Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:16 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Love IS A MORMON! Good grief, it clearly was the Libertarians that cost her the seat, and I lean Libertarian!
I'm fully aware Love is a Mormon. Racism is a powerful force isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:22 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
So again, how do you account for her coming within .31% of winning given this pervasive racism? How do you account for Harry Reid, older white male Mormon who convinced Barack Obama to run for prez.

"Call them racist" is a good example of

[/b]
I don't claim most Mormons voted against her because of her race.

Only a minority of Mormons felt that way.

That's why she lost.

Again, had the right in Utah turned out to vote for her as they did other GOP candidates she would have won in a landslide. The 3rd party votes would have been meaningless.

She lost primarily because of racism, then and only then, did the 3rd party votes matter.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Love IS A MORMON! Good grief, it clearly was the Libertarians that cost her the seat, and I lean Libertarian!
Meh..that doesn't explain it. The truth is simply too painful for you to deal with.

Name the other Utah politicians that got hosed by the Libertarians in this election.

If you can run your mouth about blacks on plantations, then take your medicine on this one. Race played a role. Face it.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
She lost primarily because of racism, then and only then, did the 3rd party votes matter.
You can say she lost primarily because she is Black. Someone else can say it was because she is a woman. Someone else can say it was because she is a Mormon. The truth of the matter is that she lost primarily because most of the state's residents preferred the more moderate incumbent. He has always been extremely popular in Utah, as was his father (who was Utah's governor for two terms).

Old 01-05-2013, 07:56 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Most people said it was a shocking loss for Mia... Racism played a part IMO and sexism played a part as well. Then again, maybe pundits got this one wrong just like the presidential election.

..and I'm not sure what Harry Reid pushing Obama to run proves... Most politicians will do anything to keep their power/position. He probably knew he had a better chance of keeping his spot with Obama instead of Hillary.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:43 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I don't claim most Mormons voted against her because of her race.

Only a minority of Mormons felt that way.

That's why she lost.

Again, had the right in Utah turned out to vote for her as they did other GOP candidates she would have won in a landslide. The 3rd party votes would have been meaningless.

Well, here's what bugs me about this. It's not so much what you say. I'm perfectly willing to entertain the notion that she lost due to racism. It's the way you state it, as if it's an incontroverible fact, but it's not.

The fact that other Utah R's won by wide margins is not enough evidence. Were these other candidates small town mayors facing popular incumbents? Were these other candidates Tea Party-types, or more moderate R's in the mold of Hatch, Huntsman, etc? There are probably 100 other possible factors, but you seem to have a need to lay it at the feet of racism. But in fact, we don't know that, and if we don't know, we probably shouldn't make an uncategorical accusation (that's what this amounts to).

Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You can say she lost primarily because she is Black. Someone else can say it was because she is a woman. Someone else can say it was because she is a Mormon. The truth of the matter is that she lost primarily because most of the state's residents preferred the more moderate incumbent. He has always been extremely popular in Utah, as was his father (who was Utah's governor for two terms).
Does that area have a history of electing moderate candidates? I know that it's a new seat, so there's no history of that seat in particular, but how were those people voting before?

Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Does that area have a history of electing moderate candidates? I know that it's a new seat, so there's no history of that seat in particular, but how were those people voting before?
As you said, there's no history of that seat (4th district) specifically, since it was newly-created in 2011. Utah is, as everyone knows, typically conservative. Matheson, however, had represented the 2nd district ever since 2001. Even though he's a Democratic, his votes have consistently reflected the desires of his constituents, which is why they like him. For instance, he voted against Obamacare. In his seven bids for Congress, this is the closest he has ever come to losing.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As you said, there's no history of that seat (4th district) specifically, since it was newly-created in 2011. Utah is, as everyone knows, typically conservative. Matheson, however, had represented the 2nd district ever since 2001. Even though he's a Democratic, his votes have consistently reflected the desires of his constituents, which is why they like him. For instance, he voted against Obamacare. In his seven bids for Congress, this is the closest he has ever come to losing.
So what are the right wingers crying about then with this nonsense about "libertarians" sinking her candidacy? Sounds to me like she never stood a chance.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Me too and I thought Mia was awesome. I'm sorry she didn't win, but I hope she will be back. We need more like her.

Why do you believe the Libertarians caused her to lose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections