U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM
 
13,180 posts, read 12,708,186 times
Reputation: 4531

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Love IS A MORMON! Good grief, it clearly was the Libertarians that cost her the seat, and I lean Libertarian!
I'm fully aware Love is a Mormon. Racism is a powerful force isn't it?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2013, 06:22 PM
 
13,180 posts, read 12,708,186 times
Reputation: 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
So again, how do you account for her coming within .31% of winning given this pervasive racism? How do you account for Harry Reid, older white male Mormon who convinced Barack Obama to run for prez.

"Call them racist" is a good example of

[/b]
I don't claim most Mormons voted against her because of her race.

Only a minority of Mormons felt that way.

That's why she lost.

Again, had the right in Utah turned out to vote for her as they did other GOP candidates she would have won in a landslide. The 3rd party votes would have been meaningless.

She lost primarily because of racism, then and only then, did the 3rd party votes matter.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 PM
 
47,314 posts, read 24,700,492 times
Reputation: 14471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Love IS A MORMON! Good grief, it clearly was the Libertarians that cost her the seat, and I lean Libertarian!
Meh..that doesn't explain it. The truth is simply too painful for you to deal with.

Name the other Utah politicians that got hosed by the Libertarians in this election.

If you can run your mouth about blacks on plantations, then take your medicine on this one. Race played a role. Face it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,289 posts, read 20,933,541 times
Reputation: 9977
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
She lost primarily because of racism, then and only then, did the 3rd party votes matter.
You can say she lost primarily because she is Black. Someone else can say it was because she is a woman. Someone else can say it was because she is a Mormon. The truth of the matter is that she lost primarily because most of the state's residents preferred the more moderate incumbent. He has always been extremely popular in Utah, as was his father (who was Utah's governor for two terms).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,372 posts, read 8,905,209 times
Reputation: 4971
Most people said it was a shocking loss for Mia... Racism played a part IMO and sexism played a part as well. Then again, maybe pundits got this one wrong just like the presidential election.

..and I'm not sure what Harry Reid pushing Obama to run proves... Most politicians will do anything to keep their power/position. He probably knew he had a better chance of keeping his spot with Obama instead of Hillary.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 13,617,764 times
Reputation: 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I don't claim most Mormons voted against her because of her race.

Only a minority of Mormons felt that way.

That's why she lost.

Again, had the right in Utah turned out to vote for her as they did other GOP candidates she would have won in a landslide. The 3rd party votes would have been meaningless.

She lost primarily because of racism, then and only then, did the 3rd party votes matter.

Well, here's what bugs me about this. It's not so much what you say. I'm perfectly willing to entertain the notion that she lost due to racism. It's the way you state it, as if it's an incontroverible fact, but it's not.

The fact that other Utah R's won by wide margins is not enough evidence. Were these other candidates small town mayors facing popular incumbents? Were these other candidates Tea Party-types, or more moderate R's in the mold of Hatch, Huntsman, etc? There are probably 100 other possible factors, but you seem to have a need to lay it at the feet of racism. But in fact, we don't know that, and if we don't know, we probably shouldn't make an uncategorical accusation (that's what this amounts to).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 AM
 
47,314 posts, read 24,700,492 times
Reputation: 14471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You can say she lost primarily because she is Black. Someone else can say it was because she is a woman. Someone else can say it was because she is a Mormon. The truth of the matter is that she lost primarily because most of the state's residents preferred the more moderate incumbent. He has always been extremely popular in Utah, as was his father (who was Utah's governor for two terms).
Does that area have a history of electing moderate candidates? I know that it's a new seat, so there's no history of that seat in particular, but how were those people voting before?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,289 posts, read 20,933,541 times
Reputation: 9977
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Does that area have a history of electing moderate candidates? I know that it's a new seat, so there's no history of that seat in particular, but how were those people voting before?
As you said, there's no history of that seat (4th district) specifically, since it was newly-created in 2011. Utah is, as everyone knows, typically conservative. Matheson, however, had represented the 2nd district ever since 2001. Even though he's a Democratic, his votes have consistently reflected the desires of his constituents, which is why they like him. For instance, he voted against Obamacare. In his seven bids for Congress, this is the closest he has ever come to losing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 AM
 
47,314 posts, read 24,700,492 times
Reputation: 14471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As you said, there's no history of that seat (4th district) specifically, since it was newly-created in 2011. Utah is, as everyone knows, typically conservative. Matheson, however, had represented the 2nd district ever since 2001. Even though he's a Democratic, his votes have consistently reflected the desires of his constituents, which is why they like him. For instance, he voted against Obamacare. In his seven bids for Congress, this is the closest he has ever come to losing.
So what are the right wingers crying about then with this nonsense about "libertarians" sinking her candidacy? Sounds to me like she never stood a chance.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,775 posts, read 9,459,265 times
Reputation: 4238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Love IS A MORMON! Good grief, it clearly was the Libertarians that cost her the seat, and I lean Libertarian!
Me too and I thought Mia was awesome. I'm sorry she didn't win, but I hope she will be back. We need more like her.

Why do you believe the Libertarians caused her to lose?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top