Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times

Advertisements

The youth vote and gay marriage was a huge factor but another factor is that Romney was simply the "not Obama" candidate. Obama supporters were energized in support of their candidate, while Romney supporters were simply voting for the lesser of two evils. Bush was the last Republican to run that voters were excited about and he won. If the GOP wants to win in 2016, a good place to start is nominating someone the base is enthusiastic about and also can appeal to the center.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The youth vote and gay marriage was a huge factor but another factor is that Romney was simply the "not Obama" candidate. Obama supporters were energized in support of their candidate, while Romney supporters were simply voting for the lesser of two evils. Bush was the last Republican to run that voters were excited about and he won. If the GOP wants to win in 2016, a good place to start is nominating someone the base is enthusiastic about and also can appeal to the center.
The Republican partyy has no one but themselves to blame. They allowed radicals to infiltrate and hijack the party. None of the leaders of the party stood up to these nuts and their candidiate showed no backbone and never even once refuted anything they said. In fact, Romney chose one of these ideological idiots to share the ticket with him. They lost and they got what they deserved. Even McCain stood up to woman that was accusing Obama of being a Muslim terrorist. Romney embraced the birthers...nuff said.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
People were "excited" about Bush? Everything is relative I guess.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:20 PM

266 posts, read 402,634 times
Quote:
I disagree. Many people were very energized and excited by Romney. For me it wasn't a case of "not Obama" or "lesser of two evils," I do not support Obama, but I genuinely had faith in Romney. Complete confidence. It's a shame we won't get to see what he's capable of. Now in 2008, I would've concerned McCain the lesser of two evils in the sense that he didn't energize me. But he was the better choice because Obama had no experience/nothing to show. Oh, whattaya know. He's still got nothing to show. Some things never change

Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 PM

774 posts, read 2,600,871 times
The main reason Romney lost was this... He is a self centered, pompous Ass that can't see beyond his own bank account. He's a mulit-millionarie that has no grasp on reality.

He can't speak to middle income America or understand what the average family is facing. With earning in the 13 million dollar range, One yrs interest on his yearly income is more than most families will make in 10 yrs. This is not a man that is in anyway connected with the realities of middle income people. He stands in front of the cameras telling the world how much he cares and will fight for the average family. Then gets in a room full of his millionaire friends and we get to hear the truth..

He doesn't care about you, me or anyone else that isn't part of his millionaire boys club.. Be thankful we dodged the bullet...

I have done very well for myself over the past few yrs and I work with some very wealthy people that would benefit heavily from tax cuts for the rich and even they could see how disconnected this guy is and wouldn't vote for him..

Maybe Obama isn't the best choice but he's a hell of a lot better than the other option.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
People were "excited" about Bush? Everything is relative I guess.
In 2000 conservatives were very excited about Bush. In 2004 they weren't as much but they were a lot more energized than in 2008 and 2012.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I think you are right: what we really need is a personality that is appealing to many. I hate to think people vote this way, but they do and I probably do as well. yes, the youth makes some difference, but Obama got a lot snaller % of the youth vote this time and I am willing to bet,a lot fewer youth voted. As for social issues, like gay rights, Republicans do need to example their views without selling their principles..We have to stay true to our beliefs and not spin to the middle. That would be a disaster. Gay rights though must be addressed. I don't totally agree about the center though. If we do go too far, we might as well have just 1 big party. I think we have to find a way to attract more minorities and probably young women. I can think of several young Republicans that could energize the party, but it is too soon to get to excited: first on my mind is: Rubio and Suzanna Martinez for starters. More than anything we have to get over this: it is so and so turn. We did it with Bush 1 which worked; we did it with Dole, McCain and then Romney. Since when is the nominee should be in line....??

Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
The main reason Romney lost was this... He is a self centered, pompous Ass that can't see beyond his own bank account. He's a mulit-millionarie that has no grasp on reality.

He can't speak to middle income America or understand what the average family is facing. With earning in the 13 million dollar range, One yrs interest on his yearly income is more than most families will make in 10 yrs. This is not a man that is in anyway connected with the realities of middle income people. He stands in front of the cameras telling the world how much he cares and will fight for the average family. Then gets in a room full of his millionaire friends and we get to hear the truth..

He doesn't care about you, me or anyone else that isn't part of his millionaire boys club.. Be thankful we dodged the bullet...

I have done very well for myself over the past few yrs and I work with some very wealthy people that would benefit heavily from tax cuts for the rich and even they could see how disconnected this guy is and wouldn't vote for him..

Maybe Obama isn't the best choice but he's a hell of a lot better than the other option.

Where is the data that Obama is beneficial for the country?

Are jobs being created? Is the deficit going down? Have entitlements been reformed (or even a legitimate proposal been mad)? Was he honest regarding the Benghazi attack? How have his increased regulations benefited the economy? How will his tax hikes (direct and indirect, as in through Obamacare) help the economy? Is the currency strengthening? Are interest rates up? Has the housing market strengthened?

I'd be curious to hear the case as to how bigger government, more regulations, higher taxes, Obamacare, cap-and-trade, more powerful unions and other policies that Obama supports are good for the country.

There's no doubt that the country will be worse off 4 years from now than it is today, but people won't make the link between Obama's policy and that decline. They haven't linked the decline of California to these policies, as the (D) party wins by bigger and bigger margins the further and further the state declines.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 PM

151 posts, read 183,104 times
Quote:
Chris Christie will win if he decides to run

Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Where is the data that Obama is beneficial for the country?

Are jobs being created? Is the deficit going down? Have entitlements been reformed (or even a legitimate proposal been mad)? Was he honest regarding the Benghazi attack? How have his increased regulations benefited the economy? How will his tax hikes (direct and indirect, as in through Obamacare) help the economy? Is the currency strengthening? Are interest rates up? Has the housing market strengthened?

I'd be curious to hear the case as to how bigger government, more regulations, higher taxes, Obamacare, cap-and-trade, more powerful unions and other policies that Obama supports are good for the country.

There's no doubt that the country will be worse off 4 years from now than it is today, but people won't make the link between Obama's policy and that decline. They haven't linked the decline of California to these policies, as the (D) party wins by bigger and bigger margins the further and further the state declines.

I dunno. Maybe there's a chart or something on the internets.

Still looking

Guess you're right. Man, this dude sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections