U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 59,178,151 times
Reputation: 22182

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
If the mainstream GOP is allowed to run as mainstream Repubs from the first day of the primaries on, the GOP would have a chance.

But first they must be released from their hostage taker-the Tea Party.


BTW, illegals do not vote. the Hispanic landslide against the GOP was a vote of citizens.
Citizens would not need amnesties and dream acts. There's a reason that Obama pandered so heavily to the illegals - and that is because they do vote in our elections.

All it takes if to give an address -- they made sure that no one was required to prove citizenship or identity in this election.

What you really should wonder --- in spite of the big hispanic -- including illegals -- turn out for Obama, why did his popular vote decrease by almost 10 million votes from 2008 to 2012?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2012, 08:27 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,597,148 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What you really should wonder --- in spite of the big hispanic -- including illegals -- turn out for Obama, why did his popular vote decrease by almost 10 million votes from 2008 to 2012?

2008 was the highest vote total by far we have ever seen. 2012 was more in sync with the norm. Even Mitt's 3 million shrink vs McCain was due, no doubt, to mcCain riding the wave of 2008 as well.

2016, 2020, ...will be more like 2012..except with an ever declining while, male percentage of the vote. Something Lamar Alexander is wisely thinking about for his party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 59,178,151 times
Reputation: 22182
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
2008 was the highest vote total by far we have ever seen. 2012 was more in sync with the norm. Even Mitt's 3 million shrink vs McCain was due, no doubt, to mcCain riding the wave of 2008 as well.

2016, 2020, ...will be more like 2012..except with an ever declining while, male percentage of the vote. Something Lamar Alexander is wisely thinking about for his party.
It's kind of interesting that Obama's loss of voters from 2008 to 2012 was close to 10 million in spite of all the new hispanic votes added -- so who did Obama lose as far as voters? Republicans lost 3 million votes -- but if that trend continues, even with Obama adding many more hispanics, if the democrats continue to lose the non-hispanic votes like Obama has - another 10 million versus 3 million loss will get a Republican win.

Or some of the former Obama voters who only voted for him once, could decide to go a step further and vote Republican in 2016. It's all going to depend on how Obama fills his many very big promises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,597,148 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or some of the former Obama voters who only voted for him once, could decide to go a step further and vote Republican in 2016. It's all going to depend on how Obama fills his many very big promises.
All depends on the GOP ability to distance itself from the TP, who are 100% responsible for Obama's 2nd term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Pacific NW
9,436 posts, read 5,516,976 times
Reputation: 7851
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
The popular vote was close. The electoral was a ass whipping. Which number do you put more weight to?
The popular vote is what actually represents the people, you know, those little folk that politicians are supposed to represent. Obama won by 2%, not the 50% that the electoral vote shows.

Which do you think reflects the will of the people more, the electoral college or the make up of the House of Representatives?

I'm sure the left has no problem dismissing the nearly 50% of the people who didn't want Obama and will try to claim this as some overwhelming mandate in spite of reality. They can't grasp the idea that just barely over 1/2 of the voters voted for Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Palo Alto
12,172 posts, read 6,792,212 times
Reputation: 4172
The "right's"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 59,178,151 times
Reputation: 22182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
The popular vote is what actually represents the people, you know, those little folk that politicians are supposed to represent. Obama won by 2%, not the 50% that the electoral vote shows.

Which do you think reflects the will of the people more, the electoral college or the make up of the House of Representatives?

I'm sure the left has no problem dismissing the nearly 50% of the people who didn't want Obama and will try to claim this as some overwhelming mandate in spite of reality. They can't grasp the idea that just barely over 1/2 of the voters voted for Obama.
Yes -- and because of the electoral vote and a few swing states, the actual number of people who got him elected are far less. If Ohio and another state had gone the other way, it would have been a Romney win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 PM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
27,977 posts, read 15,423,093 times
Reputation: 21245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
All depends on the GOP ability to distance itself from the TP, who are 100% responsible for Obama's 2nd term.
They will never see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 08:55 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,597,148 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
The popular vote is what actually represents the people, you know.
The game is played to 270. Nothing else counts. 3 times a POTUS lost the popular vote, and each time he still held the same power as the 41 won won both popular and electoral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
29,264 posts, read 19,262,890 times
Reputation: 7849
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The popular vote proves that this election was at least as much a "mandate" (as Bush described it then) for Obama as 2004 was for Bush. The same clowns calling this one close were calling 2004 a landslide. Such BS.


It really doesn't matter if it was one vote or three million.

The mooches have taken over with no plan for the future except to spend borrowed money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top