U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2012, 12:33 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 28,260,244 times
Reputation: 7824

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'd cut welfare and most federal speding across the board in order to grow the economy just like Clinton did.. You guys act like that is a foreign idea..

There isnt enough wealth that you can tax to wipe away the deficits let alone the debt.

The federal government has DOUBLED over the last 10 years. Do you really see twice the services or twice the benefits because I sure in the hell dont. Poverty record levels, welfare record levels, jobs falling, growth stagnate.. The more you take out of the economy, the worse it will become. Its basic math.
So basically you are hoping Congress does nothing in December and the tax breaks end and the automatic cuts to all programs, defense and non-defense goes into place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2012, 12:49 AM
 
1,512 posts, read 1,525,987 times
Reputation: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The Democratic-controlled Congress back then spent, on average, 2.8% more than Reagan asked for and 24.5% over 8 years.

Also, every balanced budget Reagan presented to Congress was declared DOA by (Democrat) Tip O'Neill.
Sources?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 02:21 AM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,492,484 times
Reputation: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Obamas own budget projections show we'll exceed $20T on his watch. Will you be whining 10x as much as you did under Bushs $250B yearly deficits? Or will you be celebrating all of the handouts he gave everyone while trying to place blame elsewhere?

You guys should be so proud.. $12T projected debt added in only 8 years.. Wow.. Lets go for more!!!
I'd ask you the same thing, because in order to get to 20B, the republicans will have a hand in it. Remember, republicans controlled the house for 2 years and for first two years of obama, he only had a filibuster proof senate for 5 months, so your blood is on this economy as much as the democrats is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 03:16 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth Texas
12,482 posts, read 8,509,536 times
Reputation: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Obamas own budget projections show we'll exceed $20T on his watch. Will you be whining 10x as much as you did under Bushs $250B yearly deficits? Or will you be celebrating all of the handouts he gave everyone while trying to place blame elsewhere?

You guys should be so proud.. $12T projected debt added in only 8 years.. Wow.. Lets go for more!!!
you still do not understand Obama has responsibility because Bush was
so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 03:22 AM
 
Location: #
9,605 posts, read 14,272,131 times
Reputation: 6259
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
Well if you have any ideas of how we can pay off the 16 trillion in debt we owe and get our politicians to actually respect us I'm all ears........
Let the tax cuts expire, for starters.

Getting the politicians to respect us, on the other hand....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 03:26 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth Texas
12,482 posts, read 8,509,536 times
Reputation: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Let the tax cuts expire, for starters.

Getting the politicians to respect us, on the other hand....
Stupid people who think their money belongs to them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 03:33 AM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,904 posts, read 11,001,259 times
Reputation: 9036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
They could care less and if they do, they hope to see it explode so the wealthy will be bright down. This is why I'm expatriating.

The Dems controlled the House and Senate when the financial crisis started and then all 3 levers of Govt after Obama was elected and they have successfully pinned the entire blame on Bush in the minds of most people (then ones easily manipulated by the Left Media)
Astonishing, isn't it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 03:42 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth Texas
12,482 posts, read 8,509,536 times
Reputation: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Astonishing, isn't it!
Remember old white conservative men its a new day... its Bushes fault it will always be Bushes fault . A bad economy is bushes fault does not matter what happens now ,,, unless sit s good then its Obamas doing... all Hail Obama
we need to come together with our liberal master s hold hands and sing kumbya my lord....,oopps there I slipped there is no god. So instead of singing Kumbya my lord around the campfire lets sing Kumbya my lava pool we all accidental came from after the big bang with our liberal masters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,712 posts, read 11,010,658 times
Reputation: 5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
Your average liberal's approach to economics is rooted in theories of social justice and not actually economics so it's no surprise that they shrug off a 20T debt.

Face it pgh, America's best days are behind her. There's nothing we can do about it. Well almost nothing but I don't want to say out loud what we could actually do............
Actually, the average liberal approach to economics is rooted in classical economics, the same economics conservatives believed in before they went off the deep end.

The debt is an accumulation of deficits. Deficits are when revenues minus spending is negative. Obama wanted the Bush tax cuts to expire at the end of 2010. The GOP House held the unemployed hostage and forced Obama to renew those tax cuts. Thus, the GOP is just as much responsible for the total debt.

Moreover, we should resist this shift of focus from the unemployment to deficits. Solve the unemployment program, raise taxes marginally and the debt becomes irrelevant, because the only real increase in spending has been in safety net programs needed due to high unemployment.

As an accomplishment, Obama has reduced the deficit each year to deficits lower than what he inherited from Bush.



Obama Deficits..................Last Bush deficit
FY 2013*: $901 billion FY 2009: $1,413 billion
FY 2012: $1,089 billion
FY 2011: $1,300 billion
FY 2010: $1,293 billion
*projected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth Texas
12,482 posts, read 8,509,536 times
Reputation: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Actually, the average liberal approach to economics is rooted in classical economics, the same economics conservatives believed in before they went off the deep end.

The debt is an accumulation of deficits. Deficits are when revenues minus spending is negative. Obama wanted the Bush tax cuts to expire at the end of 2010. The GOP House held the unemployed hostage and forced Obama to renew those tax cuts. Thus, the GOP is just as much responsible for the total debt.

Moreover, we should resist this shift of focus from the unemployment to deficits. Solve the unemployment program, raise taxes marginally and the debt becomes irrelevant, because the only real increase in spending has been in safety net programs needed due to high unemployment.

As an accomplishment, Obama has reduced the deficit each year to deficits lower than what he inherited from Bush.



Obama Deficits..................Last Bush deficit
FY 2013*: $901 billion FY 2009: $1,413 billion
FY 2012: $1,089 billion
FY 2011: $1,300 billion
FY 2010: $1,293 billion
*projected
billion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top