Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Lewinsky View Post
Christie's been weak on illegal immigration, global warming, obamacare, and various other stuff. When you say he's not an "ultra conservative" you mean he's a weak Republican leader more prone to pandering to Democrats than any sort of principle.

I don't remember Reagan and past Republicans ever being similar to New Jersey liberal politics that Christie seems comfortable in. You can't rewrite history.
That just about encapsulates the Tea Party extremism which brooks no flexibility to accommodate political realities, and strongly suggests that Christie is going to be hard-pressed to get the GOP nomination.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
Finally, someone who actually pays attention to politics!

Christie is most definitely not a Democrat. And the fact that the far-right keeps saying that is the most definitive proof of all that they don't know anything because they don't pay attention to what is actually said and done in politics. It's like they solely base all their opinions off other people's (certain news commentators) opinions.
Thank you. Your words were prophetic given the instant responses by a "true believer".

Old 01-12-2014, 09:11 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Somehow, I don't think the "history making" aspect of Hillary for President will resonate with men, except the ultra liberal. Barack Obama was African American, and that we were ready for...but after all, he was a MAN. You can't say that all Democrats aren't a little sexist? Also she's WHITE - she can't count on carrying the African American vote like Barack did. It will eventually be time for a woman President, but I do not think it will be Hillary Clinton.

I think her opponent will be Chris Christie, in spite of Bridge-Gate and the MSM being in the tank for her. And he'll get the Independent male vote.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Somehow, I don't think the "history making" aspect of Hillary for President will resonate with men, except the ultra liberal. Barack Obama was African American, and that we were ready for...but after all, he was a MAN. You can't say that all Democrats aren't a little sexist? Also she's WHITE - she can't count on carrying the African American vote like Barack did. It will eventually be time for a woman President, but I do not think it will be Hillary Clinton.

I think her opponent will be Chris Christie, in spite of Bridge-Gate and the MSM being in the tank for her. And he'll get the Independent male vote.
You could be on to something. I am not sure about Christie, I think there are so many possible Republicans and he is just one of them, but I don't think, just because Hillary is a woman people will run to the polls just to support her. Everyone has to remember, over 90% of the blacks voted for Obama, no where near 90% of the females will support Hillary. Many that will would be voting Democrat regardless of the candidate and as you said, the independent voter, especially the men, may not be so anxious to see her as our president.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryTimrod View Post
Christie pretty unlikely to win the Republican nominee, he'd eeither switch to Democrat or run as an independent. He's really more of a Democrat on the issues at this point.
Thank totally depends on what issues you are referring to: he hasn't taken a clear stand on the illegal immigration problems so you can't say he is right or left on that one: he is pro life, so he isn't Democrat leaning on that one, he certainly isn't pro union, so he isn't left here either: so why are you saying he is more of a Democrat on issues? He isn't an overly conservative Republican, that is for sure, he is mid Atlantic, there are not a lot of over the edge conservatives in that part of the country, but to say Democrat: I strongly disagree. He did seek as much federal help as he could get for his state after Sandy, why wouldn't he?

As for turning to another party, that isn't going to help him, His stands on too many issues would not indear him to the Democrat party and he knows no one is ready to elect an independent. Not that we shouldn't but it isn't time for that.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
It's now 2014, and Republicans still fear a Hilary candidacy. Christie has imploded. Paul? Not a chance in hell. Rubio? How can he run when he keeps a foot in his mouth? Condoleeza? The bigoted GOP couldn't stand to have a black person head the ticket. Also hard to elevate a woman to the top post when they don't respect a woman's right to choose.

Hilary would be the first President of the United States who happens to be a WOMAN. Her husband is more popular than any Republican. He's a former President who was successful and is still honored and beloved like no current Republican is.
Of all the names you mention in the Republican party, what would possess you to even mention Condi Rice? She has never shown any interest, has said over and over she really isn't much of a political person, she is way past her time, and she is happy doing what she does best. Did you throw her name in only cause she happens to be black and a female? doesn't that sound a little bigoted?

As for Clinton being loved and respected? Where are you getting your ideas or are you just basing this on: compared to Obama? Clinton was certainly not a bad Pres. He was a good Pres. in many ways, but certainly not deserving of the pedestal you have put him on...Remember Ben Laden?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Hillary's problem in polls where she trails is she is identified with Obama rather than her husband even within democratic party. Then the Washington connection of stagnation. Likely a governor with more successful record will be next president;IMO. Christie leads now in polls.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryTimrod View Post
Christie pretty unlikely to win the Republican nominee, he'd eeither switch to Democrat or run as an independent. He's really more of a Democrat on the issues at this point.
Christie will never switch to democrat. He's way too fiscally conservative on issues. He's certainly no democrat.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:04 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Does Hillary have the "tingle factor?" Ask Chris Matthews...no, better make that Rachel Madow.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thank totally depends on what issues you are referring to: he hasn't taken a clear stand on the illegal immigration problems so you can't say he is right or left on that one: he is pro life, so he isn't Democrat leaning on that one, he certainly isn't pro union, so he isn't left here either: so why are you saying he is more of a Democrat on issues? He isn't an overly conservative Republican, that is for sure, he is mid Atlantic, there are not a lot of over the edge conservatives in that part of the country, but to say Democrat: I strongly disagree. He did seek as much federal help as he could get for his state after Sandy, why wouldn't he?

As for turning to another party, that isn't going to help him, His stands on too many issues would not indear him to the Democrat party and he knows no one is ready to elect an independent. Not that we shouldn't but it isn't time for that.
Thank you for stating that in a bit more detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections