U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 PM

9,042 posts, read 17,301,151 times

Advertisements

What will become of Republicans going forward? Mitt Romney will fade away and I wouldn't expect to see Gingrich or Santorum lbeing taken seriously. I don't see Sen. McConnell or John Boehner as the voice of the future in the party. After the election hangover fades, who will lead? There seems to be an absence of a strong leader in the party. What needs to change for Republicans to be succesful in the future? Will Libertarians start to have a larger presence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 PM

11,361 posts, read 6,783,711 times
If the Republican Party, and the conservative movement as a whole, want to capture the intelligent voter, the Religious Right have to be shown to a back bench, and told, in no uncertain terms, to stay there. They will throw a fit, but sooner or later, they'll own up to the fact that they have no other option.

The combined vote for Romney, Johnson and Paul comes very close to Obama's total. The Democrats probably won primarily because Rick Santorum's candidacy fired up the most strident among a group that likely alienates more than it attracts.

In fairness, the number of conservatives who, like this writer, have no religiously-grounded objections to abortion or sexual issues, but find them emblematic of the Democrats' parasitic philosophy of schmoozing narrowly- and amorally-focused special interests -- of offering them what they want at the expense of someone else who has to "pay without say" is growing, and likely will continue to do so as the fiscal and moral bankruptcy of the Obama-nation's policies hits home.

We'll be waiting, but Reverend Billy-Bob has to be taught to hold his tongue.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-09-2012 at 11:20 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 09:01 AM

9,042 posts, read 17,301,151 times
So will the Tea party come swinging back in 2014 or will the Libertarian Party actually put somebody else front and ceter than actually resonates to conservatives that arn't hellbent on antiquated social conservatism, besides Ron Paul (whom in all fairness is aging)?

Old 11-10-2012, 12:10 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,752,895 times
Who will lead the Republican Party in the future?

Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
romney was good, better than most. u cant lead those who wont follow.
a nation divided falls said lincoln
the credit card junkies and free loaders are in the drivers seat and obama speaks their language

lets tax the people u dont like, those who have their act together so u can continue on the dole. lets share.
LOL.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-10-2012 at 12:59 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 08:46 PM

4,763 posts, read 6,922,203 times
Presently I see no republicans in politics that are going to be on the front burner, but I DO see a couple in the public eye that just happen to be republicans.
I think you may see something with Shawn Hannity, and Glen Beck moving into the political arena.
I'm sure there are others, but those two come to mind right now.
Bob.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:25 PM

19,356 posts, read 13,010,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
romney was good, better than most. u cant lead those who wont follow.
a nation divided falls said lincoln
the credit card junkies and free loaders are in the drivers seat and obama speaks their language

lets tax the people u dont like, those who have their act together so u can continue on the dole. lets share.
LOL.
But Romney is through now.
All of this junk has nothing at all to do with who the next likely Republicans may be. Try to stay on topic, please- this old horse of yours was beaten to death long ago, and whipping it some more is silly.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:57 PM

4,268 posts, read 13,710,483 times
Why didn't I vote Republican? B'c it's just too damn right. I'm pretty center-to-liberal when it comes to social issues but fiscally conservative. I'm obviously not speaking for all but people I know that are not democrats feel the same way.

The Republican party picks a conservative candidate to win the primaries but they need someone closer to the center to win the election. They need to reach out to women and minority voters. They can't just rely on the conservative Christian votes and the conservative Christians need to look past always trying to vote for the "most conservative candidate".

The Democrats in the past few elections have done a superb job getting the young vote. Republicans need to amp it up in that department. They need to make "being a Republican" hip. Probably not what a lot of Republicans care to hear but if you want to win the election, in my honest humble opinion, you can't reach out to just one set of distinct voters. That's my 2 cents ... or 1 cent. I'm sure I'll be getting a lot of backlash but hubby and I had a discussion about this and I just felt like I had to chime in. Please don't send hate mail.

P.S. Saying DUMB comments don't help either ... like that one Senator saying getting pregnant from rape is rare b'c we as women can shut it all down. Or that other guy that said if women do become pregnant from rape, God intended it to happen. I'm paraphrasing. It's fine if you believe that but comments like that make undecided voters cringe. Just sayin'.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,435,858 times
A Joe Scarborough type group of Republicans could make elections for POTUS true contests again.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:46 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
Its seems the Op does not understand how each party works. Both the democrtic and republican are private organizations with mebership that the majority who vote have no say so in. They vaote repersentatives who makepu the platform. the people on the commiteee in 2008 chnaged form the majority of centraist when Clinton controlled the committee.Tere will agfin be a struggle as Clinton will want contro back after Obaam laves from the left wing of the democratic party.So basically Romney was the candidate of the aprty but does mea he controls the aprty really.Conserbtives just like the left with democrats control the aprty by majotiy oin the committee.If you not a offical member then you have no real voice.you ahve to egt out and work to ahave a voice eventually . Basically you earn it.Some wnader why their concerns get low priority;not you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or