U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:34 PM

733 posts, read 528,603 times

Advertisements

I agree, I think the Republican party platform, rather than Romney, is the reason the Republicans lost. The "Angry White Vote" is drying up, finally. Romney was just the most marketable face among a lineup of cranks and extremists like Gingrich or Santorum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 01:36 PM

50,180 posts, read 26,572,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Not a Republican just saying this is no landslide and categorizing Republican voters as angry ass white dudes is akin to categorizing black voters as happy plantation slaves. Most of the Republicans I do know (my parents as an example) are not that angry. Angry people do not nominate someone like Romney in the first place. You been spending too much time on this forum. There really ain't that many angry white folks.

Republicans do need to make accomadations on immigration. They cannot win without 40% of the hispanic vote in the future.
Bullsh*t and you know it. There are plenty of them. When Republican party insiders like Lindsay Graham are saying it, it most certainly rings true. And please, don't tell me that he's some limp dishrag liberal because if you do, it just shows even more symptoms of what's ailing the right.

Sen. Lindsey Graham: Not Enough 'Angry White Guys' to Sustain GOP

This IS a landslide...sorry. It's not a Reagan/Mondale landslide, but it's an ass kicking nonetheless.

And they nominated Romney because everyone to the right of him had ZERO chance to win.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:10 PM

5,740 posts, read 5,854,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
He "appealed to only the extreme?" So, it is now "extreme" to stand on time honored American tradition? Were our founders "extreme?" Is our Constitution "extreme?"

Like a typical Democrat, you are nothing but a demagogue.

Obama won because so many people are ignorant.
No, the Wall Street republican plutocratic party is extreme. Oligarchy is extreme and anti-American! This is what you consider "time honored American tradition"??
You are sounding like the typical Fox dupe. You should pay attention to the inner workings and factions of the republican party because it is in no way "time honored traditional".

Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM

8,223 posts, read 10,752,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Well, uhm, did you see the other people they had lined up as potential candidates???
Yes. Ron Paul was better than any other.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:00 PM

8,223 posts, read 10,752,555 times
Yup,the Republicans did it to themselves because Ron Paul was the better choice period.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 AM

3,904 posts, read 6,186,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Agreed. When Romney announced his VP candidate, I told a friend that the election was already over. Had Romney been in tune with the voters at all, he'd have selected Susana Martinez as his VP. She could have delivered both the female vote and the Hispanic vote. And, if Romney insisted on a male VP, there are 3-4 qualified Hispanic candidates whom he could have chosen.

The friend's reply was to ask if Martinez could lead the country, if necessary. My response was that's not the issue. What chance does Ryan have of leading the country now? A VP candidate's job is not to be a stand-in for the President -- it's to help the Presidential candidate win the election. Without that, nothing else matters.
Martinez would make a great nominee in 2016.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 PM

15,148 posts, read 19,694,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Martinez would make a great nominee in 2016.

Maybe -- but it will be hard to beat Hilary, who has the experience necessary to run a successful campaign.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:04 PM

9,897 posts, read 6,836,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Romney himself wasn't a terrible choice, ...
I actually believed Romney would've had a chance to win but as soon as I heard Paul Ryan as his VP he signed up for a automatic lost.
I totally agree. Paul Ryan might have been the darling of the GOP but he had an 8 percent favorbility
rating with the general public. He might have told seniors already on Medicare they'd be fine, but
it was the 50 somethings they forgot about,, that might have voted for Romney if Ryan was not on the ticket. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

Romney's pick just gave Obama the election - give me a bucket
The VP slot does really matter to voters.
In the back of folks mind, there is a little birdie whispering; what if he/she becomes president?

They've made a bad VP pick two elections in a row, that I think cost them the elections.
Sometimes I actually think it's deliberate No one can be that dumb, can they

Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,186,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Maybe -- but it will be hard to beat Hilary, who has the experience necessary to run a successful campaign.
Hillary will be looked upon by many as the "over-the-hill fighter" who time has already passed. Kind of like McCain in 2008.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM

15,723 posts, read 9,616,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbidave View Post
Obama won with food stamps and entitlement folks plus people who have nothing to lose
because they have nothing.
Republican-Heavy Counties Eat Up Most Food-Stamp Growth - Bloomberg

Seventy percent of counties with the fastest-growth in food-stamp aid during the last four years voted for the Republican presidential candidate in 2008.

You were saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or