U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM

8,561 posts, read 5,429,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Statistically sample what? Note that we had exactly zero problems voting early - not even a 5 minute wait. And my 94 year old father had zero problems voting by absentee ballot. Robyn
Ponte Vedra Beach is a very upscale and wealthy community. Might have something to do with why voting was so easy for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 06:44 PM

8,561 posts, read 5,429,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
When I was reading the thread in the Florida forum - I did a little research to try to find out why we didn't have long lines - and other parts of the state did.

What I found was that Dade County has about 13 times as many residents as we do - 2.5 million people. And only 20 early voting locations. We have 6 early voting locations for about 200k people. You can do the math. I honestly don't have a clue why this situation exists. One would think that local Supervisors of Elections (who are elected "non-partisan" but they're really partisan if you know what I mean) would try to maximize the vote in their counties to maximize the vote for their parties. On my part - I think that some/all of these Supervisors of Elections down south are appointed/elected affirmative action incompetent hacks or worse. If I still lived in Dade County (lived there for 20+ years and moved up to north Florida about 15 years ago) - I would be super angry at how the Supervisor of Elections is handling things this election. Robyn
But you give Rick Scott and the legislature a complete pass even though they cut early voting time, etc. Have you read what the former head of the Florida Republican Party, Jim Greer, had to say about the real agenda for cutting down early voting days? Maybe you should check that out. You seem to have a very negative attitude toward minorities.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:41 PM

15,621 posts, read 8,742,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Well every county in Florida has different page ballets. I had a six page ballot, they had ten page ballots in dade. Etc, etc.

Then think about it, Florida is the leading minority state for voters. That being said lines were gonna be longer anyway. Another thing is some places only had two booths

Then you have voting centers with lines and church's with no lines. I don't blame them, rather vote at a voting center.
Early voting only has a few places. In my city of 160,000 people we only had one. On voting day there is more but apparently it didn't go so well here because many people that I know waited for 5+ hours. I guess my three hours wasn't so bad.

My daughters friend voted for the first time and on Black Friday he said shopping for a TV was a walk in the park after waiting 5 hours to vote. I thought that was funny and so true.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,853,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Ponte Vedra Beach is a very upscale and wealthy community. Might have something to do with why voting was so easy for you.
My husband has spoken with some voting place volunteers at the Y in recent weeks - and they said it was a lot busier at times other than when we voted (we voted on a Sunday during a Jaguars game - apparently fans hadn't yet given up all hope). Robyn

Old 12-03-2012, 04:51 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,853,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
But you give Rick Scott and the legislature a complete pass even though they cut early voting time, etc. Have you read what the former head of the Florida Republican Party, Jim Greer, had to say about the real agenda for cutting down early voting days? Maybe you should check that out. You seem to have a very negative attitude toward minorities.
Combine a super long/confusing ballot with limited/very limited polling places open during early voting and you have a recipe for a mess. I am starting to think that early voting is perhaps a complete mistake (after all - people can still vote by absentee ballot and many do).

I actually have a very negative attitude about majorities. People who stuff their faces until they're obese. All the high school dropouts/high school graduates in Florida who are basically illiterate. The people who would rather spend money on tats than a visit to a doctor. Fat dumb and stupid is the best way to describe the majority in Florida today.

BTW - are you ready to vote for Charlie (it took me 3 times to pass the Florida Bar) Crist for Governor? No doubt in my mind he'll be running as the D in the next election. So this is your next choice for Governor:

Charlie Crist's new TV ad! - YouTube

Robyn, Esq. (I think he's a total joke in terms of being a lawyer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or