Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Here in Texas I saw no national ads from either side on TV.
That's because no candidate would waste their money on Texas. The state is reliably red, and it will be another 30 years at least before anyone would consider TX to be a battleground state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 09:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
That's because no candidate would waste their money on Texas. The state is reliably red, and it will be another 30 years at least before anyone would consider TX to be a battleground state.
When TX has a governor who wears boots like this in the New Millennium, any Democrat with the brain the size of a dinosaur would keep his or her campaigning outlays in TX to a minimum. Well said.

http://saraforamerica.files.wordpres...6/govperry.jpg

Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I disagree. The Hispanic vote is going to be the straw that breaks the elephant's back in every election for the next 30 years. It would take a lot of effort, but if someone were willing to organize a strong ground game in Nueces, Hidalgo, Cameron, Starr and Webb counties in addition to the El Paso area, Texas would flip blue right quick.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Pretty much, had this one ex relative, (through marriage), who really helped me from a divorce and vice versa and we both worked for (at different times though) for the same company in the late 80's, early 90's. Reconnected on FB, but she unfriended me this spring, turned out, (even though she said, "you're a good guy, I'm just cleaning up my FB page") that it was politically motivated.
So I was going to offer FB friendship again after the election was over. On her page is stuff that is very conservative. She accepted it. Not even 24 hours later, she got in a hissy fit over a link I shared showing how the far right needs to chill out in 2016, if they want the GOP to win and unfriended me again. Republican 1st, American 2nd? Needless to say, even though she's a good looking woman, I just blocked her after that, talk about a sore loser.
Went with the FB angle, since the OP, addressed that also.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:41 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
I was shocked I only lost 7 friends on Facebook. Boy, were there some heated threads. I think the longest one on my page was around 450 posts.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I've noticed that the right-wing FB "friends" always seem to be the ones who push their agenda onto others, while the left wing ones are not as numerous and seem to be more "live and let live" types or don't bring up politics at all. As I predicted, when I responded to their rabid right wing (bordering on racist) diatribes, they quickly "de-friended" me. White folk repubs are so predictable.
Funny, I noticed the direct opposite.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I've noticed that the right-wing FB "friends" always seem to be the ones who push their agenda onto others, while the left wing ones are not as numerous and seem to be more "live and let live" types or don't bring up politics at all. As I predicted, when I responded to their rabid right wing (bordering on racist) diatribes, they quickly "de-friended" me. White folk repubs are so predictable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I actually had both, that is, friends who were rabidly for Romney, including one Mormon, and friends who were rabidly for Obama. I tried to stay out of it.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Same here. It was so bad that I unfriended two people. Now they are e-mailing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post

Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I actually had both, that is, friends who were rabidly for Romney, including one Mormon, and friends who were rabidly for Obama. I tried to stay out of it.
I tried too. But I grew up in the very deep South and have friends from there. After two years of logging on to all their negativity regarding President Obama - PLUS all the photos and racial slurs ~ I had had enough. Two years of in-your-face-I-hate Obama negativity every time I looked at FB. All I'm really on there for is some light conversation and perhaps looking at photos of your kids/dogs/vacation/whatever.

I tried to keep my posts positive and on my page alone. But about two months leading up to the election, I decided to be silent no longer.

Needless to say - I lost some friends in the red states!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Nop. I think the firstwas when JFK supporters started the origianl dirty tricks squad which Nixon stole in the next elction he ran in.But havig seen old tapes and even speeches its clear that in poast elctions may really terrible accusation where made. But i mnay apst times no one but the audience spoken to evr heard the speech made to them.Lookig at time when Tamney hall and other greoups ran cities and even openiog bought votes ;didn't allow someoff to vote etcd ;it was much worse.The political amchines ran many cities and even the mob was said to have been used at Joseph Keenedy;s request in the 1960 election.You know the same people who JFK used to trying to murder Castro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections