Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 PM

121 posts, read 152,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Kat View Post
What country have you been living in? The Democrats certainly didn't "hope for a successful administration that will keep American strong" when Bush was elected. Yes, there has always been political bickering, but the eight years when Bush was in office was the beginning of the end of civility. That's the rudest and nastiest I've ever seen people behave — before or since. Why didn't the liberals come together for the greater good?
Most people were protesting the war which later became nearly a unanimous call to end it from both sides of the political spectrum

..where is the greater good in sending thousands of young people to their deaths over no good reason?

W.'s presidency was a serious disaster and actually resulted in Americans dying by the thousands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamaniac View Post
That's such a cop out. If you're going to come in here and point fingers at least link it.

Your link comes up with a big page not found.

I don't know why you can't get it but I p[osted some of what it said. I will try again and post some other sites that say the same and more.» Obama Supporters Continue Threats To Riot, Assassinate Romney Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I don't know why you can't get it but I p[osted some of what it said. I will try again and post some other sites that say the same and more.» Obama Supporters Continue Threats To Riot, Assassinate Romney Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
Ok I read some of that and it's laughable. The best you could come up with is a second hand account from a conservative propaganda rag trying to drum up fear and paranoia?

Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 PM

KUHNER: Obama backers threaten postelection violence - Washington Times

More violence threatened by the left. And I am standing by for you to tell me how the Washington Times stinks also.

Last edited by Scotty011; 11-09-2012 at 12:47 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
The past couple of decades have shown us that the animosity in politics, the polarization and vitriol is largely Republicans' doing. Think about it- during the Reagan/Bush and Bush/Quayle years, Democrats in Congress were willing to work with a Republican president to get things done. Political differences were present, but there was not much personal animosity. Once Clinton was elected and tried to pass health care reform as his first initiative, he got the same response from Republicans as Obama got this time around- STONEWALL. But Newt Gingrich WAS willing to work with Clinton to get some things done, although that was after he shut down the government trying to stonewall Clinton and Americans blamed him for it, not Clinton. Then as Americans began to like Clinton more and more, Congressional Republicans began to hate him, so much so that when the Monica Lewinski scandal happened, Republicans tried their BEST to use it to push Clinton out of office.

When George W. Bush got into office, Democrats were angry at him over Florida 2000, but Congressional Democrats nonetheless showed willingness to work with him, heck they even voted for his Iraq War on no real evidence. They worked with him on the prescription drug initiative. Most everybody was glad to see Bush go, but he DID have a Congress that was willing to work with him. Obama gets into office and then it's outright ADMITTED publicly that the primary goal is to make him a 1 term president, and he gets stonewalled at every turn by Congressional Republicans, led by the Tea Party caucus. At the same time you had various Republicans making it personal- with the whole birther thing, and even with false insinuations about Muslim ties, again with the Tea Party caucus having their hands all up in the middle of that.

So it's clear that although Democratic congresses have shown willingness to work with Republican presidents, for some reason when a Democrat is in the Oval Office, Republicans become the nastiest, most obstructionist, angered politicians that they can, and especially with this latest Tea Party wing of the Republican Party. They lose their patriotism and basically say America be dmd, I'm NOT working with a Democratic president. That is why a decent Speaker Boehner has had the hardest job probably EVER in the history of Speakers of the House of Representatives, and why Republican Senator Olympia Snowe of Maine up and quit her senate seat after years of proving she could work across the aisle to get things done. It's why a Senator McCain all of a sudden has to abandon his past reasonableness and take on hard right positions, and why a moderate Mitt from Massachusetts is forced to become severely conservative in a 2012 Republican Primary race. And that's why America almost defaulted on its debt obligations for the first time in history. The Republican Right and the Tea Party portion of it have a patriotism which says "MY way for America or NO way for America."

Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,985,263 times
I think the right's obstructionism in the government is absolutely un-American. And those who support them are un-American. I think it's un-American to refuse a telephone call from your president, regardless of the time of day. I think that signing the tax pledge was un-American because they were giving their allegiance to someone or something that was not their country and not their constituents. I think it was un-American to reelect anyone who signed that pledge. And obviously all the talk about violence talk is un-American.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:40 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
How ridiculous? This is flat out ignorance. Every damn Republican I know wants this country to be the country of success and well being. We want it to be a prosperous country. Most of the Republicans seem to be more patriotic than Democrats. I remember well when Democrats were accusing Republicans of being too patriotic. I think Democrats are less patriotic than Republicans. If this country fails we as Republicans fail also, and I sure as hell do not want to fail and lose my money and I don't know anyone else that wants that either. So your post is pure ignorance.

We want someone that can put this country back on track and I don't think your man Obama is capable of doing that. We tried to put someone in there that we thought would be able to improve this country. We lost and we have to move onward. We are stuck with what we have so I hope he will do something this time.
So - this is why we have all the threads about Texas becoming a separate state; crying about not donating money to the United Way; threats to fire all employees, and on and on and on . . . ?

Your fellow Repubs must not have the level head that you do. So I am more than glad to hear that you want OUR country to succeed.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamaniac View Post
Ok I read some of that and it's laughable. The best you could come up with is a second hand account from a conservative propaganda rag trying to drum up fear and paranoia?

Just as I suspected you will deny everything and I know you liberals can't face the facts but read on I have more from other sources which I suspect you will try and deny also. Typical liberal tactic. It is plain facts but deny if you want. You refuse to face reality,

Old 11-09-2012, 12:42 PM

I think one of the reasons why a lot of the right wing wouldn't mind seeing America burn if they don't get their way is because a lot of right wing extremists are separatists. They don't view the sovereign U.S.A. or its people as "their" people. They see minorities as invading hordes, they see liberals as the enemy, and basically they have walled themselves off so much they consider themselves to be the only true Americans. That's why a lot of them are quick to threaten violence and assassination too. Normal people in a civilized society don't threaten to murder their own citizens over politics. It's something that's only done when people have completely "otherized" the other group that they are effectively turning them into enemies.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Personally speaking if all the far right wing crazies wanted to all pack off and go to Mississippi and wall themselves off and create their own fundamentalist kingdom like Saudi Arabia that would be fine with me. They would be destitute within a generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections