U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:01 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,760,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
Or you could actually look at recent patterns of GOP nominees.

Romney, McCain, Dole, GHW Bush, Reagan. All candidates who came in second the previous time the nomination was contested, then ran again and won the nomination.

Paul or Rubio would be very a-typical GOP nominees. Santorum, who finished second this time around, would be a very typical GOP nominee. Now, that doesn't mean it will be Santorum. But there's a lot more to suggest it will be him than, say, Rubio.
If the R's nominate Santorum in 2016 (or any other far right candidate), you will see mass celebration in every blue state in the country. Bells will ring, old women will weep with joy, young people will sing, and they'll be serving cake and ice cream on every street corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,068,184 times
Quote:
Or you could actually look at recent patterns of GOP nominees.

Romney, McCain, Dole, GHW Bush, Reagan. All candidates who came in second the previous time the nomination was contested, then ran again and won the nomination.

Paul or Rubio would be very a-typical GOP nominees. Santorum, who finished second this time around, would be a very typical GOP nominee. Now, that doesn't mean it will be Santorum. But there's a lot more to suggest it will be him than, say, Rubio.
Sorry but the people you mentioned didn't make completely fools of themselves like Sanoturm did. The guy can run but he has no chance, the establishment is done with the nutjobs.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 PM

14,548 posts, read 8,136,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Sorry but the people you mentioned didn't make completely fools of themselves like Sanoturm did. The guy can run but he has no chance, the establishment is done with the nutjobs.
IDK, I don't think they are done yet.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 AM

12,261 posts, read 7,394,759 times
I love how Carl Rove blames the "fact checkers" for losing the election. Hint: If your horse in the race didn't lie so much no one would need fact checkers. The lying is the problem, not those who catch you lying. Rove's style of dirty tricks politics don't work so well in this age of Google where any one of us can find and share the truth in seconds.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 AM

755 posts, read 613,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Actually, what Santorum did was come in second despite having virtually no resources. He had nowhere near the money of Gingrich or Perry, yet vastly outperformed them. He got far more votes per dollar spent than Romney. He's already won Iowa, which is the launching pad for Presidential nominees. And he plays well in both the south and with blue-collar constituencies in the north.

Every four years it is this way. Conservatives just cannot believe their next nominee will be the guy who came in second 'last time'. Back in 2004: "McCain in 2004? Haha! Good one! Not a chance!". Back in 2008: "Romney in 2012? Hilarious! No way, never happen!".

I don't care one bit for Rick Santorum. But I can look at history and see how the GOP operates.

Your problem is that you cannot separate the analysis of what is likely to happen from what you want to happen.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:17 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,555,651 times
Quote:
Actually, what Santorum did was come in second despite having virtually no resources. He had nowhere near the money of Gingrich or Perry, yet vastly outperformed them. He got far more votes per dollar spent than Romney. He's already won Iowa, which is the launching pad for Presidential nominees. And he plays well in both the south and with blue-collar constituencies in the north.

Every four years it is this way. Conservatives just cannot believe their next nominee will be the guy who came in second 'last time'. Back in 2004: "McCain in 2004? Haha! Good one! Not a chance!". Back in 2008: "Romney in 2012? Hilarious! No way, never happen!".

I don't care one bit for Rick Santorum. But I can look at history and see how the GOP operates.

Your problem is that you cannot separate the analysis of what is likely to happen from what you want to happen.
What is faulty about this explanation is that Romney was the persumed next GOP nominee almost from the get-go.

We are in different times. I don't expect things to happen in 2016 as they've done in the past. The GOP establishment has cost conservatives too many elections with their Mitt McDole candidates. They've lost the power they once had. Mitt was their last gasp....and they blew it big time.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:22 PM

69,541 posts, read 79,852,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Sure, that's a great idea. We'll see what happens in 4 years when you run Santorum, then.

Just about anybody the Dems put up against him will win in a landslide.
Where are you getting the idea he will be the candidate? It is about as likely as it would be for the Dems to choose Biden. Neither is likely to happen.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 PM

5,763 posts, read 4,227,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Rubio at least makes some sense in terms of trying to sway Hispanic voters, but he's a hard core right to lifer, isn't he?

The only thing that Hispanics have in common is the use of the Spanish language. Only Cubans would vote as a bloc for Rubio; people of Mexican, Puerto Rican and other national descents would have no motivation to vote for someone because of a shared language.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:22 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,304,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
The only thing that Hispanics have in common is the use of the Spanish language. Only Cubans would vote as a bloc for Rubio; people of Mexican, Puerto Rican and other national descents would have no motivation to vote for someone because of a shared language.
Exactly, and even assuming that Rubio would make a dent simply because he's "hispanic", shows just how clueless and clumsy the GOP is in dealing with the emergence of minorities as a powerful voting bloc.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:47 PM

14,271 posts, read 15,308,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
You're right. Living in Florida, I've known many Hispanics, especially since I lived in Bonita Springs for a long time. In any case, when I worked with people from Cuba, most of them had no love for the Mexican people, to put it mildly. Florida is not representative of the Hispanic population in the United States anyway. According to the US Census, approximately half of the nation's Cuban citizens live in Miami-Dade County.

However, in the U.S. the percentage of Hispanics who are of Mexican origin is more than 63%. Another 9.2% are of Puerto Rican background and only 3.5% are Cuban.

I know that doesn't total 100%, but there are a lot of other people from Latin American countries like San Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, etc.

Speaking of Latino politicans, Mayor Julian Castro is also very popular. Additionally, Congressman Luis Gutierrez is well respected in his community. Antonio Villaraigosa is a popular mayor as well. So far, all of the names I just listed are Democrats and all 3 have Mexican origins.

There's no doubt that Marco Rubio is still very popular, but he gained stardom from being a Tea Party favorite in 2010 when they were very strong. He recently said he doubts what scientists have taught us about the Earth. I'm not so sure these extreme views will win anyone the presidency, but I'm too exhausted from this last election to start talking about 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections