U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,189,941 times

Advertisements

Waited in line for about 45 minutes. The voting location was in a heavy Somali neighborhood. I'd say I was one of 5 white people in line at any given moment. No ID required here, so I signed my name, cast my ballot, and walked home. It was very simple. I do feel bad for the volunteers at the polling place struggling to help many of the people who don't speak English very well.

A voter ID amendment is on the ballot and will probably pass, unfortunately.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,071,380 times
Voted at 10:15 AM, my polling place was nearly deserted. For a minute, I thought I was in the wrong place. The poll workers outnumbered the voters.
There were only 4 voters. The polling place was set up with 14 voting stations.
I'm a Blue voter in a Red suburb in Texas.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:38 PM

774 posts, read 2,084,054 times
Walked in around 6:30 this morning.

No line.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:38 PM

5,670 posts, read 7,541,783 times
My polling place is just down the street from my house, and in the twenty years I have been voting there, this is the first time there was ever a line of people waiting to vote.
It was out the door.
Usually I walk in, get my ballot, vote, and scram out the door.
Today I waited about fifteen minutes to get in the door.
If this is representative of the rest of the country, this election could be a record setter.

Bob.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:43 PM

22,764 posts, read 16,845,978 times
Well, I got sent to the wrong place the first time and the lines for registering were LONG while the lines for voting were steady but quick to get through, from what I saw. (So glad I was already registered.)

Once I finally got the right information about where I was supposed to vote, I got on my merry way. As I pulled out of the first place, it was a steady stream of voters. So nice to see even if I was frustrated at being told to go to the wrong place.

Got to the correct place and even though it is MUCH smaller, it was still a very steady stream of people coming in to vote.

Waiting time wasn't long at all, everything was run very efficiently. I have to hand it to this area of my state. While I was told the wrong place to go initially, (not by anyone in either of the voting places), in both places things were handled extremely well. I was so pleased to see that and so happy to see all kinds of people voting. People of all ages, races and genders were out there voting. It was fabulous.

The only thing I will say is, if you are running for office, even if it is local, and you are greeting people and shaking hands, have a good handshake. No one likes a fishy or half assed hand shake...especially from a potential leader.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:21 PM

7,529 posts, read 6,151,427 times
I voted at 11:30, 4 hours after they opened.

there was a line of about 10 people, and I was #399. quite a few showed up between 7:30 and 9:00. NE corner of the Charlotte metro, I left work early to beat the lunch crowd.

my wife walked down about 1:00 and it was slow then too.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:02 PM

1,609 posts, read 3,153,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No votes are counted by close of polling time. None.

Votes are counted AFTER the polls close.

In my state, the paper ballots are "fill-in-the-circle", and when you put your ballot in the box, it has to be inserted a specific way. The ballots are then counted by machines with special scanning software, so that an entire ballot box can be counted in minutes.
So how are the results coming in now from Indiana and Kentucky even when the polls haven't closed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or