Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 03:52 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,067,689 times

Advertisements

...and here we have it folks...the face of integrity, generosity and patriotism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,156,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I sense intensive tax audits in his future.
Well, that may be part of the bankruptcy proceedings. Of course, The One told us that energy costs would "necessarily skyrocket" so I'm sure the IRS will go after him when he has to raise his prices high enough to cover the cost of the oppressive EPA regulations placed on his business. One way or the other, he's screwed.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
BWAHAHAHAHA! Where? In China?

Need I remind you:

Obama's alternative energy bankruptcies - Oct. 22, 2012

Coal natural. Coal burns. Coal dirty. Live with it.
You live with it. I live in a city that has a Mayor that endorsed a Presidential candidate that supports Green Energy..don't you? Are you in so much of a bubble that you do not realize that the industry has had successes???

Federally Funded Green Energy Projects – Not Such A Failure ...

Federally Funded Green Energy Projects

Old 11-10-2012, 04:00 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,634,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Coal will become more expensive and more difficult to obtain going forward. Order early and order larger quantities.
Exactly. It's the consumer who will pay the bill.
Don't tell the dems, though. It's too difficult to understand and will confuse them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You can do your part by shutting off your computer, and stop causing death of people who live nearby..
Yeah. And stop using products made from oil byproducts. Which is pretty much everything.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:06 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,156,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You live with it. I live in a city that has a Mayor that endorsed a Presidential candidate that supports Green Energy..don't you? Are you in so much of a bubble that you do not realize that the industry has had successes???

Federally Funded Green Energy Projects – Not Such A Failure ...

Federally Funded Green Energy Projects
Yeah, uh, I don't see a single SUCCESS story in that article. I live on Long Island. Many areas still have long gas lines and are without power TWO WEEKS after the hurricane. You are delusional if you think "green energy" is the least bit relevant. Look to Spain.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Yeah, uh, I don't see a single SUCCESS story in that article. I live on Long Island. Many areas still have long gas lines and are without power TWO WEEKS after the hurricane. You are delusional if you think "green energy" is the least bit relevant. Look to Spain.
No, I look to Germany where I have relatives. So get some coal for your coal stove. Did anyone ever stop you from purchasing one?

Tunnel vision does nothing to compete in a global economy...

Quote:
And the Army is planning to invest $7 billion over the coming years to obtain 25 percent of its energy from renewable sources by 2025. Most importantly, these investments will save lives and make America a more secure nation.
And herein lies the contradiction: Our nation’s biggest investors and armed forces clearly support the renewable energy technologies. Why, then, are so many politicians so far behind? Why are our nation’s biggest investors and our armed forces sticking with renewable energy technologies when some in Congress have abandoned them?

Because those politicians have failed to look at the big picture. Anyone who has invested in a new growth industry understands that success is often accompanied by some failure. To take the solar industry as one example, verticals that experience exponential growth will also have their share of falling costs. In the end, some companies go under, while others thrive. It happened with the American auto industry. It happened with the American software industry. And today, it is happening with solar. That is why leaders with the long view aren’t heading for the hills. They are doubling down

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debat...rgys-villainy/

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment...he-right-video

Last edited by sickofnyc; 11-10-2012 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,891,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
The coal industry has had decades to clean up their act. Seriously, if it's a choice between cutting jobs and allowing the industry to continue spewing mercury into the air, I'd rather see the jobs disappear. Mercury pollution is no joke.

Mercury is a deadly neurotoxin. When it gets into the air, it falls in rain and enters the food chain, eventually ending up in fish we eat. Several of the lakes nearby have a consumption advisory on game fish due to mercury contamination. It's even found in significant quantities in large commercially fished species like swordfish and tuna. Think about that next time you make a tuna fish sandwich.
The mercury deposition rates in the US under these new rules will result in a 1% to 10% reduction and according to EPA estimates increase the average IQ 2/1000 of one point.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Power plants are shifting to cheaper cleaner natural gas. Does the coal mine operator think that the govt. should force power plants to buy what they don`t want?
The cheaper natural gas is one reason but effective in March will be the new CO caps which effectively will prevent any new coal plant from being built.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You can do your part by shutting off your computer, and stop causing death of people who live nearby..
By this I assume you mean the "X number of diseases and fatalities" attributed to coal?

You ever wonder how they arrive at those numbers? They use what is called linear dose assessment that assumes every particle of pollution is equally as dangerous. For example they did a study on ladder falls, suppose the results of this study show if 20 people fall off a 20 foot ladder 10 of them die.

From there they extrapolate and for every 400 feet a population is too fall 10 are going to die. If forty people fall off a ladder 10 feet high 10 still die. If 400 people fall off a ladder 1 foot high 10 still die. If millions fall off a crack in the sidewalk 10 still die.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
What Murray did was based on pure speculation on the outcome of Obama being re-elected.
There is no speculation, the CO caps effective in March will prevent any coal plant from being built. End of story, you need a market for your product and if the EPA has effectively banned it's use by limiting CO output you don't have any customers.

Having said that I hear the export business to China and other Asian countries is booming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections