U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 11:48 AM

18,677 posts, read 16,591,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I'm not so sure that the VP can't have a major impact on the ticket. Look at Palin. No one can say that she had no bearing on that race. I think she probably drove more people away from McCain than she drew in for him, but she definitely had an impact that made a difference in the race.
W/O Palin, the Dems lack a super-majority Senate in 2009/10. The race widened as her rhetoric lost independent votes, and Al 60th vote Franken won by under 1,000 votes. If Mn does not widen in the closing month after her campaign meltdowns, Franken loses, 60th vote is lacking, and w/o that vote, Obama gets far less passed in 2009 and 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 12:02 PM

12,639 posts, read 7,037,390 times
If she's the best the Democrat Party and/or the country can do, that is pretty pathetic.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:59 AM

22,243 posts, read 14,875,963 times
I'm thinking this might just drive the RWNJs, well, nuts.

Hillary: Minors crossing border must be sent home - The Washington Post

Old 06-19-2014, 07:04 AM

5,503 posts, read 2,382,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post

Oh no!....now they have to be against it.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:07 AM

12,639 posts, read 7,037,390 times
Quote:

So she's lying to appear moderate.

If anything, this should irritate far left extremists, bobtn, who are perfectly content to do nothing about illegal immigration except give illegal aliens more benefits.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 AM

12,263 posts, read 9,104,903 times
Quote:

Do you honestly believe she feels this way about illegals? She's attempting to put some space between her and Obama, but everything out of Hillary's mouth is scripted and poll-tested.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:58 AM

69,877 posts, read 80,365,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Do you honestly believe she feels this way about illegals? She's attempting to put some space between her and Obama, but everything out of Hillary's mouth is scripted and poll-tested.
I am sure the Democrats realize she has to separate herself from Obama if she intends on being the candidate in 2016. Otherwise she is doomed. We will see how she really feels when we get into debate season and there will be challengers to her if she decides to run.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:23 AM

6,056 posts, read 2,152,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I agree, there are VPs I prefer, but it is never for strategic reasons. They have no strategic affect.
Before the development of mass media, it mattered. Maybe as late as the 1930's when FDR had a southern running mate in John Nance Garner it mattered to keep the Southern Conservatives on board, but not now. Every voter has maximum exposure to the Presidential candidate and people vote on the basis of the top of the ticket. The Veep just has to be competent enough to be viewed as being able to step in if the President dies in office.

The one race I can remember a Veep Candidate having a positive effect on the performance of a ticket was when HHH selected Edmund Muskie, but that was mainly due to Agnew scaring people. Humphrey ran an ad that just showed "Vice President Agnew?" on the screen accompanied by hysterical laughter. Compared to Agnew, Muskie was Lincolnesque. Even that wasn't enough to elect Humphrey, but the Wallace candidacy coupled with the Agnew pick made it closer than it should have been.

Also in 2000, the Gore choice of Lieberman arguably increased the Jewish turnout and Democratic vote in Florida. Without him on the ticket, Florida and the national race might have been called for Bush earlier than it was.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 06-19-2014 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 11:25 AM

6,056 posts, read 2,152,605 times
[quote=Dale Cooper;35287209]Yes, she did. Many, many people voted because of Palin. I am one of them. I would never in a million years have voted for McCain alone. I voted for him ONLY because I had to vote for him to vote for Palin.

You're right that he wasn't going to win, no matter what, but he got a huge portion of the votes because of, not in spite of Palin.

I personally heard only one single person say he was voting specifically for McCain.

The McCain/Palin ticket was one of a kind. Never before and probably never again can I imagine voting for a presidential candidate because of the VP pick.
The Red Wall is going to smash Hillary. Blow her away. I can't wait.

Your red wall is a few bricks shy of a load.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:30 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,591,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am sure the Democrats realize she has to separate herself from Obama if she intends on being the candidate in 2016. Otherwise she is doomed. We will see how she really feels when we get into debate season and there will be challengers to her if she decides to run.

All she needs is the Blue Wall. Va & NM are as blue as the wall now due to demographic changes in each, and the Red Wall is absolutely insufficient. That blue wall, being socially moderate, DETESTS the GOP at the presidential level.

The Southern Strategy has turned into the Democrat's best friend, as the fringe elements of the GOP have gotten center stage, alienating the majority of America's EC block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or