U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Republicans, on a scale of 1 - 10, how painful was your defeat?
1 - painful 4 10.81%
2 - still painful 1 2.70%
3 - more painful 0 0%
4 - most painful 0 0%
5 - even more painful 1 2.70%
6 - too painful 2 5.41%
7 - unbelievably painful 1 2.70%
8 - ridiculously painful 4 10.81%
9 - unbearably painful 1 2.70%
10 - Someone bury me already 23 62.16%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 04:49 PM

47,576 posts, read 59,187,281 times

Advertisements

I gave it a two.

Romney would have done more for bringing jobs just by understanding the nature of businesses and business owners. However he was weak on immigration and the need to have laws and enforcement of the laws. Romney is a liberal Republican that would not have brought any fundamental change.

Romney would have kept us in the Middle East, in Afghanistan where being there is futile. I believe he would like Obama also be a nation-builder while this nation falls flat on it's face.

The problems of this country are so massive at this point, it's going to take more than baby steps toward the right direction. We need an overhaul -- and Obama is the best one to bring everything down so we can start afresh.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:52 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,324,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Maybe as painful as it was for you Libs when G.W. Bush won his second term. Huh?
Actually Bush turned out to be a boon for Democrats. One could argue that if it wasn't for Bush, Barack Obama would not be President today and the Democrats would not have a majority in the Senate. Besides Obama, Bush has been the single most helpful individual to the Democratic party.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:18 PM

5,237 posts, read 4,258,678 times
It's about time the Republican Party stopped pandering to the religious nuts and War-Mongers and Free Trade thieves, and embraced Libertarian values and ideals. Despite knowing that Obama will very likely bring America to utter collapse within the next 4 years, I couldn't bring myself to vote for Romney--another Big Government advocate whose ONLY sane idea is that more taxes will strangle our economy even further. I voted for the Libertarian.

The Republican candidate was known as "the White Obama" and he was supposed to be our ALTERNATIVE to Obama? And they picked him because he was so rich and smooth that he "could possibly win"--as if THAT strategy has EVER worked. We can't keep trying to play both sides and lure liberal parasitic voters by being as close to the Democrats as possible--they are lost. We need to pick philosophical candidates in the Libertarian tradition, and educate people how they would be MUCH better off in a free nation.

Since about 60% of the population (me included) calls themselves "social liberals and fiscal conservatives," all they need is to be educated about what Libertarians are: anti-warmongering, anti-free trade, small and non-interventionist government, low taxes (only possible with a SMALL government), freedom from being thrown in jail for smoking a pot cigarette.

A Libertarian government would never artificially hold interest rates near zero (thus hurting all savers and retirees) in order to continue insane over-borrowing, and certainly would cut government spending rather than increase taxes on the working class (and it will be the working class, not "the rich" that pay for Obama's spending). A Libertarian government would not continue band-aid solutions on a critically dysfunctional economy, and would change things BEFORE we experience total economic collapse. We are leaving a horrendous mess for future generations by doing "politics as usual"--one so bad that no matter WHAT they try to do, they will live in a 3rd World nation at the mercy of government dictators that destroy any hope of freedom or prosperity.

Republicans cannot "out-liberal" the Democrats, and it is time we had a REAL alternative to Big Government and endless foreign wars that eventually lead to total economic bankruptcy.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:21 PM

24,224 posts, read 10,262,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
It seems like Republicans are not interested in talking about their defeat. I wonder why.
Look around at the country. We've been defeated by our last two presidents.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Don't forget white women and just women in general. The only demographic the GOP is still winning is white men over the age of 50. Everyone else has rejected them.
Actually, I just heard on TV that most people over 40 voted for Romney, but were swamped out by the under-40s voting for Obama. I guess it takes a while to learn that Big Government DESTROYS prosperity.

Considering Romney was a "hold your nose and vote" candidate to true Republicans, it is amazing that a full 48% of the voters VOTED FOR ROMNEY. A 48-50% split is HARDLY A LANDSLIDE, or a mandate.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:34 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,147,262 times
Quote:
Judging by the reactions of Republicans to their 2nd consecutive crushing at the polls by Barack Obama, it seems like this loss was even more painful to them than the first one. In fact, Tuesday's loss was so painful to Republicans that it not only triggered some soul searching on the right, but the GOP is now actively involved in self-examination about their party, their policies, and their ideology. This kind of self-introspection is previously unheard of on the right.

After putting it all on the line, with unprecedented amount of dark money to back them up, they still lost one of the most unlikely defeats in US Presidential history with an economy bearing an unemployment rate nearing 8%. In fact, Obama not only won, he won in a landslide and the Democrats added to their majority in the Senate and even picked up seats in the House. Republicans can spin this defeat any way they want, but they can't hide from reality. Something is seriously wrong with the GOP brand. The Republican party is damaged goods.
It's like a run away train with both parties aboard pointing the finger blaming each other doing nothing to stop it from going off a cliff. That's okay our pain will be much much worse when you and I wake up one day seeing the breaking news of the dollar crashing when the FED stops printing and China cashes in their chips sparking off a nation wide panic with long lines due to gas being at 8 dollars a gallon, 18 dollar loaf of bread etc. Some people are incredibly ignorant and clueless. The dooming crash of the dollar knows no party. You'll learn...the hard way.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 PM

5,619 posts, read 4,237,144 times
Not even a little bit painful. Romney would have just been another Obamaesque politician. No true leadership or consensus building qualities. And just like Obama, he would have pacified people instead of telling them the hard truths. Six of one, half dozen of another.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,257,453 times
I don't think normal Republicans are hurting at all. I know anecdotes are anecdotal, but my parents, who are evangelical Southern Baptist and die hard Republican voters had the reaction of, "Meh, hope he doesn't ruin things." A negative, but overall benign response.

My Tea Party uncle, however, has reacted like many of the posters on this website. He has absolutely lost it and is talking about stocking up on can goods and ammo for the impending revolution. He is in a lot of pain right now, but he is not normal.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Good point. Obama essentially swept the floor with every single demographic group except white men. He is a true man of the people.
Funny, but the white males are the ones with jobs, the ones taxed to death to pay for EVERYONE else (remember, the federal income tax hits EARNED INCOME or WAGES the hardest). I wonder how long they'll keep working for the benefit of everyone but themselves?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM

11,536 posts, read 8,550,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Funny, but the white males are the ones with jobs, the ones taxed to death to pay for EVERYONE else (remember, the federal income tax hits EARNED INCOME or WAGES the hardest). I wonder how long they'll keep working for the benefit of everyone but themselves?
Only White power types claim that White men are the only ones that work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or