U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,739,110 times

Advertisements

Looks like Paul Ryan's out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 07:07 AM

6,568 posts, read 3,455,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
romney was good, better than most. u cant lead those who wont follow.
a nation divided falls said lincoln
the credit card junkies and free loaders are in the drivers seat and obama speaks their language

lets tax the people u dont like, those who have their act together so u can continue on the dole. lets share.
LOL.
Credit card junkies and freeloaders like these?

Obama Wins 8 of the Nation

Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,082,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Presently I see no republicans in politics that are going to be on the front burner, but I DO see a couple in the public eye that just happen to be republicans.
I think you may see something with Shawn Hannity, and Glen Beck moving into the political arena.
I'm sure there are others, but those two come to mind right now.
Bob.
Oh, please! I've been a staunch R all my life (although I'm ashamed to admit I voted for Carter). McCain was horrible. Romney was hideous. Hannity and/or Beck would cause me to change to D.

I don't see anyone out there right now that makes me sit up and take notice. Maybe Rubio but for the wrong reasons. Maybe Rand but he's not very polished, which wouldn't matter to me but it would kill him in debates. It's unfortunate that we vote for the best speaker, best dresser, most hip, without paying the slightest bit of attention to what they're saying.

I hate it that we keep putting senators in the white house. I've always been partial to governors, but I would prefer a business person or military person.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,136,107 times
Lightbulb Who will lead the Republican Party in the future?

He's fired up. Ready to go.

For the GOP, the past is prologue.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:36 AM

27,669 posts, read 15,279,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Presently I see no republicans in politics that are going to be on the front burner, but I DO see a couple in the public eye that just happen to be republicans.
I think you may see something with Shawn Hannity, and Glen Beck moving into the political arena.
I'm sure there are others, but those two come to mind right now.
Bob.
That would be a huge step backward for the GOP. But, whatever.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:58 AM

5,576 posts, read 3,486,149 times
In fairness, the number of conservatives who, like this writer, have no religiously-grounded objections to abortion or sexual issues, but find them emblematic of the Democrats' parasitic philosophy of schmoozing narrowly- and amorally-focused special interests -- of offering them what they want at the expense of someone else who has to "pay without say" is growing,

Ah. So more than half the population is now a "narrowly- and amorally-focused special interest."

Interesting. And no one really knows what percentage of the population is gay, but I'll bet it's not particularly "narrow" either.

As more amoral, that's OK that you think that way. It's just not OK that you presume to decide morals for others in legislation.

Oh, and you're not paying for abortions, birth control or gay marriage and you know it. And we in the real world call the Democrats' big tent "diversity" and embrace it because it's the right thing to do. Calling it "pandering" and whining about your non-existing burden of "paying" for it is all just cover for your loathsome bigotry.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 AM

12,482 posts, read 8,566,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
What will become of Republicans going forward? Mitt Romney will fade away and I wouldn't expect to see Gingrich or Santorum lbeing taken seriously. I don't see Sen. McConnell or John Boehner as the voice of the future in the party. After the election hangover fades, who will lead? There seems to be an absence of a strong leader in the party. What needs to change for Republicans to be succesful in the future? Will Libertarians start to have a larger presence?
republican are just rich racist white guys. so they can accept Obama as the great leader or die off. either way problem with those republican who think spending is out of control will be handled

Old 11-11-2012, 11:25 AM

69,708 posts, read 80,059,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
What will become of Republicans going forward? Mitt Romney will fade away and I wouldn't expect to see Gingrich or Santorum lbeing taken seriously. I don't see Sen. McConnell or John Boehner as the voice of the future in the party. After the election hangover fades, who will lead? There seems to be an absence of a strong leader in the party. What needs to change for Republicans to be succesful in the future? Will Libertarians start to have a larger presence?
I might say the Libertarians will play a bigger role, but I don't think, until they can get win more local and statewide elections, we can see them make much headway, nationally. All you have to do is look at Johnson. Check and see how he did in NM, your state and his. I really expected a lot more from him.

Who will lead the GOP? That is a great question; I am looking at a Jeb Bush for starters. No, I do not mean as a candidate, that will go to younger, fresher candidates, but he would be a great leader of the party. In my opinion, the only issue that has to be addressed is how they attract more minorities, especially Hispanics.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 AM

69,708 posts, read 80,059,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Why didn't I vote Republican? B'c it's just too damn right. I'm pretty center-to-liberal when it comes to social issues but fiscally conservative. I'm obviously not speaking for all but people I know that are not democrats feel the same way.

The Republican party picks a conservative candidate to win the primaries but they need someone closer to the center to win the election. They need to reach out to women and minority voters. They can't just rely on the conservative Christian votes and the conservative Christians need to look past always trying to vote for the "most conservative candidate".

The Democrats in the past few elections have done a superb job getting the young vote. Republicans need to amp it up in that department. They need to make "being a Republican" hip. Probably not what a lot of Republicans care to hear but if you want to win the election, in my honest humble opinion, you can't reach out to just one set of distinct voters. That's my 2 cents ... or 1 cent. I'm sure I'll be getting a lot of backlash but hubby and I had a discussion about this and I just felt like I had to chime in. Please don't send hate mail.

P.S. Saying DUMB comments don't help either ... like that one Senator saying getting pregnant from rape is rare b'c we as women can shut it all down. Or that other guy that said if women do become pregnant from rape, God intended it to happen. I'm paraphrasing. It's fine if you believe that but comments like that make undecided voters cringe. Just sayin'.
The Democrats have done a great job of getting the young vote? Is that why 6% of the young that voted for him in 2008 didn't this time? You are right about the 2 idiots running for senate, but the Republican party as a whole backed off from both of them, actually asking Akin to step down...There will always be jerks in both parties. We had a guy running for rep here in AR, a Democrat that was so full of lies, it was diplorable. He did step down, cause he was going to lose anyway and he knew it, but had he not made such as ass of himself, he might have had a good future.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 PM

11,536 posts, read 8,521,901 times
Limbaugh, but he's doing it already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or