U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 AM
 
Location: north central Ohio
7,994 posts, read 3,946,787 times
Reputation: 4762

Advertisements

I am going to be very surprised if Hilary,even decides to run,I don't think she will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2014, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,382 posts, read 79,598,441 times
Reputation: 38711
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I don't know too much about her, but from what I have heard, NM governor Susana Martinez seems pretty popular. I read that she has one of the highest approval ratings of governors in the US(although it was slightly outdated info, about a year old) and even Democrats in NM liked her. If she at least gets picked for Vice President, that may help capture the Hispanic vote. Maybe on either the Cruz, Carson, Paul, or Rubio ticket.
We lived in NM before she was elected, but still have a lot of friends there; yes, she is very popular, but whether she has any interest in going further in politics no one seems to know. I think many of us would love to have her on a Republican ballot, if not at the top of the ticket in second place. I would love to see a Rubio/Martinez ticket or a Rand/Martinez. I am not holding my breath right now, but I can dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:06 AM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
86,072 posts, read 3,531,815 times
Reputation: 7285
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I don't know too much about her, but from what I have heard, NM governor Susana Martinez seems pretty popular. I read that she has one of the highest approval ratings of governors in the US(although it was slightly outdated info, about a year old) and even Democrats in NM liked her. If she at least gets picked for Vice President, that may help capture the Hispanic vote. Maybe on either the Cruz, Carson, Paul, or Rubio ticket.
People vote for the Presidential candidate, not the VP candidate. The best a VP candidate can do is not hurt the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 AM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,461,468 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
People vote for the Presidential candidate, not the VP candidate. The best a VP candidate can do is not hurt the ticket.
Correct. the ticket with Paul Ryan lost his home state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 AM
 
9,312 posts, read 5,589,565 times
Reputation: 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
People vote for the Presidential candidate, not the VP candidate. The best a VP candidate can do is not hurt the ticket.
I'm not so sure that the VP can't have a major impact on the ticket. Look at Palin. No one can say that she had no bearing on that race. I think she probably drove more people away from McCain than she drew in for him, but she definitely had an impact that made a difference in the race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:46 AM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,461,468 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I'm not so sure that the VP can't have a major impact on the ticket. Look at Palin. No one can say that she had no bearing on that race. I think she probably drove more people away from McCain than she drew in for him, but she definitely had an impact that made a difference in the race.

It is easier to be a negative vs positive impact. She proved that well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,382 posts, read 79,598,441 times
Reputation: 38711
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It is easier to be a negative vs positive impact. She proved that well.
you are right, I do think a VP candidate can hurt the ticket, but it isn't going to help win. That doesn't mean we do not all have a ticket we would love to see. And I don't think McCain would have won no matter who was on the with him. No, she did not help him one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 AM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,461,468 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right, I do think a VP candidate can hurt the ticket, but it isn't going to help win. That doesn't mean we do not all have a ticket we would love to see. And I don't think McCain would have won no matter who was on the with him. No, she did not help him one bit.
I agree, there are VPs I prefer, but it is never for strategic reasons. They have no strategic affect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,904 posts, read 11,015,949 times
Reputation: 9036
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right, I do think a VP candidate can hurt the ticket, but it isn't going to help win. That doesn't mean we do not all have a ticket we would love to see. And I don't think McCain would have won no matter who was on the with him. No, she did not help him one bit.
Yes, she did. Many, many people voted because of Palin. I am one of them. I would never in a million years have voted for McCain alone. I voted for him ONLY because I had to vote for him to vote for Palin.

You're right that he wasn't going to win, no matter what, but he got a huge portion of the votes because of, not in spite of Palin.

I personally heard only one single person say he was voting specifically for McCain.

The McCain/Palin ticket was one of a kind. Never before and probably never again can I imagine voting for a presidential candidate because of the VP pick.

P.S. The Red Wall is going to smash Hillary. Blow her away. I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 11:46 AM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,642 posts, read 3,738,233 times
Reputation: 3903


I am hoping and banking on it, already writing jokes and cartoons to keep America entertained for 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top