U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 05:54 AM

69,367 posts, read 79,558,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Why exactly would you consider differences in the views of Huntsman versus Christie? They are pretty much the same.
It depends on the issue how much alike the two are: Christie is liberal or should we say moderate on some issues, like Amnesty and I don't care for his stand on gun control. He is pro life except in certain circumstances I do like that. He is for raising the age on SS which is a must...One of the few places he is not conservative might be on illegal immigration. As for Huntsman, it is hard to say what he believes as he has a way of not really making his views clear. That might be what is hurting his image. Christie is real, Huntsman appears not to be...

Oh, and for anyone who sees Huntsman as just like Romney, except for their religion I can't understand why. This is just my opinion.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 AM

2,546 posts, read 1,780,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It depends on the issue how much alike the two are: Christie is liberal or should we say moderate on some issues, like Amnesty and I don't care for his stand on gun control. He is pro life except in certain circumstances I do like that. He is for raising the age on SS which is a must...One of the few places he is not conservative might be on illegal immigration. As for Huntsman, it is hard to say what he believes as he has a way of not really making his views clear. That might be what is hurting his image. Christie is real, Huntsman appears not to be...

Oh, and for anyone who sees Huntsman as just like Romney, except for their religion I can't understand why. This is just my opinion.

Nita
Just so you know on the abortion issue, during Christie's first campaign he said something to the effect;
"I am personally pro life but respect the opinion of the opposite side". That to me sounded as if he was saying the abortion issue does not belong in government. I do not see Huntsman anything like Romney. Romney is like a slick sleazy used car salesmen that would say anything for a vote. Romney was all over the place. But Christie and Huntsman pretty much share the same views.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 PM

69,367 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Quote:
Just so you know on the abortion issue, during Christie's first campaign he said something to the effect;
"I am personally pro life but respect the opinion of the opposite side". That to me sounded as if he was saying the abortion issue does not belong in government. I do not see Huntsman anything like Romney. Romney is like a slick sleazy used car salesmen that would say anything for a vote. Romney was all over the place. But Christie and Huntsman pretty much share the same views.
and I agree with Chirsti's view: I am pro life personally, but I also accept Roe versus Wade. I still do not happen to agree that the two men are much alike. BTW, I hope you didn't think I was saying Romney and Huntsman were alike, I think I made it very clear, I do not think they are. I will add, I have done a little research and I did watch most of the debates, I still say it is hard to know exactly where Huntsman stand on some issues. He hasn't jumped all over the place, but he hasn't made his views too easy to understand. I just don't see him going far in a Pres campaign.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:05 PM

12,263 posts, read 9,000,993 times
Interesting poll - "Hillary Clinton and Chris Christie are dead even in the key battleground state of Iowa in a hypothetical 2016 presidential showdown, according to a new poll."

I seriously doubt Hillary is unbeatable.

Iowa poll: Who wins a Clinton-Christie 2016 showdown? CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Old 07-22-2013, 03:45 PM

2,546 posts, read 1,780,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I agree with Chirsti's view: I am pro life personally, but I also accept Roe versus Wade. I still do not happen to agree that the two men are much alike. BTW, I hope you didn't think I was saying Romney and Huntsman were alike, I think I made it very clear, I do not think they are. I will add, I have done a little research and I did watch most of the debates, I still say it is hard to know exactly where Huntsman stand on some issues. He hasn't jumped all over the place, but he hasn't made his views too easy to understand. I just don't see him going far in a Pres campaign.
Oh, I agree Hunstman won't go far in the race, but neither will Christie. Christie will simply be another Giuliani. If you remember in 07 before the primary season started Giuliani was way ahead in the polls for the nomination. After Iowa things changed quick for Rudy.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:43 PM

298 posts, read 303,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Interesting poll - "Hillary Clinton and Chris Christie are dead even in the key battleground state of Iowa in a hypothetical 2016 presidential showdown, according to a new poll."

Iowa poll: Who wins a Clinton-Christie 2016 showdown? CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
Seeing that Paul tends to win a lot of straw polls there, I'd say that's a pretty terrible bellwether.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:12 PM

10,791 posts, read 6,910,634 times
Quote:

Is Hillary unbeatable? No, but she's our strongest candidate for a general election and she will win the nomination easily if she runs. The republicans who have a better shot at beating Hillary will have a hard time winning a GOP primary.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 PM

10,791 posts, read 6,910,634 times
Quote:
Oh, I agree Hunstman won't go far in the race, but neither will Christie. Christie will simply be another Giuliani. If you remember in 07 before the primary season started Giuliani was way ahead in the polls for the nomination. After Iowa things changed quick for Rudy.
Christie is a better politician than Giuliani.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 PM

12,263 posts, read 9,000,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Is Hillary unbeatable? No, but she's our strongest candidate for a general election and she will win the nomination easily if she runs. The republicans who have a better shot at beating Hillary will have a hard time winning a GOP primary.
Not too long ago I would have agreed with you. Much to some of my fellow Republican buddies consternation I liked Hillary, but I've since changed my mind. I know a lot of you think her tenure as Secretary of State just enhances her qualifications for a presidential nod, I think it's weakened her. Benghazi was a mess. One of her ambassadors was killed, and she shamefully let Susan Rice go out and lie on national television.

Obama we expect that of, but Hillary? She should have been out there kicking a$$, but during an election cycle she hid behind Rice as surely as Obama did. For that alone she doesn't deserve the nod to run for president, but besides that, what has she done as SoS that's so special? Even The NYT and The New Yorker wonder about that.

Hillary Clinton's Tough Words Didn't Lead to Results - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

Hillary Was a Great Ambassador, Not a Great Secretary of State : The New Yorker

I suspect if Hillary does choose to run, she will find it much harder going than many of you predict.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:44 AM

21,775 posts, read 10,619,609 times
Quote:

apparently Qunnipiac no longer releases their actual polling data. No matter, lets just go by the assumption that turn out is even with 2012.

93% of Iowa's vote will be white
54% will be women.
33% will be Democrats, 33% will be republicans, 34% will call themselves independents.

from the survey itself

Hillary leads amount women 47% to 37%

She leads among Democrats 82% to 8
Christie only leads among Republicans 80 to 8%
Christie leads by one point when it comes to independents.

simply adjust the numbers to be proportional to the voting population and you see it isnt a tie, Hillary wins by 4*which is within their margin of error. Polling people who sit at home doesnt mean anything( just saying)

so is she unbeatable, no(because no one is unbeatable), but even with the best candidate the republicans put forward, they lose in a head to head with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or