Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModerateHero View Post
Trying to seem 'credible' to the frothing social conservatives, and then appeal to the moderate swing voters
has the GOP playing both sides of the court. Or, 'both ends of the table' if you prefer a ping-pong analogy!

Republicans are lost in the wilderness, sad to say.
Which leaves the door open for a divisive figure like Clinton.

As opposed to, say:
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.)
Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley
Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.)
Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.)
or
Governor Deval Patrick

LOL, okay just kidding about that last one.
so glad to hear you are kidding about the last one: Please, Please, Please NO Patrick.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so glad to hear you are kidding about the last one: Please, Please, Please NO Patrick.
whats wrong with Governor Patrick ?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Christie is a better politician than Giuliani.
I would agree with you but many of us, who supported Giuliani, like my husband (me to some degree) can't understand what happened? He went from way up here, to way don't there!!! I am not sure how strong Christie will be on the west coast and even the southwest. I don't know if it is the accent, the tough exterior or the fact he is a little rough around the edges, I am just not convinced he will be able to pull off a victory. As much as I rather like him, he might be better just continuing to lead the state he loves so much and not seek higher office. Now, for anyone who thinks for a second, Hillary can't be beat, don't be so sure. It is a long way til the election.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:46 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
I would agree with you but many of us, who supported Giuliani, like my husband (me to some degree) can't understand what happened? He went from way up here, to way don't there!!! I am not sure how strong Christie will be on the west coast and even the southwest. I don't know if it is the accent, the tough exterior or the fact he is a little rough around the edges, I am just not convinced he will be able to pull off a victory.
I liked Giuliani too, but IMO he just didn't want to run. I haven't met Christie, but those who have say he has an appealing gruff charisma that will suit him well on a campaign. Now lets see if he wants it badly enough to throw his hat in the ring.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:07 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Support appears to be gaining for Hillary Clinton to succeed the great President Obama as President of the United States in 2016. She would be the first WOMAN to hold that position, a result of the CHANGE that President Obama represents. Should would get even more support than President Obama did in this last election, completely obliterating the GOP opposition. The GOP will again waste a FORTUNE in the losing effort. Imagine her having Colin Powell as her running mate. How about an Latino as her running mate, or an Asian? Maybe she would pick someone who is of mixed-race and GAY? Any combination dooms the hapless GOP. There isn't a GOP candidate alive who could compete.

Former top Obama aides join pro-Hillary effort - First Read
She'll win soundly, but your use of caps when describing people like "GAY" or place an emphasis on ethnicity suggests you view certain classes as just that... a class, and not as individuals.

In any event the two party system sucks and it doesn't matter who wins, we'll all be worse off for it no matter what.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:25 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
I would agree with you but many of us, who supported Giuliani, like my husband (me to some degree) can't understand what happened? He went from way up here, to way don't there!!! I am not sure how strong Christie will be on the west coast and even the southwest. I don't know if it is the accent, the tough exterior or the fact he is a little rough around the edges, I am just not convinced he will be able to pull off a victory. As much as I rather like him, he might be better just continuing to lead the state he loves so much and not seek higher office. Now, for anyone who thinks for a second, Hillary can't be beat, don't be so sure. It is a long way til the election.

That's easy;
He was pro-choice
Pro gay civil union, but did try to back track on that
He was anti gun and sued the gun manufacturers
He once formally declared NYC a sanctuary city, by ordering police too never question the status of an immigrant.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
That's easy;
He was pro-choice
Pro gay civil union, but did try to back track on that
He was anti gun and sued the gun manufacturers
He once formally declared NYC a sanctuary city, by ordering police too never question the status of an immigrant.
I would agree with you for the most part, but he was all of that in the beginning and very popular, it only took about 2 primaries for him to go from the top to the bottom, so I have to think it was more than what you are saying. bTW, the gun issues really did not play into the scene in 2008. Actually I don't think the gay rights issue was all that big either.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:52 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Hillary is not going to win. She'll go down in history as saying "If I had a son he'd look just like Trayvon Martin" with Bill silently standing behind her nodding his head in agreement.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
She'll win soundly, but your use of caps when describing people like "GAY" or place an emphasis on ethnicity suggests you view certain classes as just that... a class, and not as individuals.

In any event the two party system sucks and it doesn't matter who wins, we'll all be worse off for it no matter what.
You attempt to try to interpret what it "suggests" is an exercise that you must struggle with I suppose. There is no ambiguity.

The two-party system is what we have now, and as it stands, Republicans are in serious trouble because they have failed to recreate themselves to get away from the disaster that Bush exposed them as. They can't flourish being a party of BIGOTS. My use of caps here refers to the fact that the most racially-insensitive and bigoted people in this country support the GOP. It also suggests that the GOP widens the racial divide and perpetuates racial discrimination by being either indifferent or practicing it as a matter of course. The GOP is in serious trouble, a reflection of good times ahead.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
You attempt to try to interpret what it "suggests" is an exercise that you must struggle with I suppose. There is no ambiguity.

The two-party system is what we have now, and as it stands, Republicans are in serious trouble because they have failed to recreate themselves to get away from the disaster that Bush exposed them as. They can't flourish being a party of BIGOTS. My use of caps here refers to the fact that the most racially-insensitive and bigoted people in this country support the GOP. It also suggests that the GOP widens the racial divide and perpetuates racial discrimination by being either indifferent or practicing it as a matter of course. The GOP is in serious trouble, a reflection of good times ahead.
I just noticed you live in California. That explains your militant liberal racism.

Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections