U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 02:18 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,568,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Did this include religion?
Yes. It very clearly had a box labeled Catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 PM

9,897 posts, read 11,403,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yes. It very clearly had a box labeled Catholic.

I just don't feel like you can accurately get that data if you truly collecting data rather than exit polling. People are funny about discussing their religion or how they voted.

But, you can easily get age, gender, ethnicity.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:49 PM

42,005 posts, read 31,800,634 times
My husband voted early and was polled afterwards. No one asked about religion. He told them the opposite of what he voted.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,516,225 times
Oh bother .... it's not as if any Catholics actually pay attention to what the Pope or Bishop or priest says about sex, birth control, economics, or politics.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I just don't feel like you can accurately get that data if you truly collecting data rather than exit polling. People are funny about discussing their religion or how they voted.

But, you can easily get age, gender, ethnicity.
It depends on where you live and, if in a city, which suburb of it. I know there are a lot of fundie Catholics around here who went Romney.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:21 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,662,341 times
Like Jewish, Catholic can be a cultural as well as religious description. People may consider themselves Catholic because they were baptized and sometimes attend church on holidays. Not every Catholic is as orthodox as Santorum.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
It depends on where you live and, if in a city, which suburb of it. I know there are a lot of fundie Catholics around here who went Romney.

I think what I'm trying to say is, without the real data from voter registration, you have no idea how Catholics really voted. There's a lot of "group" pressure for Catholics who congregrate together and "say" they are voting the pro-life ticket. But you NEVER know what someone does in the voting booth. I happen to be friendly with a good number of Catholics who stand around at my son's school area with their Romney bumper stickers, yet many of the women told me (quietly) they were voting democrat. Then there's just the one's who are quiet about it because their is pressure in the Church to be anti-abortion above all else.

That's why I keep asking about your statistics. I don't believe that voter registration requires you to put your religious affliation down on the form. There's no real way to get accurate data on how Catholics voted and I would NOT trust polling on that particular demographic (religious).

Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think what I'm trying to say is, without the real data from voter registration, you have no idea how Catholics really voted. There's a lot of "group" pressure for Catholics who congregrate together and "say" they are voting the pro-life ticket. But you NEVER know what someone does in the voting booth. I happen to be friendly with a good number of Catholics who stand around at my son's school area with their Romney bumper stickers, yet many of the women told me (quietly) they were voting democrat. Then there's just the one's who are quiet about it because their is pressure in the Church to be anti-abortion above all else.

That's why I keep asking about your statistics. I don't believe that voter registration requires you to put your religious affliation down on the form. There's no real way to get accurate data on how Catholics voted and I would NOT trust polling on that particular demographic (religious).
I hope the stats are wrong. Usually, polls are somewhat accurate and have reliability margins. I know that some of the Catholic women around me are (were) pro-Romney because he is "a decent man." These EXACT same women voted for Bush last time for the exact same reason: his Christianity, though not over-the-top, came to the surface. Interestingly enough, it's their husbands who are quieter. With them, I talk about cars, and not politics. Their husbands are also more educated and practical, but some of these ladies won't shut up, and I don't back down, be it the economy, politics, or religion.

I voted for Bush in 2000, and for Kerry in 2004, partly as a visceral reaction when an executive where I worked had the nerve to put up an 8.5x11 in one of the coffee galleys with the outfit's "preferred" candidates - all Republican, from top to bottom. We all make mistakes, though. I had some idea what a snake John Edwards was, but I don't think anyone could foresee how rotten he really is. Those $400 haircuts that fall back into place should have told me something. I pay $8 for my haircuts, from these Vietnamese ladies with marginal English who smile a lot.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Like Jewish, Catholic can be a cultural as well as religious description. People may consider themselves Catholic because they were baptized and sometimes attend church on holidays. Not every Catholic is as orthodox as Santorum.
I agree. I think Ken Cuccinelli, VA's attorney general, is cut from the same cloth as Santorum. I've often wondered if Leona Helmsley voted Republican, seeing she had come up in the world from her more humble Brooklyn/ Jewish family origins.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I agree. I think Ken Cuccinelli, VA's attorney general, is cut from the same cloth as Santorum. I've often wondered if Leona Helmsley voted Republican, seeing she had come up in the world from her more humble Brooklyn/ Jewish family origins.
Being from VA, I will love it when Cuccinelli goes. He's frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or