Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Chris Matthews on Obama win: 'I'm so glad we had that storm' | Fox News

With Joe Biden being kept mostly muzzled, it looks like Chris Matthews wants to fill that niche. Even if you interpret it generously, not literally, it's still a problematic remark. Matthews followed up by saying "The storm brought in possibilities for good politics..."

Is it really a good reflection on American politics that the vote hinges on a storm? BTW not much has been said about the storm with regard to the election. Before the storm, Romney had a small but fairly solid lead in the Rassmussen poll. After the storm that lead evaporated and it did appear that there was a little 'storm bump' for Obama that may have been just enough to get him over the hump.

As I posted before, if there was a storm bump, it should be very troubling, not 'good politics' at all.
Witches, politicos, and Storms, then and now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 03:36 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Talking Phony Outrage...

Well, it's Fox News.

From your link:

"No, politically I should say -- not in terms of hurting people. The storm brought in possibilities for good politics," he said.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:40 PM

143 posts, read 385,325 times
Oh, cut him break...he has already apologized for his remark and you can tell he is truly sorry...

Old 11-07-2012, 03:40 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

With Joe Biden being kept mostly muzzled, it looks like Chris Matthews wants to fill that niche. Even if you interpret it generously, not literally, it's still a problematic remark. Matthews followed up by saying "The storm brought in possibilities for good politics..."

Is it really a good reflection on American politics that the vote hinges on a storm? BTW not much has been said about the storm with regard to the election. Before the storm, Romney had a small but fairly solid lead in the Rassmussen poll. After the storm that lead evaporated and it did appear that there was a little 'storm bump' for Obama that may have been just enough to get him over the hump.

As I posted before, if there was a storm bump, it should be very troubling, not 'good politics' at all.
I HEARD that!

The remark came just as MSNBC was shutting down election coverage, at 3 AM local time. We have to cut Mathews a little slack- he'd been on the air for 18 straight hours. But still, what a dumbass!

Old 11-07-2012, 03:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
To utter the words "I'm so glad we had that storm" is at least as dumb as the utterance of "legitimate rape."

But even if you re-intrepret it to what he probably had in mind, it's a problem. What does it say about the electorate when the occurence of a bad stom shifts the vote? It says to me that the electorate is deep into some magical thinking.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:50 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
What an absolutely idiotic thing to say.
I tried watching MSNBC for about 15 minutes last night and had to switch to CNN because they're commentators are so ridiculously biased. They're working very hard to become a FOX clone; this is not a good thing.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:50 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:

That was a very dumb thing for Matthews to say.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:51 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
With Joe Biden being kept mostly muzzled...
Aren't you one of the 'fellow travelers' who whined about Biden as he made his campaign speeches? I think yoiu are/were. Biden's been out front, and center. It's Paul Ryan who ran for cover.

Quote:
Is it really a good reflection on American politics that the vote hinges on a storm?
What the storm provided was the opportunity for the nation to see how a true leader responds and behaves in a time of crisis. And who were those singing the President's praises loudest? Governor Christie. Mayor Bloomberg. Two prominent Republicans. That's what Matthews is referring to.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,327 times
And I'm so glad conservatives have that storm, too!

Blaming their loss on a hurricane, instead of actually learning something from their long list of screw-ups, is just what I want to hear...

Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 PM

732 posts, read 1,045,234 times
Matthews should be fired. Period.

To politicize a storm, a natural disaster mind you, not anything political related, that killed dozens of people, injured countless others, destroyed homes, businesses and lives and completely shut down so many pockets of the east coast, is inexcusable.

I don't give a rat's ass if he'd been on-air for 3 weeks straight. Look at the emergency workers trying to restore order in that area for so long now. Think they've had much sleep? Think they're tired? They have to do their jobs regardless of how exhausted they are and they have to do it competently. Should Matthews be excused because he was "tired"?

Why shouldn't this be his "Imus" moment? Imus was fired because he said "nappy headed hoes." Matthews has been a joke for a long time now. Even the liberals I know are embarrassed by him. Time to put him out to pasture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections