay more in taxes.

By the way, the tax increase being proposed is what we had during the 90's, hardly a bad era economically for the U.S.

Since then we've gone to multiple wars, one unnecessary and voluntary, while intentionally reducing revenues.

That was dumb.

And irresponsible.

And unpatriotic.

It's time to pay for those past mistakes. And we all have to chip in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections