U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:38 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,307,164 times

Advertisements

To address the title of this thread, "If you DO vote you have no right to complain about the outcome."

That is not an accurate statement. If 90% of the people are retarded (and that is NOT an inappropriate term, as if I say "I held back the timing on my '67 Chevy", and didn't say "I retarded the timing by turning the distributor a few degrees").... you get the drift. Those who want a freebie and a handout from the government will ultimately decide. Manufacturing and innovation in this country are in real trouble. JMHO.

I DO and CAN complain about the outcome, as I watch this country go straight down the hopper... (if it goes the way I pray, it will not, but I don't get the anti-Mormon thing, and see existing utter incompetence steering the boat right now).

Though I will vote, but I do have some sympathy for those that think one vote does not count... If you do the math, I might as well play the lottery.

Just my opinions, but we are in real trouble, regardless whether I vote or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 07:39 AM

1,515 posts, read 995,848 times
This is the best & most accurate post that I think I've read on CD! American voters have to be among the dumbest species on the planet. To call them idiots is an understatement. They'll keep waving their Democrat or Republican flags though. Thanks for your post. Wish I could rep you a few million times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Some government is necessary. Our problem today is twofold:

• The complete corruption of the process by vast sums of corporate money
  • An electorate dumbed down to a level unimaginable a few decades ago

Only corporate money and the collective mass of idiots that have, for example, ruined the state of California politically and socially, have political power and influence today. If you're not part of those two problems, you have no say whatsoever and your "vote" is a silly exercise in futility. And, if you are not part of either problem, you have no candidate who will in any way represent your interests in this Presidential race.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 AM

31,736 posts, read 36,414,276 times
Quote:
The complete corruption of the process by vast sums of corporate money
An electorate dumbed down to a level unimaginable a few decades ago
We need to limit campaigning to the year of the election (impossible?)

Do we require a level of comprehension, reading before one can vote ? Previously the poor did not take usually take the time to vote. The last election along with groups like Acorn brought out the barely educated.

Solutions ?

Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 AM

32,274 posts, read 26,131,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Who is responsible for the gridlock?
lets start with harry reid who has YET to pass a budget in the senate since obama was elected. then lets talk about obama who started his presidency with "we won the election" and other divisive language since he was elected. and then we can talk about mitch mcconnel who has said he wants to make obama a one term president. both sides are the problem, but the issues stem from democrats locking out republicans in 2009 when republicans WANTED to work with the dems.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,999,305 times
It only makes sense when you don't consider write in possibilities and third party candidates.

You can vote against both main parties, and still vote.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 AM

5,313 posts, read 7,550,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Who is responsible for the gridlock?
He doesn't even get his own party to back him. Next question.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM

2,120 posts, read 5,624,650 times
Unfortunately, this point is not easily understood by people who continue to spout rehashed excuses in support of the two-party system. In reality, itís a pretty simple concept: donít vote for what you donít want. There is no reason to get emotionally attached to these two corrupt, hypocritical, and tyrannical political parties.

The motivation for not voting is the same as the one for voting. People say they vote to make a political statement, to have a say in things (albeit indirectly). Not voting is making an equally valid political statement, but one that is made about the whole system, not just a candidate.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,999,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Unfortunately, this point is not easily understood by people who continue to spout rehashed excuses in support of the two-party system. In reality, itís a pretty simple concept: donít vote for what you donít want. There is no reason to get emotionally attached to these two corrupt, hypocritical, and tyrannical political parties.

The motivation for not voting is the same as the one for voting. People say they vote to make a political statement, to have a say in things (albeit indirectly). Not voting is making an equally valid political statement, but one that is made about the whole system, not just a candidate.

Again, two party system. This ignores the fact that there are about 5 or 6 Presidential candidates in most states, and every state I know of has a "write in" position.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 AM

2,120 posts, read 5,624,650 times

Old 11-06-2012, 08:30 AM

9,489 posts, read 4,843,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post

Not voting isn't as good as voting 3rd party. A non-vote can be due to laziness, illness, bad weather, never registering, better things to do, thinking both major candidates are fine, a host of reasons besides making a political statement. Voting 3rd party is an affirmative act, a direct political statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or