Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:20 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,867,249 times

Advertisements

An Obama victory is now in the air. I see no way the Electorial College math can work for Romney. Without Ohio he cannot get to 271 and every poll in Ohio has had a lead for Obama albeit a small one. Romney may well win the popular vote but I see Obama winning where it counts. Unlike 4 years ago, Obama will not win a mandate to govern. He will still face a heavily Republican Congress and possibly a hostile Republican Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM

17,386 posts, read 11,908,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
An Obama victory is now in the air. I see no way the Electorial College math can work for Romney. Without Ohio he cannot get to 271 and every poll in Ohio has had a lead for Obama albeit a small one. Romney may well win the popular vote but I see Obama winning where it counts. Unlike 4 years ago, Obama will not win a mandate to govern. He will still face a heavily Republican Congress and possibly a hostile Republican Senate.
If, as the libs fantasize, Obama wins, it won't matter.

He'll be impeached within months. Remember, it's not the crime, it's the coverup.

Last edited by ringwise; 11-01-2012 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,362,276 times
Quote:
and possibly a hostile Republican Senate.
Most models show the Democrats keeping the Senate.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,415,873 times
Quote:
When he lost the popular vote to Gore, Dubya had no "mandate to govern" either... not that it ever made any difference (especially to a bunch that can't even accept a black POTUS under any circumstances)!

Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,761,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
If, as the libs fantasize, Obama wins, it won't matter.

He'll be impeached within months. Remember, it's not the crime, it's the coverup.
What's the crime?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:27 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,889,160 times
Obama may win which will be ok, since we need to know where he is at trial time. Treason is a capitol offence still.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,947,379 times
Quote:
The GOP Senate chances have almost completely evaporated. If the political landscape is such that President Obama wins, it will be virtually impossible for the GOP to pick up the five seats necessary to get to 51 Senators, not to mention offset the loss of their Snowe seat in Maine they currently hold. And that's not even factoring in the very likely loss of the Brown seat in Massachusetts, or the unfolding debacle in Indiana.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 AM

36,852 posts, read 18,847,047 times
Quote:
Does that mean the republicans are gong to continue to obstruct whatever he proposes regardless of whether it is good for the country or not?

That is the one thing they have plenty of pracitce doing...

Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,039,308 times
Quote:
This is the stuff i hate...this "mandate" stuff.

When Clinton beat Bush, Repubs immediately started screaming about how Clinton didn't have a mandate to do anything...led by Bob Dole incidently. It's sore loser crap. Something to throw out there to emasculate the president and his supporters and making them feel as if they've accomplished nothing by winning.

If a president wins, he has political capital, a mandate, and he should use it to the extent that he can. The mandate comes from the people, and the people elected him over someone else. So if Romney or Obama wins, they should be able to carry out their agenda because THAT'S what the people voted for in a Constitutional Republic. We also vote in Congressmen that keep a check on his/her agenda, and we expect them to do their jobs so as not to have an imperial presidency.

But to declare BEFORE an election that the presupposed winner doesn't have a mandate is bullshyt.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,310,440 times
He said if he wins his mandate is to balance the budget. Question for him and Romney, which neither has answered, how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections