U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 04:48 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,467,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Bill Clinton is the greatest politician of the 20th century -- like him or loathe him, you can't deny his skills.

Having him on the team would be a fabulous boost to the next Clinton Administration.
Both he and Hillary share tremendous political acumen. Simple fact: Obama won the EC pool 697-379 if I recall (365 in '08, 332 in '12) and he faced just one foe who gave him all he could handle..Hillary Rodham Clinton.

That was one of the best horseraces in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 04:50 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,467,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are right but remember a couple of things that could make a difference: Reagan was not your typical candidate: he offered a new view and had the ability to attract many people, from all sides. She doesn't have the same type of personality. His age was not an issue or now much of one. Also her health will be an issue, whether legit or not and finally, some are saying, wow: he was losing it during his second term, do we want another Pres. that might have mental problems due to aging? So bring up Reagan as an example might do more damage than good. It is true women generally out live men, but her family history of aging and mental status might play a role if anyone decides to dig deep enough.
I honestly do not expect HC to run again in 2020. For that reason, her VP pick will be very interesting, as I suspect it really be with '20 in mind.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:18 PM

12,256 posts, read 7,364,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
And she is only about 2 years younger than McCain was when he was widely derided as being "too old".

Let's face it.

Voters can be really stupid and fickle....which is why Obama beat her in the 2008 primaries despite an enormous gap in experience. However, he was more charming, younger and vibrant.

Hillary, as unfair as it really is, just doesn't have that "it factor" that Bill or Obama or Reagan had.

Now, she may still win, depends whom shows up for the dems and then the reps....but history teaches us that if a more youthful charismatic option shows up.....she is screwed.
McCain's age and health only became a factor in the election because of the flake he picked for a running mate. Face it, if he'd picked someone else, he would have gotten elected.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:20 PM

4,651 posts, read 3,740,901 times
She is not too old, but consider how stressful the job is and how her health is not top notch, she may want to rethink it. Even Obama is getting gray from 6 years on the job.....that is how it ages people. I would not want to do it, However, IF you guys want, I will run as VP with Bill Clinton's wife, I could provide the younger, conservative, intellectual base that the party needs.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:24 PM

19,404 posts, read 13,067,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
McCain's age and health only became a factor in the election because of the flake he picked for a running mate. Face it, if he'd picked someone else, he would have gotten elected.
Nope. McCain was all through when he interrupted his campaign to go back to D.C. to meet with the committee over the impending bank collapse.
That cost him whatever momentum he had built, and he never got any back. From there on, his polls went flat to the end.

Palin didn't help things, for sure. While McCain's polls stayed flat, hers went downward as the election day approached. It's very possible that without her, he may have re-gained some of the points he lost, but he never had enough committed voters to win.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:26 PM

18,794 posts, read 13,610,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I honestly do not expect HC to run again in 2020. For that reason, her VP pick will be very interesting, as I suspect it really be with '20 in mind.
I hadn't thought of that possibility, but it could be. The last prez to run with such a plan may have been James Polk (born 1795), who promised to serve only one term and did so. My opionion has been that Hillary will not run, but it's just guesswork. She didn't really want the SOS job in 2008; why would she want the POTUS job in 2016. Her grandchild is on the way in fall 2014, so what is more important? The call of duty from the DNC, or her grandchild?

It's all just speculation, but if I were a betting man I would bet on Joe Biden as the 2016 nominee.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:45 PM

I love how some people bring up the fact that Hillary is going to be a grandmother as a factor in her not running. Has there ever been a male in the history of the U.S.A. where being a grandfather was a consideration a handicap to running? Look at how many grandchildren Romney has, for crying out loud and they didn't stop him from running.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:02 PM

69,422 posts, read 79,637,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I hadn't thought of that possibility, but it could be. The last prez to run with such a plan may have been James Polk (born 1795), who promised to serve only one term and did so. My opionion has been that Hillary will not run, but it's just guesswork. She didn't really want the SOS job in 2008; why would she want the POTUS job in 2016. Her grandchild is on the way in fall 2014, so what is more important? The call of duty from the DNC, or her grandchild?

It's all just speculation, but if I were a betting man I would bet on Joe Biden as the 2016 nominee.
My thought: if she decides to run in 2016 and wins, she will continue in 2020. She will have proven she loves the lime light too much to give up. Of course her health could enter the picture.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:03 PM

69,422 posts, read 79,637,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I love how some people bring up the fact that Hillary is going to be a grandmother as a factor in her not running. Has there ever been a male in the history of the U.S.A. where being a grandfather was a consideration a handicap to running? Look at how many grandchildren Romney has, for crying out loud and they didn't stop him from running.
Oh for heaven sake, that is a totally different situation.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh for heaven sake, that is a totally different situation.
How is it a totally different situation? Explain it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or