Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:40 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,862,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Let me first apologize for using the word "gender", a feminist weasel-word I try hard to avoid. But it's in the headline.

"A new poll of the swing-state Virginia from the left-leaning Public Policy Polling finds President Barack Obama with a 3-point lead over Republican nominee Mitt Romney. The intensity of the gender gap is a main reason why. Obama leads by an incredible 17 points among Virginia women, who comprise 55 percent of PPP's sample. Meanwhile, Romney edges Obama by 16 points with men."

Is it just me, or is the alienation of American women from American men escalating at breakneck pace?
Really????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
How come the jobs report that just came out is 7.9% unemployment?
Did you even read the link? The information calculated there is based on data that ended in October 2012.

Quote:
You've got to be kidding.

Unemployment has been above or around 8% for something like 44 straight months. That's almost 4 years.

Men have not done pretty well under Obama and neither have women.
"The deep recession that began in December 2007 cost workers nearly 7.5 million jobs before it officially ended in June 2009. Between June 2009 and October 2012, the economy added almost 3.3 million net jobs."
Stronger Recovery Reaching Women | National Women's Law Center

Quote:
That's why so many men are voting for Romney.
Because they don't understand the state of the economy since December 2007 and think that re-implementing the policies that led to December 2007 would be a good thing? Sorry, but I believe that many men are smarter than this, and hence why they are voting for someone other than Romney.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
You know, for hundreds of years the men pretty much ran things. Well, they did a pretty lousy job of it I'd say. Personally,I think that women tend to be far better at solving problems, anticipating possible problems, getting along with one another and they look a lot better too. So, to all you ladies out there, all the power to ya!!!!

Old 11-03-2012, 10:45 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
There's a reason none of you are discussing Romney's policies that men support here.
Yes there is a reason. But it's not because he doesn't have those policies.

Men don't care about that reason.

Men just care about getting him elected so we can have a good economy again.

And the thing about the Obama recovery being slow but sure doesn't cut it. If Obama is re-elected, his policies are still not going to be business friendly.

Why have an economy that chugs along for years because of Obama's boot on the neck of business?

When we could have a robust economy?

Most new hires are getting jobs in spite of Obama. Not because of Obama.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:

Romney is just going to lead you and yours into economic salvation, is he? Simple as that.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Did you even read the link? The information calculated there is based on data that ended in October 2012.

Stronger Recovery Reaching Women | National Women's Law Center

Because they don't understand the state of the economy since December 2007 and think that re-implementing the policies that led to December 2007 would be a good thing? Sorry, but I believe that many men are smarter than this, and hence why they are voting for someone other than Romney.
I did read the article. You said that men are doing pretty well.

This is also in that article.

"Unemployment for many vulnerable groups remained high during the recovery.

Unemployment rates for adult black women and men, adult Hispanic women and men, and single mothers have been persistently higher than for adult women or men overall throughout the recession and recovery.

Unemployment rates increased over the recovery for adult black women (11.6 percent to 12.4 percent).

Long-term unemployment is substantially higher than at the start of the recovery.

The percentage of jobless workers who were still looking for work after more than six months of unemployment increased dramatically since the start of the recovery in June 2009, to 42.7 percent for adult women in October 2012, an increase of 13.4 percentage points, and to 46.4 percent for adult men in October 2012, an increase of 15.7 percentage points."

Old 11-03-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I did read the article. You said that men are doing pretty well.

This is also in that article.

"Unemployment for many vulnerable groups remained high during the recovery.

Unemployment rates for adult black women and men, adult Hispanic women and men, and single mothers have been persistently higher than for adult women or men overall throughout the recession and recovery.

Unemployment rates increased over the recovery for adult black women (11.6 percent to 12.4 percent).

Long-term unemployment is substantially higher than at the start of the recovery.

The percentage of jobless workers who were still looking for work after more than six months of unemployment increased dramatically since the start of the recovery in June 2009, to 42.7 percent for adult women in October 2012, an increase of 13.4 percentage points, and to 46.4 percent for adult men in October 2012, an increase of 15.7 percentage points."
We've been in a deep recession. Do you really think that there is some magic plan out there for turning around an economy the size of the United States quickly? It's simply not logical to think that such a thing can turn on a dime.

And why did you leave out this part?

"Unemployment rates declined during the recovery for adult black men (16.3 percent to 14.1 percent), adult Hispanic men (10.7 percent to 8.3 percent), adult Hispanic women (11.5 percent to 9.5 percent), and single mothers (11.7 percent to 11.5 percent)."

And here is the recommendation for continued improvement for the deep recession that began in December 2007.

"The economy still has a long way to go to achieve a full recovery. The data highlight the need for policy makers to invest in job creation for women and men, to extend emergency unemployment benefits for long-term jobless workers, and to reject further cuts in funding for public services that would mean more job losses and increased hardship, especially for women and their families."

Who is more likely to do these things? Romney or Obama?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:06 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:

Do you know what these policies are? That's where I'm curious. If the argument is that working class, southern white men have not been fairing well during the slow moving recovery without an in depth review of what policies Romney intends to implement, it's a lesser of two evils argument at best rather than anything specific related to the economy. OTOH, based on what I've been reading, white working class mid-western men are more supportive of Obama due to experience with his policies (the auto bailouts and manufacturing). That's pretty specific, so the opposing argument here would need to be as specific, don't you think? None of this really addresses the argument of gender differences due to the economy since nobody is making that argument. It's an assumption as far as I can tell in this thread.

Quote:
And the thing about the Obama recovery being slow but sure doesn't cut it. If Obama is re-elected, his policies are still not going to be business friendly.
I don't really know if it cuts it. It's difficult to say or even know. Should the bailouts have never happened, been stronger? Who knows. Have the education deductions and credits really helped or wouldn't it have mattered? We only know the outcome personally and statistically. Predictions are difficult. I'm not convinced that Romney's policies would work. It would be nice if you would make the argument.

Quote:
Why have an economy that chugs along for years because of Obama's boot on the neck of business?

When we could have a robust economy?

Most new hires are getting jobs in spite of Obama. Not because of Obama.
This is what you say, but are you just parroting news casts or do really know something? I think there's been more than enough evidence over the past 20 some odd years that trickle down economics are largely talk. You say Obama's foot is on the neck of business, and yet as previously noted, businesses have been improving and making record profits for the past 2-3 years. I thought that correlated with slow economic recovery, which was really to be expected, rather than him having his foot on the neck of business. I don't think one presidency, man, or administration (repub or dem) that could have flipped the chaos that started in -07, but that is the argument and it's naive.

Anyhow, as a woman I can say the economy is at the top of my list. This recession has really screwed with my financial life plan. Having Romney as Governor and being familiar with him for many years, then witnessing him fibbing about my state during the debates, I'm just not convinced by a wink and a smile, especially when it's tied to the lunacy to be found in right, that he has a fix. I'm still worried about his loop hole approach. I'm not sure what it's exactly about.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
We've been in a deep recession. Do you really think that there is some magic plan out there for turning around an economy the size of the United States quickly? It's simply not logical to think that such a thing can turn on a dime.

"Unemployment rates declined during the recovery for adult black men (16.3 percent to 14.1 percent), adult Hispanic men (10.7 percent to 8.3 percent), adult Hispanic women (11.5 percent to 9.5 percent), and single mothers (11.7 percent to 11.5 percent)."

And here is the recommendation for continued improvement for the deep recession that began in December 2007.

"The economy still has a long way to go to achieve a full recovery. The data highlight the need for policy makers to invest in job creation for women and men, to extend emergency unemployment benefits for long-term jobless workers, and to reject further cuts in funding for public services that would mean more job losses and increased hardship, especially for women and their families."

What he is ignoring is that unemployment peaked in '09 for most, or at least for whites, which didn't have anything to do with today's policies. It's the sustained unemployment either due to the recession or poor policies, but I don't see them willing to discuss the latter.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
We're going to go into a double dip recession if Obama is re-elected.

Quote:

Anyone can click on your link if they want to read the article. Wow, declined from 16.3% to 14.1%. Awesome.

Quote:

Yeah, I read it before. Obama has plans to cut 16,000 postal workers over the next 4 years. Look it up.

The other two "recommendations" will just result in a waste of billions of taxpayer dollars. Those are great recommendations.

Looking forward to voting for Romney on Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections