Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:27 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No, there should be no confusion....he did nothing of the sort during the first 4 years....he hand picked a few "green companies" that lost theirs asses....he laughed in your face and everyones else's face about "shovel ready jobs", and what has he done with imigration reform? Hell the spanish/mexican news hammered him on that....

Is there any more confusion? I'm really not tyring to be a smart ass...but come on....
Thanks. I was surprised that immigration reform was rarely mentioned this election cycle.
And no question he could have done better on energy independence and jobs.
But both of those will require some congressional co -operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 10:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Basically it was just a typical presidential race with a sittig president and a close one by those standards. Voeters confirmed their congresional; chopcies with some gains by republucans since chnage at mid term.Its relfects voters chocie at this time. Seems more devided than evr really which happens in a democracy with clear choices.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:56 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think Obama did exactly what FDR did, and what you should do when the economy is tanking, experiment with a variety of ideas. It is hard to know what will work when an economy is in a death spiral like we were in 2009. Demand was so low that the prospects for most new industries were poor, but what else was he to do? Some things worked. Some did not. Far better than trying nothing. The Bush tax cuts have never yielded jobs, just inequality and deficits. So trying to kindle some industries with a potentially strong future is a good idea overall. But you don't bat 1000.

But he did not run on experimentation...he ran on " I WILL" in 2008.....

He would have a lot more crediability if that is how he would have started out...

Remember, "if we don't pass this stimulas" that is not experimentation...that is telling you that if you don't pass this, your doomed....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pissed (like many) that he was re-elected, however, I am dissapointed....

We will just have to see how things go. Will the right and left work together? Maybe, maybe not?

Lets see what happens in a year....where things are, how are people doing, UE rate, things like that...

Old 11-08-2012, 01:54 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
But he did not run on experimentation...he ran on " I WILL" in 2008.....

He would have a lot more crediability if that is how he would have started out...

Remember, "if we don't pass this stimulas" that is not experimentation...that is telling you that if you don't pass this, your doomed....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pissed (like many) that he was re-elected, however, I am dissapointed....

We will just have to see how things go. Will the right and left work together? Maybe, maybe not?

Lets see what happens in a year....where things are, how are people doing, UE rate, things like that...
I appreciate your open mindedness. I share it, but guardedly. I think the GOP's 2008-2012 strategy was rejected, so hopefully they are considering a reboot.

Like you, I hope that America is successful, and if Obama and the GOP can work together, they will both benefit politically. Obviously, the elections made it clear that demographics are shifting, and the future success of the GOP will very much depend upon their ability to come over as creative and solution-oriented. Obama just wants a good legacy, and I suspect he will horse trade.

Like Christie during Hurricane Sandy, I think the best politics is, paradoxically, to focus on doing your job for the people, instead of trying to screw the other guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections