U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,384,000 times

Advertisements

Lets get the facts straight..

Quote:
Mr. Romney opposes same-sex marriage and supports the federal act, which not only denies federal benefits and recognition to same-sex couples but allows states to ignore marriages made in other states. His campaign declared that Mr. Romney would not object if states also banned adoption by same-sex couples and restricted their rights to hospital visitation and other privileges.
Mr. Romney has been careful to avoid the efforts of some Republicans to criminalize abortion even in the case of women who had been raped, including by family members. He says he is not opposed to contraception, but he has promised to deny federal money to Planned Parenthood, on which millions of women depend for family planning.
For these and many other reasons, we enthusiastically endorse President Barack Obama for a second term, and express the hope that his victory will be accompanied by a new Congress willing to work for policies that Americans need

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/op...ewanted=3&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 AM

414 posts, read 581,338 times
This definitely needs to stay near the top.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:32 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,384,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
This definitely needs to stay near the top.
Yep..seems some people are confused or intentionally misrepresenting the endorsement..

Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 AM

72,044 posts, read 83,705,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
golly, what a surprise; the most liberal major paper outside of the Boston Globe in the country and they actually endorsed Obama, what next? Oh and the NY Daily News endorsed Romney, what does that say? neither endorsement says much of anything...

Old 11-05-2012, 08:40 AM

8,287 posts, read 7,531,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Yep..seems some people are confused or intentionally misrepresenting the endorsement..
In the other OP's defense the title of the article was hacked. But the first sentence of the article says it all, as does the condemnation of Romney/Ryan:

"The Times states that Romney "has gotten this far with a guile that allows him to say whatever he thinks an audience wants to hear."

"He has tied himself to the ultraconservative forces that control the Republican Party and embraced their policies, including reckless budget cuts and 30-year-old, discredited trickle-down ideas," the editorial board writes of Romney. "Voters may still be confused about Mr. Romney’s true identity, but they know the Republican Party, and a Romney administration would reflect its agenda." The editorial adds that the appointment of Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) to Romney's ticket "says volumes" about what a Romney presidency would entail."

Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 AM

11,757 posts, read 8,316,820 times
The NYTimes endorses Obama every day.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 AM

26,784 posts, read 17,366,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
As it should be. Does Romney ever support ANYTHING for even two consecutive days?

Old 11-05-2012, 08:58 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,372,833 times
Quote:
Mr. Romney opposes same-sex marriage and supports the federal act, which not only denies federal benefits and recognition to same-sex couples but allows states to ignore marriages made in other states. His campaign declared that Mr. Romney would not object if states also banned adoption by same-sex couples and restricted their rights to hospital visitation and other privileges.
This is one reason he got my vote...

Quote:
Mr. Romney has been careful to avoid the efforts of some Republicans to criminalize abortion even in the case of women who had been raped, including by family members. He says he is not opposed to contraception, but he has promised to deny federal money to Planned Parenthood, on which millions of women depend for family planning.
This is a big reason I was hesitant to vote for him.

But, to me... social issues can wait... I need a fixed economy. And, in my opinion only, a laywer versus a self-made millionaire businessman is what this came down to. Obama had 4 years to show his law side can also deliver on economics, but I'm not seeing what I hoped I would see when I voted for him in 2008. But he's proven he's a lawyer through and through.

Lawyer vs. businessman on economics... the switch to pull was easy for me.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,754,949 times
In other news, the NYT likes New York City. So much so, that it plans on staying headquartered there.
It's like saying they endorse people reading newspapers. They are who they are, and they are irrelevant as ever.

The NYT obsesses over a few social issues like good little liberals, and ignore the catastrophe that is the Obama Residency.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 AM

6,480 posts, read 6,205,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections