U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-19-2013, 11:30 AM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,583 posts, read 11,803,626 times
Reputation: 15402

Advertisements

I find myself always reminding people that 2016 - in the world of US politics - is lightyears away. It is so far in the future I dare not even guess who the Democratic or Republican candidates will be. Let's see wat happens in the 2014 midterm elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:48 PM
 
6,420 posts, read 9,135,516 times
Reputation: 3021
Christie and Huntsman are the 2 most liked republicans currently but there is no way in hell either would get the nomination they are not even close enough to the far right

I think it will be Hillary vs Rubio I really do not want Hillary to run
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,372 posts, read 8,908,754 times
Reputation: 4971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I find myself always reminding people that 2016 - in the world of US politics - is lightyears away. It is so far in the future I dare not even guess who the Democratic or Republican candidates will be. Let's see wat happens in the 2014 midterm elections.

Mid terms mean nothing IMO when it comes to Presidential elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 15,977,738 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Joe View Post
I agree with that. At this point, the job is hers if she wants it. My guessing is that her running mate may be Rep Louis Gutierrez (D ILL).
I sure hope not. She will lose my vote for sure. That congresshole cares more about illegals than tax-paying american citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,478 posts, read 79,700,409 times
Reputation: 38803
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Christie and Huntsman are the 2 most liked republicans currently but there is no way in hell either would get the nomination they are not even close enough to the far right

I think it will be Hillary vs Rubio I really do not want Hillary to run
I think it is too early to predict, but I am not convinced Rubio will be the pick. he might has peeked to soon and is wide open for criticism. I do like him and would love to see him prevail. I also happen to like a lot of what Christie stands for, but I just think he has some problems. As for Hunstsman, never, never, never, he is a RINO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,478 posts, read 79,700,409 times
Reputation: 38803
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I sure hope not. She will lose my vote for sure. That congresshole cares more about illegals than tax-paying american citizens.
anyone that would even wager a guess about a vp candidate right now is living in dream world. No one can ever figure out the choice for VP, certainly not 3 plus years in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 13,621,618 times
Reputation: 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
anyone that would even wager a guess about a vp candidate right now is living in dream world. No one can ever figure out the choice for VP, certainly not 3 plus years in advance.
This is true. I imagine that in July 2005, not one person in a million would have successfully predicted Biden-Palin for 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,478 posts, read 79,700,409 times
Reputation: 38803
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This is true. I imagine that in July 2005, not one person in a million would have successfully predicted Biden-Palin for 2008.
I am very sure or almost very you are right. Of course for those of us who are ancient, we remember when the VP was picked behind close doors the last day of the convention and usually was a name we had hardly ever heard. With 24/7 coverage those days are long over. I think Carter was one of the first that actually interviewed, openly candidates and we all knew who he was considering. Reagan did not pick Bush until after he had the nomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,547 posts, read 1,786,036 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Although he had 51% of the popular vote, Obama beat Romney by 4%, which is not an insignificant win. The last president to do better than Obama with percent of the popular vote was George HW Bush in 1988.

Presidential Election Popular Votes from 1940 to 2012
And lets not forget the popular vote is not super significant. It is very well possible a candidate could get 52 percent of the popular vote but still not get the 270EV needed to win, and currently the electoral college strongly favors the Dems. In this past election Romney could of won Ohio, Florida and Virginia and still would of lost the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,547 posts, read 1,786,036 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think it is too early to predict, but I am not convinced Rubio will be the pick. he might has peeked to soon and is wide open for criticism. I do like him and would love to see him prevail. I also happen to like a lot of what Christie stands for, but I just think he has some problems. As for Hunstsman, never, never, never, he is a RINO.
Why exactly would you consider differences in the views of Huntsman versus Christie? They are pretty much the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top