U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2012, 02:52 AM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
19,791 posts, read 13,295,730 times
Reputation: 14474

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Uhh... Republicans voters in that district voted for her because she is a Republican - and Matheson was elected by Democrats.

Is that too hard for you to comprehend?
Matheson is a Libertarian who ran as a Democrat. Mormons like Libertarians, even if they call themselves Democrats. I don't know much about the guy, but I'll bet he has lived in the district all his life and has long family ties there. Saratoga Springs is a new district.

But as someone who has lived in Utah, and spent a lifetime in the state next door, I also think Love's race had very little to do with her defeat.
She lives in the heart of Mormon country, Saratoga Springs. After the church President's revelation of 1978, which announced blacks were allowed to become full church members, almost all of the old Mormon prejudice is long gone. The President's word comes straight from God to the faithful, and the faithful obey.

it is more likely that the voters checked her out, gave her a bounce in popularity, then changed their minds in the voting booth. She is not the first newbie politician that had that happen.
However, Love is extremely popular, extremely smart, and only in her mid-30's.

She has lots of time to go places, and she will get a lot of boost because she's a black Utahan. The Mormons are not into tokenism. They are sincere, and they really go for someone who is evidence of their rather recent racial tolerance, as their history is so far in the other direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2012, 03:04 AM
 
Location: Texas
24,186 posts, read 10,244,450 times
Reputation: 5408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Interesting.It became a problem for the candidate for the 4th Congressional District seat when information from a 2011 Deseret News article reported Love describing herself as an "anchor baby". This is a term that some Republicans use to describe illegal immigrants who have children born in the United States, anchors, that earn citizenship for those parents.

Mia Love appeared as a hypocrite as she aligned herself with individuals in the Republican party that want to end birthright citizenship...
Love's Coming to America Story Troubled Campaign
I was about to applaud you as the only one who looked her up. ooops Maybe you did and didn't want to post this

Mia Love had a double digit lead in a Salt Lake Tribune poll on November 1st. So why did she lose in her bid to become the first black female Republican congresswoman in history?
She was sabotaged.
As reported by deseretnews, a Democratic Political Action Committee, UTEPAC, hired a voter contact firm for $10,500, to persuade "thousands of 4th District Republicans" not to encourage them to vote for the Democrat. The thousands of Republican voters were instead, encouraged to vote for a Libertarian third-party candidate.

Mia Love and the Democratic Attack Machine that... | Gather

Did third-party candidate impact Matheson-Love outcome? | Deseret News

How do you loose a minimum 10 point lead less than a week before the election? Is the tribune poll that far off or is this story true?
No one from Utah in too comment yet. Someone there would probably know.

I think its great we've had all these posts and none of the posters checked it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 03:57 AM
 
6,343 posts, read 8,547,358 times
Reputation: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Like I said........see how stupid it sounds? And let me tell you, no matter how many times you say you merely disagree with her politics, a hoard of people will jump all over you and tell you what a racist, misygonist, bigot you are.

Believe me, it gets old very quickly. You're probably already tired of it. We've had to listen to being called racist, women hating bigots for 4 years.

I said it is SURPRISING to see a black, republican Mormon woman (all she had to do is be gay and then I would KNOW I've seen everything)

Nothing against her, just a surprising combination is all.

Black Buddhist democrat Hank Johnson is also surprising...so am I racist against him too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 04:07 AM
 
2,548 posts, read 1,815,302 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I was about to applaud you as the only one who looked her up. ooops Maybe you did and didn't want to post this

Mia Love had a double digit lead in a Salt Lake Tribune poll on November 1st. So why did she lose in her bid to become the first black female Republican congresswoman in history?
She was sabotaged.
As reported by deseretnews, a Democratic Political Action Committee, UTEPAC, hired a voter contact firm for $10,500, to persuade "thousands of 4th District Republicans" not to encourage them to vote for the Democrat. The thousands of Republican voters were instead, encouraged to vote for a Libertarian third-party candidate.

Mia Love and the Democratic Attack Machine that... | Gather

Did third-party candidate impact Matheson-Love outcome? | Deseret News

How do you loose a minimum 10 point lead less than a week before the election? Is the tribune poll that far off or is this story true?
No one from Utah in too comment yet. Someone there would probably know.

I think its great we've had all these posts and none of the posters checked it out.
The libertarian candidate received 2% of the vote, not enough to cost her the election. 10k is not enough to overcome a double digit lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 04:20 AM
 
Location: #
9,605 posts, read 14,368,876 times
Reputation: 6267
Do you people ever google demographics or look at trends before you start threads?

The Democrat in this district barely won, and this is considered a Democrat district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
21,271 posts, read 15,439,845 times
Reputation: 11897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Whenever a black candidate is not voted for - Democrats are quick to pull the race card - as long as the candidate is a Democrat.

Well - a black Republican just lost a congressional election.

I don't hear the liberals on this forum decrying the fact that a black person who happens to be a woman won't take a seat in the Capitol in January.

Can you spell H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y?
Curious: did Mr. Romney carry her district? Because if he did, it would suggest that the people who voted for him didn't vote the ticket. Meaning they made a point of not voting for her.

Read into that what you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 08:39 AM
 
76 posts, read 36,478 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Whenever a black candidate is not voted for - Democrats are quick to pull the race card - as long as the candidate is a Democrat.

Well - a black Republican just lost a congressional election.

I don't hear the liberals on this forum decrying the fact that a black person who happens to be a woman won't take a seat in the Capitol in January.

Can you spell H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y?
She chose her path. I guess this proves that blacks don't vote for race but for party right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,904 posts, read 11,115,310 times
Reputation: 9037
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
She's from Utah...who cares. In the grand scheme of things, they matter about as much as an ant on an elephants behind. So what that she lost. Maybe she can move to Idaho and see if she'll be more popular there.

Lol @ black folks trying to appeal to people in the most milquetoast state in America. Good luck with that. Sometimes you've just gotta know where you do and don't fit in.
So you're suggesting we go back to segregation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Status: "Happy Advent!" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,351 posts, read 99,655,622 times
Reputation: 31854
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Do you people ever google demographics or look at trends before you start threads?

The Democrat in this district barely won, and this is considered a Democrat district.
Right, and the Dem was an incumbent. Mia is very young (36). She can try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 AM
 
Location: 602/520
2,441 posts, read 5,974,674 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Whenever a black candidate is not voted for - Democrats are quick to pull the race card - as long as the candidate is a Democrat.

Well - a black Republican just lost a congressional election.

I don't hear the liberals on this forum decrying the fact that a black person who happens to be a woman won't take a seat in the Capitol in January.

Can you spell H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y?
You make no sense. Why would liberals decry the fact that a teapublican failed to win a seat in office? I heard her speak at the RNC and was not impressed. She was clearly just a string puppet for the Tea Party, said nothing new, and couldn't even project her voice in a way to maintain the attention of the audience. Also wouldn't logic tell you that Democrats would support ANOTHER Democrat? You teapublicans need to realize that your base is so weak that candidates in states like Utah can't even get elected.

Realize that it's your party that out of touch with the majority of Americans. It's not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top