U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-26-2013, 09:04 PM
 
2,777 posts, read 2,910,928 times
Reputation: 2312

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
You people are overlooking the elephant the room: Obamacare. It's very easy for you to say that Hillary is "unbeatable", but that's only because this is still 2013 and the public hasn't yet had to deal with the burden of Obamacare. Wait until the individual mandate goes into effect, and witness that consequences that such a requirement will bring.
The takers outnumber and outvote the makers; what do they care of the ACA?

Accept that she will be POTUS, it will make it easier. If the GOP had half a brain they wouldn't field a candidate and instead focus on the House and Senate, alas they do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2013, 05:36 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
The takers outnumber and outvote the makers; what do they care of the ACA?

Accept that she will be POTUS, it will make it easier. If the GOP had half a brain they wouldn't field a candidate and instead focus on the House and Senate, alas they do not.
well I guess one way to get her elected would be for the Republicans to just bow out altogether. I have to think you made the comment tongue in cheek?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 05:44 AM
 
2,777 posts, read 2,910,928 times
Reputation: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well I guess one way to get her elected would be for the Republicans to just bow out altogether. I have to think you made the comment tongue in cheek?
Yes and no; the electoral map/votes and demographics ensure any Democrat will be POTUS.

If the GOP were smart (and they're not) they would concede this basic fact of math and entry level statistics and not waste resources on a grueling race they will lose and instead focus on the Legislative branch and even statewide offices where they have better results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,543 posts, read 1,776,617 times
Reputation: 944
I have a question,

Does anyone believe that a Republican can win with only 10 percent of the black vote, and 30 percent of the Hispanic or Asian vote, other then if there was a very low turnout amongst those groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 AM
 
5,235 posts, read 3,008,358 times
Reputation: 2007
All the Repub would have to do is trot out the families of the slain Bengazi 4 and that 3 a.m. phone call.... She's toast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 08:11 AM
 
5,235 posts, read 3,008,358 times
Reputation: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I repeat: TIN FOIL HAT TIME!!!!!!!


Ken

PS - posts like yours above are so "out there" that they are truly laughable. Do you REALLY expect ANYONE with ANY common sense to take you seriously when you make those kinds of truly nonsense claims?
Well Obama's EPA war on coal is effecting W.V. to where a resident said their town is starting to resemble a third world country on the news? He is putting regulations into place where we cannot sell our coal to foreign countries for export. Obamanationism the new 3rd world order is leading US downward not Forward as he claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38641
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I have a question,

Does anyone believe that a Republican can win with only 10 percent of the black vote, and 30 percent of the Hispanic or Asian vote, other then if there was a very low turnout amongst those groups?
I am surprised you would ask that question. Who was President for 8 years before Obama? What makes you think only 10% of the blacks and 30% of the Hispanics will vote Republican? Every election is different. Remember, the last 2 elections there was a black candidate running. We know the % of blacks that went to the polls in 2008 was much higher than normal. Doesn't that say something? As for the turnout, the Asians will vote regardless, the Hispanics notoriously do not vote at the same rate as whites. it is surprising Asians vote Democrat, but then when you think of the regions with high Asian population I guess it is easier to understand. They are also regions that are more liberal overall; CA. and WA. for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,543 posts, read 1,776,617 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am surprised you would ask that question. Who was President for 8 years before Obama? What makes you think only 10% of the blacks and 30% of the Hispanics will vote Republican? Every election is different. Remember, the last 2 elections there was a black candidate running. We know the % of blacks that went to the polls in 2008 was much higher than normal. Doesn't that say something? As for the turnout, the Asians will vote regardless, the Hispanics notoriously do not vote at the same rate as whites. it is surprising Asians vote Democrat, but then when you think of the regions with high Asian population I guess it is easier to understand. They are also regions that are more liberal overall; CA. and WA. for starters.
First of all 90 percent of blacks voted for Gore and Kerry, so nothing was different with them during the Bush years. Bush did get over 40 percent of Hispanics, mainly because he was immigrant friendly and always campaigned on some sort of amnesty for the undocumented within the Hispanic community. Immigration is a "big personal issue" with Hispanics and Asians, and lets not forget Hispanics are fastest growing minority in the US.
I have mentioned in this thread several times that popular vote results are meaningless, and when states like Nevada, Florida or Colorado go blue because of large Hispanic populations the Repubs are toast even if they manage to pull 51 or 52 percent of the popular vote nationally. So I would say the next election hinges on the Hispanic vote and barring a Comprehensive Immigration Bill before that, the GOP candidate better not be a self deportation type of guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38641
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
First of all 90 percent of blacks voted for Gore and Kerry, so nothing was different with them during the Bush years. Bush did get over 40 percent of Hispanics, mainly because he was immigrant friendly and always campaigned on some sort of amnesty for the undocumented within the Hispanic community. Immigration is a "big personal issue" with Hispanics and Asians, and lets not forget Hispanics are fastest growing minority in the US.
I have mentioned in this thread several times that popular vote results are meaningless, and when states like Nevada, Florida or Colorado go blue because of large Hispanic populations the Repubs are toast even if they manage to pull 51 or 52 percent of the popular vote nationally. So I would say the next election hinges on the Hispanic vote and barring a Comprehensive Immigration Bill before that, the GOP candidate better not be a self deportation type of guy.
First of all 93% of the blacks voted for Obama, 3% can make a huge difference. You are still overlooking the % of blacks and Hispanics that normally do not vote. The popular vote does make a difference. We all know heavily populated states have more electoral power, anyone with a brain can figure that out. As for NV, Co and Fl going one way last election, it didn't have much to do with the minority vote. It had to do with a lot of other things and leaning one way or the other, doesn't make a state blue or red. These swing states, they're many of them, can go either way, depending on the candidates. Oh, btw, when Bush ran the first time, the subject of amnesty wasn't even an issue.

At this stage of the show it is really pretty ridiculous to try and predict with any accuracy which side will win in 2016. Let's wait and see how things shape up in 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2013, 12:56 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
18,946 posts, read 21,933,320 times
Reputation: 6537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Well Obama's EPA war on coal is effecting W.V. to where a resident said their town is starting to resemble a third world country on the news? He is putting regulations into place where we cannot sell our coal to foreign countries for export. Obamanationism the new 3rd world order is leading US downward not Forward as he claims.
Oh "a resident said their town is starting to resemble a third world country" - so it MUST be so.



First of all, it cracks me up when ignorant folks who have never been to the 3rd complain that the US is becoming a "third world country". If you got electricity, running water and indoor plumbing - you are NOT living like you're in a "third-world" country.

Secondly, even IF a town or neighborhood LOOKS run down and third-worldish, that in no way shape of form means the COUNTRY is like a third-world country. I used to have a neighbor who was an alcoholic. His house and lot looked like a dump - that doesn't mean the country, state, county or even the neighborhood was like living in the third-world. There's been poor parts of the country forever, and there always will be - and the coal mining region of the country has ALWAYS been high on that list. Nothing new about that.

In regards to the "regulations" you are referring to - that's a bunch of ignorant bunk. Coal exports overseas are SOARING - from 39.6 million short tons in 2002 to a record 125.7 million short tons last year, so even WITH new regulations the US will export PLENTY of coal to overseas nations.

Coal, an Obama target, looks abroad News -- GOPUSA

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top