Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:29 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I will make money regardless of who is in office. Neither Romney or Obama will be handling my marketing nor improving my skill sets. If you rely on politicians to better your life, prepare for disapointment.
They can put up roadblocks called regulations to hinder advancement - just ask the coal industry. I believe Obama said he would regulate them out of business from what I remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 03:37 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Barack Obama, of course. The recovery has already started. Why should Romney take the credit for it?
There is no recovery. We are sitting stagnant, the growth in the economy and jobs are weak even for an economy with full employment. We are flat-lining, that's the best way to look at it, the country has been in cardiac arrest for 46 months.

We have blown $6 trillion dollars
or more, and are getting no where. No president has ever spent so much money and acquired so little to show for it.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:37 PM

23,966 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The same. Doesn't really matter who wins.

Do you really want higher interest rates? Low mortgage rates far outweigh the income from making a profit from intrests.
Unless you are a senior who depends on interest rates. Everybody and their brother advises seniors to get out of the market when the are in their 70's. Can't do that anymore. But if your can't take a lot of risk good dividends is about all there is. With all the municipalities retirement obligations being iffy, those bonds are too much risk for some people.

My friend and I are trying to get enough interest off of a jumbo CD to buy a good hamburger. MY MIL bought a car with her 8% plain ol bank CD interest years ago. I don't expect that but a hamburger every quarter might be good.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:46 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Unless you are a senior who depends on interest rates. Everybody and their brother advises seniors to get out of the market when the are in their 70's. Can't do that anymore. But if your can't take a lot of risk good dividends is about all there is. With all the municipalities retirement obligations being iffy, those bonds are too much risk for some people.

My friend and I are trying to get enough interest off of a jumbo CD to buy a good hamburger. MY MIL bought a car with her 8% plain ol bank CD interest years ago. I don't expect that but a hamburger every quarter might be good.
Well, I hope they don't "fix" the economy by raising the interest rates unless the economy overheats. It may be good for a small group of seniors, but that is not a good enough reason to raise them for everyone.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:49 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Which candidate for President is most likely to help you make more MONEY over the next 4 years?

PBO.

Romney would send my job to either China or the Cayman Islands.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:53 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, if we're betting on making more money - whether it's through higher paying jobs, better interest rates, better real estate prices, higher stock prices, etc. - who is more likely to help you with this? Romney or Obama?
I make my own money, never had a problem with that regardless of who was in Office or the state of the economy.

I will vote for the person who I feel can best run the country.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Neither will directly help me make money. But Romney in the white house would lift the pall of doom and depression that has fallen over the nation. People spend more money when they feel good. I have a small business and I've decided to consider closing if 0bama is reelected.
If the success of your business is contingent on who the president is, your business is a joke and you have a rotten business plan. Sorry.

In my case, I'm unaffected regardless of who wins.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:48 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Mind blowing isn't it? These people use this type of reasoning to vote!!
What's mindblowing about voting for the person who will give me pre-existing coverage? What's mindblowing about the fact that I COULDN'T get coverage due to mild pre-existing conditions when I was just 22 years old resulted in a Stage IV cancer diagnosis at 23 when, had I had medical insurance, I could have gotten a check up when I felt fatigued and maybe had a better shot at living to even see beyond these next 4 years of a presidency?

Obamacare was not even TALKED about during this period of time and the provisions of Obamacare that will help me will not go into effect until 2014. Obama's policies have absolutely nothing to do with my struggle to get access to healthcare because they did not exist.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Mind blowing isn't it? These people use this type of reasoning to vote!!
So is the "logic" that Romney will roll back the clock when he provided it in the first place.
Makes zero sense.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:13 PM

239 posts, read 467,764 times
4 years experience and nothing to show for it. Obama has set this country back 10 years with his horrible decision making. Just take a look at these numbers and see what Obama has done these past 4 years.

In January 2009, there were 133.56 million Americans with jobs and 31.98 million on food stamps. Today, there are 133.76 million Americans with jobs and 46.68 million on food stamps. The employment rolls have thus grown by 0.15 percent and the food stamp rolls have grown by 46 percent, meaning that for every one American who found a job, 75 Americans signed up for food stamps. Meanwhile, during that time, our nation’s debt has risen $5.63 trillion. Total spending on food stamps is now more than $80 billion annually, a fourfold increase from 2001. Total spending on federal means-tested welfare—food stamps, public housing, social services, cash aid, etc.—is now approximately $1 trillion. That amount is enough, if converted to cash, to send every household beneath the federal poverty line an annual check for $60,000.

Welfare spending is projected to remain permanently elevated; for instance, at no point in the next 10 years will fewer than 1 in 9 Americans be on food stamps. In fact, the Administration has actively sought to boost food stamp spending and enrollment, including through a partnership with the Mexican government to advertise benefits to foreign nationals, as well as materials that teach outreach workers how to “overcome the word ‘No.’” USDA even goes so far as to argue that the program is “the most direct stimulus you can get.”

Overall, in the last four years, the United States’ gross federal debt has increased 53 percent, food stamp enrollment has increased 46 percent, and the number of employed persons has increased just 0.15 percent. This picture, however, is even more ominous than it looks. While only 194,000 net jobs have been created since 2009, the working age population has increased by approximately 5 million—almost 25 times that amount. In other words, a shrinking share of working age adults have or are even looking for a job. The real unemployment number (U-6), therefore, is 14.6 percent.

To put this month's job creation in historical perspective, in October of 1984, 286,000 jobs were created—67 percent more—at a time when the U.S. working age population was 26 percent smaller than it is today

This president and his administration is a total failure and is driving this country into the ground, we deserve better and Mitt Romney is the man best suited to get us out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections