Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times

Advertisements

I read on another forum that there are some who truly believe as soon as Romney's sworn in, he'll begin instituting stringent policies that will propel us, women especially, straight back to the dark ages at warp speed.

How can you possibly believe that? He will have numerous things on the agenda, none of which involve taking away social 'rights'. I doubt Ann would have stuck with him these last forty plus years if Mitt was the type to restrict what she says and does.

Seriously, do you think he will start revoking your freedom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 07:58 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I read on another forum that there are some who truly believe as soon as Romney's sworn in, he'll begin instituting stringent policies that will propel us, women especially, straight back to the dark ages at warp speed.

How can you possibly believe that? He will have numerous things on the agenda, none of which involve taking away social 'rights'. I doubt Ann would have stuck with him these last forty plus years if Mitt was the type to restrict what she says and does.

Yes indeed.

Mr. Romney has declared that one of his first acts in office will be to issue an executive order mandating that all Americans donate 10 percent of their before-tax earnings to the Church of Later Day Saints

The executive order will also declare that the LDS is the official religion of the United States of America.

Note that Mr. Romney will NOT insist that Americans change their religious faith, just that they support the LDS church.

Is it true?

Of course. For you just read it on the internet.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Although I am not voting Romney, I cannot imagine he would make social issues a priority, if he wins.

Obamacare will become Romneycare and life will go on.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Well, there are some things that he has said he would do on Day One. It seems unlikely that he would accomplish them all on his first day in office, but they are indiciative of his thinking.

For instance, he says he would immediately repeal the Affordable Care Act. (I know, he's said a lot of other things about the Affordable Care Act so we can't be sure what he would really do.) Doing this would immediately allow health insurance companies to reinstitute price discrimination against women, refuse to cover contraceptives, and reinstitute deductibles and copays for preventive services that are primarily used by women.

Romney has also refused to support the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. I don't know if he would try to repeal it, but if he did that would make it much more difficult for women to seek redress for wage discrimination. You undoubtedly recall how Romney stared in incomprehension when the young woman at the debate asked about equal pay for women. It's an issue that he doesn't care about and doesn't even think about.

Romney and his supporters appear to place a high priority in denying government financial assistance to Planned Parenthood. Setting aside the fact that not a dollar of federal money goes to buying abortions from Planned Parenthood, doing this would make it much more difficult for women to obtain contraception, family planning counseling, and basic medical care.

Romney would do everything in his power to appoint federal judges and Supreme Court justices who would try to reverse Roe v. Wade and outlaw abortion.

A Romney-Ryan administration would reduce federal education funding, as the Republicans have tried to do with attacks on Pell grants and student loans. If funding for higher education is reduced this will make it more difficult for all people, including women, to obtain the higher education that enables them to become self-sufficient and independent of their spouses.

I could go on, but there is really no need to.

Reading your original post, the best argument in your favor is that you think that your boys Romney and Ryan won't be faithful to the things they have told their supporters they would do. If that is what makes them look good you're really grasping at straws.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
This rubbish was a big part of the Obama re-election campaign. Unfortunately, a lot of people are buying it.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:16 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:

One of the biggest factors is his Supreme Court Justice appointments. Several positions will likely be filled in the next 4-8 years, which means an ultra Conservative court for decades.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:38 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Although I am not voting Romney, I cannot imagine he would make social issues a priority, if he wins.

Obamacare will become Romneycare and life will go on.
I think that if Congress makes social policy a priority (and the R's have already said that they will) then Romney will sign it without hesitation. He won't stand up to them.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:41 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think that if Congress makes social policy a priority (and the R's have already said that they will) then Romney will sign it without hesitation. He won't stand up to them.
I disagree. He has been trending more and more moderate since winning the Repub nomination.

Obama has done the opposite.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:43 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Absolutely. The GOP would love to take us back to the Jim Crow days.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
This. ^^ Romney has been cowed by the far right already, morphing from an East Coast liberal Republican to a "severe" Conservative in the short span of an election cycle in order to get the GOP nomination. Everything he has done in the last year has shown he has no courage to stand up to the wing nuts in his own party. He will be a rubber stamp for the crazies. That alone should propel moderates, independents and anyone with a working brain to the other side. And it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections