U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:16 PM

13,908 posts, read 10,867,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
What does that have to do with what I wrote? I simply asked why someone feels the need to define themselves by their sexuality. You are so much more than where you put your genitals. To define oneself by their sexuality is so sad and empty.
Not to worry - I feel quite sure that if you were to ask Tammy, she would define herself as much more than just a homosexual.

But I really have to say... your reverse logic is quite amusing. First: deny and obstruct relationship rights for homosexuals. Next: act all surprised that homosexuals are "defining" themselves publicly and engaging in activism to procure their rights. Oh my! How clever.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 PM

5,639 posts, read 5,589,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
glad you feel that way. So can we finally allow everyone to marry who they choose now?
Dad marry his daughter (as long as they are 18 and consenting)? Mom and son, mom and daughter? Brother and sister? Anyone, right?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Not to worry - I feel quite sure that if you were to ask Tammy, she would define herself as much more than just a homosexual.
But why are her sexual proclivities part of her self defining at all?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 PM

19,952 posts, read 13,559,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Being gay isn't a "sexual activity," and when you've been hated and/or discriminated against for BEING something (which is different from DOING something), it's easy for that to become an important aspect of your identity - whether you like it or not. Do you know the history and psychology behind each pride movement, from women to gays to ethnic minorities etc? If you did, you wouldn't be asking these questions.
How EXACTLY do we identify a gay person? What characteristic is it that makes one gay?

Is it talking with a lisp? Is it their faaaaaaaaaabulous shoes? Or a flair for home decorating? Maybe a gay woman's short hair? Or the tie she wears?

Again....I honestly don't care what your sexual choices are. I don't care if you're gay or straight. it's none of my business. Stop trying to bully me into validating your life choices and let's learn to live and let live, ok?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 PM

755 posts, read 630,621 times
Quote:
Who cares? Why would anyone define themselves by their sexuality?
Part of the definition of everyone is their sexuality.

Given that homosexuals appear to represent several percent of the population, and given that there have been thousands of United States Senators, it is clear than being an open homosexual has been a bar to being a Senator (else there would have been dozens of homosexuals Senators by this point in our history).

Thus, Baldwin's victory represents the breaching of an important barrier.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:20 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,752,430 times
Quote:
But why are her sexual proclivities part of her self defining at all?
Why do you feel the need to define yourself as a believer in a god?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:21 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,943,049 times
Wonderful news. And if the haters are angry about this - good!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:21 PM

43,403 posts, read 52,384,520 times
Quote:
Who cares? Why would anyone define themselves by their sexuality?
She probably doesn't. But the media did.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 PM

14,920 posts, read 11,131,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
Part of the definition of everyone is their sexuality.

Given that homosexuals appear to represent several percent of the population, and given that there have been thousands of United States Senators, it is clear than being an open homosexual has been a bar to being a Senator (else there would have been dozens of homosexuals Senators by this point in our history).

Thus, Baldwin's victory represents the breaching of an important barrier.
And a big bar. Just a few short decades ago (within the lifetime of most posters on here), if a Senate candidate were to make his or her homosexuality public, not only would that person not be elected, he or she would very likely have been hauled away either to jail or a mental institution.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
So, you are saying that you're straight then...?
I didn't say that, but since you asked, yes. But again, I do not define myself by my sexual choices. I don't think it's that important and anyone's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or