U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 AM

3,180 posts, read 2,593,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Me too and I thought Mia was awesome. I'm sorry she didn't win, but I hope she will be back. We need more like her.

Why do you believe the Libertarians caused her to lose?
Because it was such a close vote. Had the Libertarians voted for Love, she would have won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 12:17 PM

21,317 posts, read 21,003,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So what are the right wingers crying about then with this nonsense about "libertarians" sinking her candidacy? Sounds to me like she never stood a chance.
The Libertarian candidate, Jim Vein got 6,439 votes, but since Matheson just beat Love by 768 votes, she could easily have won had the Libertarian vote gone her way.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 PM

1,033 posts, read 1,357,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Because it was such a close vote. Had the Libertarians voted for Love, she would have won.
That's pretty far fetched.

Had the democrats voted for her she would have won too, or republicans. Had .50% more voters showed to the polls she would have won, or .50% had stayed home.

Reality is she didn't get enough votes and no one is to blame.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:28 PM

12,775 posts, read 9,498,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The Libertarian candidate, Jim Vein got 6,439 votes, but since Matheson just beat Love by 768 votes, she could easily have won had the Libertarian vote gone her way.
Maybe so, but the tea party candidates are not going to be able to change the GOP, perhaps it's time to start voting Libertarian. The GOP and the democrats are two sides of the same coin, both big gov't, we need change.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:12 PM

47,314 posts, read 24,863,253 times
Quote:
Why are the Repubs acting as if the libertarians had an obligation to vote for Love? Maybe those libertarians are left leaning!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Maybe so, but the tea party candidates are not going to be able to change the GOP, perhaps it's time to start voting Libertarian. The GOP and the democrats are two sides of the same coin, both big gov't, we need change.
I'm not going to argue with you about the tea party candidates being able to change the GOP, and I, for one, definitely wouldn't want them to. My sister kind of considers me a Libertarian right now, even though I've actually never voted Libertarian.

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-06-2013 at 02:37 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Why are the Repubs acting as if the libertarians had an obligation to vote for Love? Maybe those libertarians are left leaning!
Good question. When you finally figure it out, let me know. I could sort of be described as a left-leaning Libertarian (although I usually just consider myself to be an Independent), and I was for Matheson all the way.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:55 PM

47,314 posts, read 24,863,253 times
Quote:
Good question. When you finally figure it out, let me know. I could sort of be described as a left-leaning Libertarian (although I usually just consider myself to be an Independent), and I was for Matheson all the way.
Help me out here....is this district a mixture of inner city, suburban, and rural voters? I see that you're from SLC...are you from the inner city or the burbs?

I'm asking because although the state is humongous, you only have a few reps. So I assume that those districts must be very large and very mixed politically.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Help me out here....is this district a mixture of inner city, suburban, and rural voters?
It encompasses parts of Salt Lake County, Utah County, Juab and Sanpete Counties. Salt Lake County is where Salt Lake City is located, and it's the most populous and diverse (politically, religiously, and ethnically) of any county in the state. Utah County is also pretty much suburban but very heavily Mormon. Juab and Sanpete counties are much more rural, also mostly Mormon. The district itself is geographically by far the smallest district in the state, but probably the most heavily populated.

Quote:
I see that you're from SLC...are you from the inner city or the burbs?
The burbs. I actually live in Cottonwood Heights, an incorated area about 15 miles from downtown Salt Lake City. The "inner city" (or what I would call Salt Lake City) proper is actually quite small. It's population is about 190,000. The metropolitan Salt Lake City area has a population of about 1.5 million. Generally speaking, the further away from Salt Lake City you get, the more heavily LDS and heavily Democratic the population.

Quote:
I'm asking because although the state is humongous, you only have a few reps. So I assume that those districts must be very large and very mixed politically.
Three of the districts are quite large. District 4 is small and considerably more mixed politically the any of the others (even though I suspect there are relatively few Democrats in Utah County).

Mia Love was the mayor of Saratogo Springs (population just under 18,000), which is located in Utah County, probably one of the most staunchy Republican counties in the United States. She was apparently very popular in her neck of the woods, but decidedly less so in the more moderate Salt Lake County.

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-06-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 PM

3,180 posts, read 2,593,256 times
Quote:
Or maybe those Libertarians are racist .......... oooo, now there's a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or