Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Goldwater? The guy who said "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

Let me remind you what the 1964 electoral map looked like. Good luck with that:
That was in 1964 we could fast forward 50 years and we could argue that the GOP needs to embrace Reaganism because he won every state except one in 1984
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
The GOP can't ditch the social/cultural conservatives as this is a key part of their coalition. They provide a broader base to their votes as well as the grass roots activists.

The Tea Party is, to me, latter-day Goldwaterites, but its interesting as it was also fairly grass roots. So if you could marry-up these two...social conservatives and small govt/low tax Tea Party movement people....

Old 11-07-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
The GOP can't ditch the social/cultural conservatives as this is a key part of their coalition. They provide a broader base to their votes as well as the grass roots activists.

The Tea Party is, to me, latter-day Goldwaterites, but its interesting as it was also fairly grass roots. So if you could marry-up these two...social conservatives and small govt/low tax Tea Party movement people....
I think the best thing to do right now would be to start embracing Spanish in their platforms, speeches, etc. Hispanic people are culturally conservative, but are put off by the nativism in the GOP.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:51 AM

^
Agree.

And they should also make a play for the Asian vote, which i think is already trending GOP?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
^
Agree.

And they should also make a play for the Asian vote, which i think is already trending GOP?
Yes. The thing that liberals tend to ignore, as minorities rise in income level, the more likely they are to vote GOP. The problem the GOP has is an image problem, not a message problem. I think it won't hurt if the GOP took a few tips from Canadian Conservative Stephen Harper. He's survived election, recall, and re-election in a country way to the left of the US

Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 AM

121 posts, read 152,840 times
Quote:
^

Haha no. Hawaii the most populous asian state in the union trends deep blue and has voted the most overwhelmingly democrat aside from D.C.

The Bay Area and Los Angeles county all have heavy asian populations too and they vote Democrat.

Republicans are quite clueless when it comes to minority voting.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:58 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That was in 1964 we could fast forward 50 years and we could argue that the GOP needs to embrace Reaganism because he won every state except one in 1984
As much as I'd love to see a return to Reagan, he wouldn't survived today in the GOP. As much as he's revered, he also raised taxes and cut deals with Tip O'Niell. The Tea Party would attack him from the right, costing him centrist and moderates.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:58 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Trick is that without the social issue/religious aspect or the radical Randian Paul Ryan types Republican's become indistinguishable from Democrats. Consider Scott Brown, who in any state outside of the northeast or the west coast regions would be considered a liberal with no chance of winning his party's nomination simply because he is moderate Republican who is actually to the left of many Democrats.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
On the contrary with regards to the GOP being strong or really truly being close. This election in and of itself were I feel more people voting against the President rather than for Romney which makes it very different than previous elections. Sure, you will always have a few during any election that will vote particularly against one person rather than for another, but this one really took the cake in that regard. It gives off a false sense of reality.

If you look at the GOP today, who do they target? Older white males, period. Everyone else they pull in is just a bonus. It's status quo thinking. Contrast that with today's young republicans, esp. college age, who although are republican, actually look at diversity as something positive. They intermingle because they want to, not because they have to and that is what is missing from the current party platform. In order for the new generation of republicans to modernize the party, the old guard has to stand down and they will not do that.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Haha no. Hawaii the most populous asian state in the union trends deep blue and has voted the most overwhelmingly democrat aside from D.C.

The Bay Area and Los Angeles county all have heavy asian populations too and they vote Democrat.
Not talking about the West Coast, but more the Asians I see here in Ohio, who tend to be more GOP leaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections