U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,628 posts, read 79,964,043 times
Reputation: 39002

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Actually, that is precisely what you did.

Here's what you said:



Accusing someone of saying something that they believe is not true is accusing them of lying.

You owe somebody an apology.
No, I said, I don't think you really believe thus and so, it is very different from calling someone a liar. We have all heard this said, time and time again, in frustration: thinking, no one could really believe thus and so, it isn't saying someone is lying, it is saying seriously: I can't believe you are saying this or really believe this. I never meant to call anyone a liar... If it was taken that way, I apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,839 posts, read 10,724,501 times
Reputation: 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am certainly not saying you are lying, I don't think I have ever called anyone on here a liar and I hope I never do. I have said, some peoples facts are wrong, like Hillary and a history on DVT. I have often made the comments that facts and opinions are not the same thing, but I am not saying you or anyone is a liar.

As for NBC and MSNBC aren't they part of the same company or am I wrong about that. BTW, Megan McCain is not a conservative, in fact she is very liberal on most issues. You call Letterman a comedy show, I think that is a matter of opinion, but the fact remains he is openly very liberal and the show leans left. When he does have a conservative guest, which he does, he loves to take them apart. The view is not a talk show, as most would think of when they think of a talk show: that would be like calling O'Reilly a talk show. And everyone gal on the View are far to the left now that Hasselbeck (spelling) has left.

Now. let see who are regular contributors on Fox? Juan Williams, Bob Beckel, Lis W, Geraldo, who does happen to be a registered Republican but he is very liberal: Joe Trippy, Chris Wallace (who is not a lib but is a registered Democrat) and the gal who is regularly on Fox Sunday as part of the panel for starters. Darn I can't remember her name.

You mention Chuck Todd, he is anything but a Republican or a conservative. Yes, S.E. Cupp is a Republican, not a conservative but she certainly is a Republican. Castellones is a Republican as well.

No, I certainly do not think everyone to the left of me is a leftist. I can think of many I do not think are leftist, many of regular posters to City Data. the are Democrats, are left of me in there thinking but they are also open minded and can sometimes see the other side of issues. They are not leftist. There is a huge difference between being a Democrat and a leftist.

Oh, I think I do remember her name: it is Kirston Powers I think.
1. When you say that someone does not believe what they are saying, you are calling them a liar.

2. FOX NEWS is heavily conservative, FOX Broadcasting Company is overly liberal,and they are owned by the same company (News Corp)

3. As i said we were talking about news shows and political commentary, David Letterman and the View are neither.

4. None of the people you named on FOX are liberals. If that is your idea of Liberal then that may be the reasons you mislabel other Stations as Liberal, because i would 100% agree that they are all to the left of Juan Williams and Bob Beckel.

Dear God, i flipped to FOX News one day and saw Bob Beckel and when he was ask to give a rebuttal and all he did was mumble some BS generic liberal response, that man is a show piece there to simply create the allusion of actual partisan debate.

Chris Wallace said he was only a Democrat because he lived in Washington D.C., he describes himself as a conservative as well as having worked on Republican party politics before being on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,839 posts, read 10,724,501 times
Reputation: 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, I said, I don't think you really believe thus and so, it is very different from calling someone a liar. We have all heard this said, time and time again, in frustration: thinking, no one could really believe thus and so, it isn't saying someone is lying, it is saying seriously: I can't believe you are saying this or really believe this. I never meant to call anyone a liar... If it was taken that way, I apologize.
LOL, it was taken that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,628 posts, read 79,964,043 times
Reputation: 39002
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1. When you say that someone does not believe what they are saying, you are calling them a liar.

2. FOX NEWS is heavily conservative, FOX Broadcasting Company is overly liberal,and they are owned by the same company (News Corp)

3. As i said we were talking about news shows and political commentary, David Letterman and the View are neither.

4. None of the people you named on FOX are liberals. If that is your idea of Liberal then that may be the reasons you mislabel other Stations as Liberal, because i would 100% agree that they are all to the left of Juan Williams and Bob Beckel.

Dear God, i flipped to FOX News one day and saw Bob Beckel and when he was ask to give a rebuttal and all he did was mumble some BS generic liberal response, that man is a show piece there to simply create the allusion of actual partisan debate.

Chris Wallace said he was only a Democrat because he lived in Washington D.C., he describes himself as a conservative as well as having worked on Republican party politics before being on TV.
You are right about Chris and I think, at one time, Geraldo made a similar statement about being a Republican. I totally disagree with you about Bob Beckel. I watch the 5 daily, it is one of the few programs I admit to rarely missing. H is very left, even he says he is. I have seen him on O'Reilly a few times, same story. Yes, on rare occasions, he will take a more moderate stand, but he is certainly left in most peoples minds. I am amazed you would not think Juan is liberal, but that is your opinion and you have every right to it. We could discuss this forever and never agree. you think people to the right think everyone, even moderates are liberal and people who are left, think moderates are conservatives. I think I will just let this drop.

As for calling you a liar, I don't agree with you about this, but I also have apologized. I don't know what more you would expect me to do? I have even agreed with you from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 AM
 
Location: North America
18,504 posts, read 11,734,683 times
Reputation: 7701
IMHO, if Chris Christie runs, then it will be whole different ballgame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 11:51 AM
 
1,967 posts, read 1,534,586 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
IMHO, if Chris Christie runs, then it will be whole different ballgame.
Maybe.


People said the same thing about Romney (the moderate governor). Then he had to swing as far right as possible to appease the evangelicals and lost any credibility he had with the center.


It will be Hillary up against some manufactured Reagan clone like Paul Ryan or Ted Cruz, theyll embarass themselves on the national stage, people will realize their budgets and economic solutions are a sham, theyll marginalize latinos, women, and gays on social issues, and people will once again favor the party of (relative) reason; Hillary '16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,839 posts, read 10,724,501 times
Reputation: 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are right about Chris and I think, at one time, Geraldo made a similar statement about being a Republican. I totally disagree with you about Bob Beckel. I watch the 5 daily, it is one of the few programs I admit to rarely missing. H is very left, even he says he is. I have seen him on O'Reilly a few times, same story. Yes, on rare occasions, he will take a more moderate stand, but he is certainly left in most peoples minds. I am amazed you would not think Juan is liberal, but that is your opinion and you have every right to it. We could discuss this forever and never agree. you think people to the right think everyone, even moderates are liberal and people who are left, think moderates are conservatives. I think I will just let this drop.

As for calling you a liar, I don't agree with you about this, but I also have apologized. I don't know what more you would expect me to do? I have even agreed with you from time to time.
Juan Williams is pretty much explained in the rest of the comment below this, but just to clarify. Every time i see him, it seems he is agreeing with the right wing on FOX, there is nothing wrong with doing that, but if you are doing it that much you are not liberal.

im not saying Beckel isnt liberal( i may have said none of them were liberal but i thought my specific response on Beckel cleared that up), im saying he cant complete a sentence for me to know. He either mumbles, gets cut off or actually sides with the republicans on the panel. I dont watch the 5, i didnt even know that this was the program he was on, i just occasionally flip to FOX and when he is on, he looks like a moron.

I guess that is my bigger argument against FOX, the "liberals" they have on all tend to side with them or just get cut off when they disagree, or sound just plain stupid. it is like they purposfully pick the weakest of the weak to have on. Atleast the conservatives on MSNBC get to talk, S.E. Cupp ranted for 30 minutes on The Cycle one day,LOL.

I dont think moderates are conservatives; Jon Huntsman, Buddy Roemer, Gary Johnson( more conservative than moderate, but for the sake of argument), Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, Charlie Crist, George W. Bush, Richard Lugar, Lisa Murkowski, Mark Kirk. These are moderates in my opinion.

i also wasnt trying to badger you about the who liar thing, I was just saying that i did take it that way.

Last edited by dsjj251; 07-15-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 09:57 PM
 
125 posts, read 110,176 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It's because the GOP is split right now and the past two cycles have had trouble finding a candidate to unite the party like Bush did in 2000. There is usually a religious conservative, a big money Republican, and a RINO. The RINO, though not supported by the majority of Republicans usually ends up winning by default.

McCain made a huge gaffe in picking Palin. If anybody remembers, Obama wasn't a sure thing in the summer of 2008 (I watched it closely back then). McCain was actually up in the polls for a short time. After Palin was exposed, the McCain campaign was pretty much done.
Actually, the financial free-fall in September cooked McCain. It didn't have to, but his alarmist "I'm suspending my campaign because we've got to deal with this thing now!" followed a day later by "Um... er... changed my mind, I'm not really suspending my campaign..." is what really started McCain's demise. He doubled-down on it by demanding a meeting about the financial collapse with the White House and Senator Obama, and when the meeting was held it was Obama who asked all the relevant questions and offered input, while McCain stayed mostly silent - and this was verified by other Republicans in the meeting.

So, McCain comes off as unhinged and definitely not cool under pressure, allowing Obama to paint a stark contrast in comparison. Then McCain arranges a meeting in the media spotlight, and completely blows the opportunity while allowing Obama to shine.

And he kept saying things like "Economics is not my strong suit" and "The fundamentals of the economy are strong".

Palin was a disaster and an embarrassment, but McCain engineered his loss without her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,010 posts, read 32,549,968 times
Reputation: 50087
Has anyone saved the comments every well-known lefty made about her when they threw their support to Obama in 2008 or has all of that been scrubbed from the Internet? The negative ad could be an all-Democrat one.

I don't get how you could vote for someone who only ran one thing in her life and was so incompetent at it that people died who didn't have to die and then tried to cover it up. She's no Bill Clinton. Being married to him doesn't rub off on her. She's mean and nasty and way left of him and she has her own share of scandals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 AM
 
10,115 posts, read 6,772,558 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What are you even talking about? I do not have to take a stat class and I am not sure what that has to do with 1-the % Obama won by in 2012 and 2-the candidate the GOP put up.
Although he had 51% of the popular vote, Obama beat Romney by 4%, which is not an insignificant win. The last president to do better than Obama with percent of the popular vote was George HW Bush in 1988.

Presidential Election Popular Votes from 1940 to 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top